Lucy20003dya
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am taking my English literature exam in 2020. I really struggle with English and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to get better? thanks!
chlo_bel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What texts are you studying?
sallycheh12345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

I think planning exam questions is the way to go about it. it helped me so much and at GCSE I achieved a 8 in English lit and Lang. But this obviously varies for each student. but planning the question helped me get quotes in and content and context that were important and part of the AOs.

I now do a A level English lit and for the AS I achieved an A grade. I continue to use the same method.

Hope this helps
Lucy20003dya
Rep:
?
(Original post by chlo_bel)
What texts are you studying?
I am studying 1984 and Romeo and Juliet
Lucy20003dya
Rep:
?
thanks so much! Did you make pages with quotes for each character and theme?

(Original post by sallycheh12345)Hey,

I think planning exam questions is the way to go about it. it helped me so much and at GCSE I achieved a 8 in English lit and Lang. But this obviously varies for each student. but planning the question helped me get quotes in and content and context that were important and part of the AOs.

I now do a A level English lit and for the AS I achieved an A grade. I continue to use the same method.

Hope this helps
Vib_A
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do plenty of past papers for one and secondly be sure you know how to write answers in 'paragraph form' and also how to structure your paragraph in a way that the answer starts with an introduction to the topic in the first para, explains the topic in the second para and in the last para you summarize what needs to be overall in regards to the topic. Some of the exam questions may also ask for your opinion on whatever the topic is, so you need to add your own well opinionated view in the third paragraph of your answer.

Unlike other subjects, I found out I had to implement that technique in many of my answers for the exam which was difficult at first but my tutor helped me and I eventually got used to the format.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads