The Student Room Group

Clucking up some A*s! (hopefully)

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy ... yep it's me!

I'm back well tbh I don't think that many people missed me, but this is gonna be a continuation from this gyg, that I started back in March or something. So for the fellow newcomers, who don't know much about me: I'm a yr13 as of Sept 4th and ~I'm aN aSpiRiNg mEdiC~.

Here's a lil' bit of facts for you:

GCSEs:

Spoiler

Predicted Grades:

Spoiler

So yh, I'm taking bio, chem, maths and FM all to yr13 - mainly coz, as much as I'd hate to say it I kinda find maths fun. I'm also doing an EPQ on CRISPR and stuff, but this is still in the research stage so it's not confirmed.

The main aim of making one of these is to just keep my life at check and to make sure I'm doing the right stuff at the right time. I'll try to make weekly updates but that's probably not gonna hold true. It really depends whether I have enough content to write about and whether or not I'm flooded with work or not. Apparently yr13 is a trek, so maybe take the 'weekly' updates thing with grano salis. (TSR censors the latin version of 'with' smh)

The biggest thing that's happened to me recently was that I took the early BMAT on the 31st. I found it quite tuff, maybe it's because I was in a different environment or something - but I found section 1 to be really hard on time. I missed out 6 questions or something in the end and I probably messed up a whole load more so my 7 expectation is now a solid 5 at most. Section 2 was much better and I'd say it was easier than last years paper. Even then I'm not sure if I'll get anything higher than a 7 but I'm a little bit more confident about it. Section 3 was also quite nice, an essay essentially on smaller vs bigger hospitals. I felt like I got decent point but I'm kinda afraid that I messed up explaining them correctly. But what's done is done so I can't be dwelling on that for too long. The results are coming on the 20th of Sept so yay mini results day stress woop! woop!

My UCAT is set on the 2nd of Oct so it's my next big thing. I bought Medify yesterday and I've been banging questions since. Rn Verbal reasoning and Quantitative reasoning are my weak spots, so I;m going to focus on them and update y'all every time I do a mini-mock or whatever they're called.

To get my life straight I made a mini checklist of what I need to do still:

1. PS - I've thought about it a lot - the only problem is my intro and actually typing stuff up
2. EPQ - I need to do wayyy more research and hone my question down
3. UCAT prep - messing up the BMAT's justing giving me motivation to do better in this so things don't turn out the same way hopefully
4. School stuff - Just remembering all the stuff I did last year and getting back to the swing of things

There is a whole lot more about me, it's just my brain is kinda fried rn. Ha! I'm literally a fried chicken. But whatever feel free to ask me anything you wanna know about me or just about life. Well a breif summary is that I love KPOP and find dumb things funny. I'm asian and like eating food as well.

I'm going to tag everyone from last year. If you don't wanna be tagged tell me, I don't wanna be held responsible for your 34 TSR notifications.

Everyone in my chicken coup: (Tell me if you wanna be added or taken away (hhh actually no you can't escape.... just kidding) I want loads and loads of people in my chicken coup with me xx

Chilling in the chicken coup:

Spoiler

This year's gonna be a whole rollercoaster of emotions so grab your popcorn and idk maybe sneak in some extra food if you want.

Also does anyone here play osu! because I'm addicted and I want friends to play with. pwease!

P.S I promise to format everything a whole lot better ... just wait till I go back to school.

Here! We! Go!

Scroll to see replies

you just made me more hungry :/
What resources and how are you revising Biology and Chemistry?
Original post by Vetrix42
What resources and how are you revising Biology and Chemistry?

I mainly made Quizlet flashcards for bio. I winged yr12 chem coz I just found it boring. I'd say past papers are sososososo helpful. Go on PMT and just print out questions by topic and see what the mark scheme wants, it helps with exam technique and hones your answers to be liek what the exam board wants.

Original post by mez_merising
you just made me more hungry :/

Eat then dumbo!
Original post by FlawlessChicken
Eat then dumbo!

I did dumbo🤪
Reply 5
This is it! Good luck!
Heyyyyyyyyyyyy ... yep it's me!

I'm back well tbh I don't think that many people missed me, but this is gonna be a continuation from this gyg, that I started back in March or something. So for the fellow newcomers, who don't know much about me: I'm a yr13 as of Sept 4th and ~I'm aN aSpiRiNg mEdiC~.

Here's a lil' bit of facts for you:

GCSEs:

Spoiler

Predicted Grades:

Spoiler

So yh, I'm taking bio, chem, maths and FM all to yr13 - mainly coz, as much as I'd hate to say it I kinda find maths fun. I'm also doing an EPQ on CRISPR and stuff, but this is still in the research stage so it's not confirmed.

The main aim of making one of these is to just keep my life at check and to make sure I'm doing the right stuff at the right time. I'll try to make weekly updates but that's probably not gonna hold true. It really depends whether I have enough content to write about and whether or not I'm flooded with work or not. Apparently yr13 is a trek, so maybe take the 'weekly' updates thing with grano salis. (TSR censors the latin version of 'with' smh)

The biggest thing that's happened to me recently was that I took the early BMAT on the 31st. I found it quite tuff, maybe it's because I was in a different environment or something - but I found section 1 to be really hard on time. I missed out 6 questions or something in the end and I probably messed up a whole load more so my 7 expectation is now a solid 5 at most. Section 2 was much better and I'd say it was easier than last years paper. Even then I'm not sure if I'll get anything higher than a 7 but I'm a little bit more confident about it. Section 3 was also quite nice, an essay essentially on smaller vs bigger hospitals. I felt like I got decent point but I'm kinda afraid that I messed up explaining them correctly. But what's done is done so I can't be dwelling on that for too long. The results are coming on the 20th of Sept so yay mini results day stress woop! woop!

My UCAT is set on the 2nd of Oct so it's my next big thing. I bought Medify yesterday and I've been banging questions since. Rn Verbal reasoning and Quantitative reasoning are my weak spots, so I;m going to focus on them and update y'all every time I do a mini-mock or whatever they're called.

To get my life straight I made a mini checklist of what I need to do still:

1. PS - I've thought about it a lot - the only problem is my intro and actually typing stuff up
2. EPQ - I need to do wayyy more research and hone my question down
3. UCAT prep - messing up the BMAT's justing giving me motivation to do better in this so things don't turn out the same way hopefully
4. School stuff - Just remembering all the stuff I did last year and getting back to the swing of things

There is a whole lot more about me, it's just my brain is kinda fried rn. Ha! I'm literally a fried chicken. But whatever feel free to ask me anything you wanna know about me or just about life. Well a breif summary is that I love KPOP and find dumb things funny. I'm asian and like eating food as well.

I'm going to tag everyone from last year. If you don't wanna be tagged tell me, I don't wanna be held responsible for your 34 TSR notifications.

Everyone in my chicken coup: (Tell me if you wanna be added or taken away (hhh actually no you can't escape.... just kidding) I want loads and loads of people in my chicken coup with me xx

Spoiler

This year's gonna be a whole rollercoaster of emotions so grab your popcorn and idk maybe sneak in some extra food if you want.

Also does anyone here play osu! because I'm addicted and I want friends to play with. pwease!

P.S I promise to format everything a whole lot better ... just wait till I go back to school.

Here! We! Go!

Where are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Sososnake
Where are you thinking of applying to?

I was thinking Cambridge but it mainly depends on what I get in my BMAT. UCL is a close contender ... I really liked the vibe there. QMUL was also amazing. I'm still stuck on my last option and for my fifth non-med one I was thinking of doing something mathsy or a'Chemistry with maths' course. Basically if I don't become a medic, I wanna be a maths/science teacher, because I feel like there's a similar sort of rewarding, giving-back-to-society aspect to it.
Good luck for your results, keep me tagged:smile:
Btw, what's CRISPR?
Original post by SlightlySummer
Good luck for your results, keep me tagged:smile:
Btw, what's CRISPR?

Awww yes thanks I need it! CRISPRs just some sort of tool used in genetic engineering. It's a bit of DNA that codes for proteins which snip up other bits of DNA and can change them.
06/09/19

So with the first week of yr13 out of the way and with a whole load of stuff to do, updating the GYG seems like the best option. The UCAT is looming, but tbh school was real fun. I still haven't noticed the intense 'jump' from yr12 to 13 that everyone talks about. I suppose only time will tell. Work load does seems to have slightly risen and so has content covered in the lessons ... maybe they're trying to ease us in - mais je ne sais pas :/. We had our photos taken today and I looked like an actual frog. Seeing my friends after six weeks or whatnot was soo relieving. The biggest advice I could give about sixth form is that you NEED to talk to people. I mean it does seem quite obvious but just talking, sharing ideas and having that 'one person' to talk to really really really does calm down stress, coz ~we're all in this together~. Tbf I think that this is kinda like that. A place where I can just rant about the stupid stuff that goes on in my life and the lil' struggles. Well I guess it's time for what happened aka weekly breakdown!

Biology:

We're still swimming through the yr 13 content. We started photosynthesis and neurons + nervous system stuff last year - and we're basically just continuing. We looked at limiting factors for photosynthesis and the weird graphs. Miss P kinda picked on me though. I think it's her plan of asserting dominance in her classroom, coz that's all that she was talking to us about last year - when we're still friends. She's changed, become more strict - she's still weirdish and cracks bants sometimes but whatever je ne care pas. She picked on me for the entire lesson and asked me about a solid 1000 questions. Hmm maybe she's found out about this GYG?! (I would actually cry if she did. Miss P if you're reading this- please be nice to me) The funny thing is that she told me and my friends a huge story about how she used to stalk a lot of people and find out info- yepyep she's defo a creep! With my other bio teacher, we learnt about synapses and their mechanisms. He's my reference writer so I really need to stay on his good side until October - he's some sensitive guy and I have f**king hormones that cause me to be stupid so hopefully it all works out.

Chemistry:

We have one new teacher for chemistry to replace the on that retired last year. From the 2 lessons we had with her - I've realised that she's really nice (She let us leave 20 minutes early on the first lesson because it was a yr 12 recap and we somehow miraculously still knew the content) and she's quite good. We did some equilibria stuff with her and she told us to use the acronym RICE - (Reacting moles, Initial moles, Change, Equilibrium moles). Hmmm it makes me quite happy, knowing that we're being taught well. We had 1 lesson with my other chem teacher. He gave us back a practical write-up from last year and I pretty much flopped all of the marking points and they were all silly stuff. I forgot to record to 2 d.p. for burette reading and I referenced stuff wrong. It's not the end of the world - but it's not nice starting the year with all the mistakes I made. We're continuing 2 step titrations with him, the one where you use acidified potassium manganate (ook I was gonna call it dichromate ugh ... quite sticky) and also the one with iodine, sodium thiosulfate and starch.

Maths/Further Maths:

On the first day back we had to prove Euler's relations and the sexy e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0. A bit overwhelming but bearable (and hella interesting). We're finishing up AS FM now doing 3d vectors and planes/ proof by induction with matrices/ more complex number stuff. A lot of my friends have dropped FM so my classes have shrunk quite a bit. I would drop it as well, but I'm not gaining much from dropping it and having an extra A-Level is quite nice if I can manage it, which I hopefully can.

EPQ:

Well this is a new section compared to last years GYG. I'm just gonna write new stuff that pops up so that I have a record of stuff I've done so far. So I've finalised my question to be 'How CRISPR and genetic engineering as a whole, impact future healthcare services?' I know it's quite, if not very, broad. However, I feel like I have a lot to say with it. The amount of medical research put into it so far and the information available online is vast asf. Currently, I am reading a book called 'Hacking the code of life' by Nessa Carey. She talks about a little bit of everything: ethics, what it is?, how it works? etc. I've only read a few chapters, but it really is accessible. So if you are interested on the topic go ahead and cop yourself one book, coz physical copies >>>> ebooks.

Hmm I've realised that I've made this too long and bored the living poo outta you guys so I'll stop the torture. My teacher asked for a first draft to be handed in next Thursday for my personal statement. I've started an intro and have ideas of how to make it flow well. It is only a first draft so I'm just tryna get words onto he page atm and hopefully improve it with my teacher's help. I've also finished all of my Gold DofE. I've scanned in the evidence and now I'm just waiting for my assessor to verify it. So yh that's also done.

Here's song of the week, forgot to do one in the opening post but hey whatever :?

Spoiler

Here's also all the loveliest people!
Everyone in my chicken coup: (Tell me if you wanna be added or taken away (hhh actually no you can't escape.... just kidding) I want loads and loads of people in my chicken coup with me x

Spoiler

I love y'all and thanks for reading! Be happy otherwise imma b*tchslap you!
maybe instead of future healthcare services direct it towards the NHS, idk maybe that'll help make it more specific? and just focus on CRISPR or like an interesting section of it, bc genetic engineering is h u g e

good luck with the rest of your stuffffff and oop guess you're gonna have to b*tchslap me :colondollar:

06/09/19

So with the first week of yr13 out of the way and with a whole load of stuff to do, updating the GYG seems like the best option. The UCAT is looming, but tbh school was real fun. I still haven't noticed the intense 'jump' from yr12 to 13 that everyone talks about. I suppose only time will tell. Work load does seems to have slightly risen and so has content covered in the lessons ... maybe they're trying to ease us in - mais je ne sais pas :/. We had our photos taken today and I looked like an actual frog. Seeing my friends after six weeks or whatnot was soo relieving. The biggest advice I could give about sixth form is that you NEED to talk to people. I mean it does seem quite obvious but just talking, sharing ideas and having that 'one person' to talk to really really really does calm down stress, coz ~we're all in this together~. Tbf I think that this is kinda like that. A place where I can just rant about the stupid stuff that goes on in my life and the lil' struggles. Well I guess it's time for what happened aka weekly breakdown!

Biology:

We're still swimming through the yr 13 content. We started photosynthesis and neurons + nervous system stuff last year - and we're basically just continuing. We looked at limiting factors for photosynthesis and the weird graphs. Miss P kinda picked on me though. I think it's her plan of asserting dominance in her classroom, coz that's all that she was talking to us about last year - when we're still friends. She's changed, become more strict - she's still weirdish and cracks bants sometimes but whatever je ne care pas. She picked on me for the entire lesson and asked me about a solid 1000 questions. Hmm maybe she's found out about this GYG?! (I would actually cry if she did. Miss P if you're reading this- please be nice to me) The funny thing is that she told me and my friends a huge story about how she used to stalk a lot of people and find out info- yepyep she's defo a creep! With my other bio teacher, we learnt about synapses and their mechanisms. He's my reference writer so I really need to stay on his good side until October - he's some sensitive guy and I have f**king hormones that cause me to be stupid so hopefully it all works out.

Chemistry:

We have one new teacher for chemistry to replace the on that retired last year. From the 2 lessons we had with her - I've realised that she's really nice (She let us leave 20 minutes early on the first lesson because it was a yr 12 recap and we somehow miraculously still knew the content) and she's quite good. We did some equilibria stuff with her and she told us to use the acronym RICE - (Reacting moles, Initial moles, Change, Equilibrium moles). Hmmm it makes me quite happy, knowing that we're being taught well. We had 1 lesson with my other chem teacher. He gave us back a practical write-up from last year and I pretty much flopped all of the marking points and they were all silly stuff. I forgot to record to 2 d.p. for burette reading and I referenced stuff wrong. It's not the end of the world - but it's not nice starting the year with all the mistakes I made. We're continuing 2 step titrations with him, the one where you use acidified potassium manganate (ook I was gonna call it dichromate ugh ... quite sticky) and also the one with iodine, sodium thiosulfate and starch.

Maths/Further Maths:

On the first day back we had to prove Euler's relations and the sexy e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0. A bit overwhelming but bearable (and hella interesting). We're finishing up AS FM now doing 3d vectors and planes/ proof by induction with matrices/ more complex number stuff. A lot of my friends have dropped FM so my classes have shrunk quite a bit. I would drop it as well, but I'm not gaining much from dropping it and having an extra A-Level is quite nice if I can manage it, which I hopefully can.

EPQ:

Well this is a new section compared to last years GYG. I'm just gonna write new stuff that pops up so that I have a record of stuff I've done so far. So I've finalised my question to be 'How CRISPR and genetic engineering as a whole, impact future healthcare services?' I know it's quite, if not very, broad. However, I feel like I have a lot to say with it. The amount of medical research put into it so far and the information available online is vast asf. Currently, I am reading a book called 'Hacking the code of life' by Nessa Carey. She talks about a little bit of everything: ethics, what it is?, how it works? etc. I've only read a few chapters, but it really is accessible. So if you are interested on the topic go ahead and cop yourself one book, coz physical copies >>>> ebooks.

Hmm I've realised that I've made this too long and bored the living poo outta you guys so I'll stop the torture. My teacher asked for a first draft to be handed in next Thursday for my personal statement. I've started an intro and have ideas of how to make it flow well. It is only a first draft so I'm just tryna get words onto he page atm and hopefully improve it with my teacher's help. I've also finished all of my Gold DofE. I've scanned in the evidence and now I'm just waiting for my assessor to verify it. So yh that's also done.

Here's song of the week, forgot to do one in the opening post but hey whatever :?

Spoiler

Here's also all the loveliest people!
Everyone in my chicken coup: (Tell me if you wanna be added or taken away (hhh actually no you can't escape.... just kidding) I want loads and loads of people in my chicken coup with me x

Spoiler

I love y'all and thanks for reading! Be happy otherwise imma b*tchslap you!
Original post by mez_merising
maybe instead of future healthcare services direct it towards the NHS, idk maybe that'll help make it more specific? and just focus on CRISPR or like an interesting section of it, bc genetic engineering is h u g e

good luck with the rest of your stuffffff and oop guess you're gonna have to b*tchslap me :colondollar:

I feel like CRISPR can help out 3rd world countries sooooooo much more than the UK - that's why I didn't want to make it specific to the NHS. And hmmm oops yh I was gonna keep it to CRISPR, I just copied and pasted my draft question :/
loving the title! :gah: good luck this year! :rave:
btw, this week's song is really catchy :dance:
Original post by nyxnko_
loving the title! :gah: good luck this year! :rave:
btw, this week's song is really catchy :dance:

Awww I really appreciate it! Honesty it took my soo long trying to think of something :/

And yh isn't it! I just love her voice, it's soo soothing, almost therapeutic. You should look up the meaning of the lyrics too. It's sooo wholesome.
Hey, I'm wishing you the best of luck for this year!
I'm also in Year 13 and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and History (all AQA).
Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up with this thread! Good luck!
Could I be added to the coop? 🙂
Original post by aishaa_26
Hey, I'm wishing you the best of luck for this year!
I'm also in Year 13 and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and History (all AQA).
Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up with this thread! Good luck!

Ooh history? I could never ... wordy essays are the bane of my existence. What degree are you think about doing at uni? Are you another ~asPiriNg MeDiC~? And do you wanna be tagged?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by avacados1
Could I be added to the coop? 🙂

Of course! Welcome to the gang!
Ooh history? I could never ... wordy essays are the bane of my existence. What degree are you think about doing at uni? Are you another ~asPiriNg MeDiC~? And do you wanna be tagged?

Not an aspiring medic no haha, but I’m thinking of doing Biomedical Sciences! And sure, I would love to be tagged! (im also a kpop fan btw 🤭)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending