33.33%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
M554 - Activity metric realignment motion; Rt. Hon. Jammy Duel MP
This house believes the basis of activity for the purposes of holding or losing seats, currently known as the voting review, should cease to focus on voting turnout and instead be based around activity in debate.

First off I think it important to briefly explain why this is a motion and not an amendment. Simply put this is to have a vote in principle on the idea so I know there is a realistic prospect of an amendment passing before working on it, after all it is an amendment that would be very difficult to get right and there is potential for strong vested interests against it. To me the proposal would seek to deal with three things:

1) deal with member retention issues;
2) deal with member recruitment issues;
3) reward genuine activity and punish inactivity.

Dealing with each of these in order we first come to player retention. One of the reasons for our member shortage (resulting in large theoretical by-election) is that we are losing potentially active members, recently we lost Saunders with a major factor being the lack of debate, and not for failure to try to engage in debate, with other members questioning what the point of sticking around is if there is an absence of debate. This is a big issue with the current system because if there are parties with enough seats to pretty much force through anything they want there is rarely any incentive to debate, and members of the large parties have taken the attitude, therefore, that there is no point in debating. The change should lead to an increase in debate which would nip that element of the member retention issues in the bud.

The second thing contributing to our member shortage is a lack of recruitment. As is stand possibly our best recruitment method is debate, get trending and therefore expose ourselves to other parts of the site and then when people come along engage with them and give them reason to stick around. These things are lacking, with the debate shortage there isn't much exposure to the wider site and when people to stumble across us there is nothing to keep them here.

Finally we have a shift to reward active involvement in the house, and not the current system which rewards having a large bank of individuals to log on two or three times a week to vote and do nothing to help the longevity of the house. While the proposal would not immediately deal with the need to resort to using such individuals it would cease to penalise those without a decade or more of old members who are still willing to periodically log in to vote and also require the larger parties with those resources to still contribute proportionally.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 6 months ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm abstaining. Whilst debating is certainly an area of weakness it shouldn't be the only measure of activity. The current system isn't perfect, and in the current weeks I'll be submitting some amendments of my own for improvements to the Constitutions and GD, but this motion calls for an ideal which I don't think is realistically feasible.

Unlike others, I am glad this was put in a motion first though.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think I'll opt to abstain too - I don't feel like I've been involved in MHoC long enough to fully understand the potential pros and cons of this.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I actually completely agree with this in principle. It’s ultimately how it is implemented that will decide whether I finally support an amendment or not
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Connor27 And this is why I didn't jump straight to an amendment, vested interests are too strong to allow people to change away from a status quo that makes inactivity the norm when the alternative requires a little bit of thinking.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Fixes formatting

I agree with this in principle, even if I think it's almost impossible in practice, hence it's an aye.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Fixes formatting

What have I told you about insulting my formatting deputy..................
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
What have I told you about insulting my formatting deputy..................
You should be pleased and grateful for my assistance
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
You should be pleased and grateful for my assistance
Of course I am, how silly of me. 😉. You can assist me anytime.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm the same as shadowdweller
FantasticMsFox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I agree with shadowdweller I haven't been in MHoC long enough either so I will be abstaining.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
The ayes to the right, 8
The noes to the left, 15
Abstains, 22

Turnout: 90%

The noes have it, the noes have it! Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
62.39%
No (41)
37.61%

Watched Threads