Do you have to pay PGCE bursary back if withdrawing from study? Watch

sl.lewis2112
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am due to go back to university to complete my PGCE in Secondary ed with English and I am absolutely dreading it. At this point the only reason I will be going back is that I am under the impression that if I don't complete the course, then I am liable to pay the university the £9,000 bursary that covered the course fees. I haven't been given, or paid the universitythe entire £9000 as I still had a term left to complete my PGCE. Does any one know if I have to pay this back should I decide to withdraw? So you can understand my position I will give you a little information about why I don't want to go back. When I started my PGCE, my daughter had just turned 1, my husband is in the navy and was at home a few nights a week, unfortunately I had a very negative and unsupportive mentor in my first placement (I am quite quiet and not overly confident) and this really knocked what little confidence I had - I left my first placement feeling completely lost. By the start of my 2nd placement my husband had gone to sea - away for 7 months and due home in August. I had a more supportive mentor, but so busy that I only saw him during our lessons and for one hour a week for our allotted feedback sessions - needless to say I didn't feel I was getting the support I needed, I was to by my university tutor that I shouldn't need support from my mentor - funnily enough I was overly stressed and was having a flare up of my Crohn's disease, so I finally decided that I needed time out at Easter (after a crappy couple of weeks where I had trouble with housing, moved house on my own, then had no internet for 3 weeks, lost my phone, my car had an incident with a lamp post, I was 16 weeks pregnant)... My university tutor was also extremely unsupportive and told me she wanted me to interrupt my studies as I was only on track for a pass...Now I have two children under 3 and I just don't feel I can do this, or want to do it either...
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sl.lewis2112)
I am due to go back to university to complete my PGCE in Secondary ed with English and I am absolutely dreading it. At this point the only reason I will be going back is that I am under the impression that if I don't complete the course, then I am liable to pay the university the £9,000 bursary that covered the course fees. I haven't been given, or paid the university the entire £9000 as I still had a term left to complete my PGCE. Does any one know if I have to pay this back should I decide to withdraw?

So you can understand my position I will give you a little information about why I don't want to go back. When I started my PGCE, my daughter had just turned 1, my husband is in the navy and was at home a few nights a week, unfortunately I had a very negative and unsupportive mentor in my first placement (I am quite quiet and not overly confident) and this really knocked what little confidence I had - I left my first placement feeling completely lost.

By the start of my 2nd placement my husband had gone to sea - away for 7 months and due home in August. I had a more supportive mentor, but so busy that I only saw him during our lessons and for one hour a week for our allotted feedback sessions - needless to say I didn't feel I was getting the support I needed, I was to by my university tutor that I shouldn't need support from my mentor - funnily enough I was overly stressed and was having a flare up of my Crohn's disease, so I finally decided that I needed time out at Easter (after a crappy couple of weeks where I had trouble with housing, moved house on my own, then had no internet for 3 weeks, lost my phone, my car had an incident with a lamp post, I was 16 weeks pregnant)... My university tutor was also extremely unsupportive and told me she wanted me to interrupt my studies as I was only on track for a pass...Now I have two children under 3 and I just don't feel I can do this, or want to do it either...
Hey there, I'm really sorry to hear about this experience.

Would you mind sharing which university this was?

I have a few more questions if that's okay, to fully understand the funding situation:
- Was this bursary from the university? And if so was it advertised anywhere that we could read for reference?
- You said you didn't receive it all - roughly how much did you receive?
I'm fairly confident that you won't need to pay them the full £9000 if you didn't receive all of that money anyway. I'm not sure what the options are on the rest but hopefully someone else will be able to help too - perhaps there's an advice service with the students' union at the university you could speak to about this? Or perhaps a money and finance team within student services at the university who may be able to give you some concrete answers.

This really sounds like a horrible situation to be in and I don't blame you for not wanting to go back.
sl.lewis2112
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you for replying, I think the bursary was through the university, but it was the £9,000 bursary offered by the government for trainee English teachers - so it's on the just teach etc web pages - I think I received 8 installments so £7200.
The problem is I can't afford to pay any of it back, now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The university is Marion in Plymouth - I was meant to be returning for the teaching element for 16 weeks (part time) but the goal posts appear to have changed - instead of just completing the teaching element (and two coursework elements) I am apparently to go back and attend lectures (again) and complete my PGCE at Easter which I feel is entirely unnecessary? I don't understand why I can't be allocated a teaching placement as I'm due to return this month & remain in it until I have completed the outstanding 45 days of teaching... Plus completing at Easter means I now have to find a way to afford child care for that length of time while I will be in study rather than earning a wage...
Last edited by sl.lewis2112; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%