Commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the end of World War 2 in 2020 Watch

barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
As the TSR Model House of Commons Culture Secretary, I am seeking views on how the 75th anniversary of the end of World War 2 should be commemorated in 2020 in the United Kingdom. This may be the last anniversary at which there may be a reasonable number of people who saw military or supportive civil work during the war itself, or who were held prisoner either in Nazi camps or other prisons.

I think it should be largely around four events:

The 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz (Holocaust Memorial Day)- government and ambassadors should be attending memorial events around the country.

VE Day 75th anniversary- beacons and a national service.

VJ Day 75th anniversary- something solemn to remember the horrors of the bomb.

Remembrance Day- the Cenotaph wreath laying all by people who served in some way in World War 2, instead of the normal practice of politicians doing so.

In seeking views from the House and outside, I should out of courtesy and transparency declare a personal interest in this, as three of my ancestors are known to have died in Nazi concentration camps, and another died in World War 2 military service.

(This thread is part of a Government Consultation from the Model House of Commons. You can get involved in our other threads here.)
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Posting to watch.

I personally think it's incredibly important that the lessons about the destruction caused by war and violence be remembered. :sadnod:
Alt Tankie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Spend the Money on veterans who are dying on the streets instead
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
As the TSR Model House of Commons Culture Secretary, I am seeking views on how the 75th anniversary of the end of World War 2 should be commemorated in 2020 in the United Kingdom. This may be the last anniversary at which there may be a reasonable number of people who saw military or supportive civil work during the war itself, or who were held prisoner either in Nazi camps or other prisons.

The 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz (Holocaust Memorial Day)- government and ambassadors should be attending memorial events around the country.

Remembrance Day- the Cenotaph wreath laying all by people who served in some way in World War 2, instead of the normal practice of politicians doing so.

In seeking views from the House and outside, I should out of courtesy and transparency declare a personal interest in this, as three of my ancestors are known to have died in Nazi concentration camps, and another died in World War 2 military service.

(This thread is part of a Government Consultation from the Model House of Commons. You can get involved in our other threads here.)
The answer would be the same stuff they did for the 50th anniversary
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Unpopular opinion but WWII has been overglorified now.
WWI is seen as the 'bad' one and WWII is seen as the 'good' one. Britain like to cream itself over its victory in WWII as it was the last good guy Vs bad guy war. Every war since even the Falklands that had a conclusive victory has been murkier in terms of a) who won b) whether we should have been fighting at all.
Am not saying it's not incredibly important to remember it but every few years there is some massive anniversary whether it's the 70th or the 75th.
People who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq should be looked after first and foremost before celebrating this as sadly the majority of veterans from WWII are now deceased.
The government are less willing to spend time and effort on veterans of recent conflicts as the conflicts themselves were unpopular.
Spend money on charities helping current homeless veterans and those suffering with mental illness, drug abuse, alcoholism instead.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)

We should remember the fallen and their ultimate sacrifice. I don't think having four events should be the way. I suggest calling for a Bank holiday and having a full remembrance day where people can engage in the ceremony.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Alt Tankie)
Spend the Money on veterans who are dying on the streets instead
Seconded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
24.1%
Pop (207)
24.82%
Jazz (33)
3.96%
Classical (46)
5.52%
Hip-Hop (158)
18.94%
Electronic (57)
6.83%
Indie (132)
15.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise