Kristian463
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys... I followed the long thread for 2019 which was really helpful over the last few months to prepare myself for the new application cycle for 2020 entry. Hopefully we can all help each other along over the next year on our journeys to securing that lucrative Physio university spot.
How many others are looking at their options for next year and where is everybody up to so far? Would be good to get a good long thread going so everybody can keep track... look forward to hearing from you all and sharing experiences.
Lance1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey I'm 22 and just about to start an Access course; hopefully will get a place to study Physiotherapy next year.
College have already got us preparing our UCAS application, but getting work experience kinda worries me. I have been in touch with countless NHS trusts and so far have only secured a one day work observation (better than nothing!). I'm sure most people will be in the same boat so does anyone have any advice regarding work experience?
Where about are people looking at studying next year?
I've been to one open day at Wolverhampton Uni so far (not thinking of applying here but to get a feel for the course), and was told last year they had 250 applicants and only 30 people were accepted onto the course, so definitely worth doing your research!
aroundtheworld00
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hiii
I am looking to apply for physiotherapy for 2020 fingers crossed but I am finding it really hard to find work experience any advice?
I am working on my personal statement but have a lot to do if I wanna apply next month. What stage are you at ?
Kristian463
Rep:
?
I’ve been to a couple of open days so far and I’m terms of work experience I was told that even if you’ve worked in a health environment and observed but can relate it to Physiotherapy they’ll quite happily take that. I think they appreciate that not every NHS is open to having people walk into a ward and shadow. I’d also try private clinics (which are more accessible). It’s more so they know that you have gained an insight into what the roles involves first hand.
aroundtheworld00
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kristian463)
I’ve been to a couple of open days so far and I’m terms of work experience I was told that even if you’ve worked in a health environment and observed but can relate it to Physiotherapy they’ll quite happily take that. I think they appreciate that not every NHS is open to having people walk into a ward and shadow. I’d also try private clinics (which are more accessible). It’s more so they know that you have gained an insight into what the roles involves first hand.
Okay that’s great, thank you I will keep trying!
What are you predicted grades ?
Kristian463
Rep:
?
(Original post by aroundtheworld00)
Okay that’s great, thank you I will keep trying!
What are you predicted grades ?
I’m a mature student and just started an Access Course in Science.
Lady.Bug
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m not having any luck whatsoever with shadowing yet, which is worrying me.
I’m doing an Access course that involves Biology and Chemistry, the chemistry side is really worrying me, I never did too well in that 😭
Kristian463
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady.Bug)
I’m not having any luck whatsoever with shadowing yet, which is worrying me.
I’m doing an Access course that involves Biology and Chemistry, the chemistry side is really worrying me, I never did too well in that 😭
You’ll be fine... my science access course is everything 🤦🏼*♂️. I too wasn’t a fan of chemistry either. Some unis have been funny about course content actually... whilst some have been yeh, what ever is cool as long as it’s science.
Gmather95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I've just completed an access course and I'm due to start my BSc for physiotherapy later this month. I know it's really hard to find some form of shadowing. What I would suggest (and it worked for me) is to email as many places as possible and see if they'll have you. Also don't rule out other disciplines, such as chiropractors and osteopaths. I managed to get a day at an NHS physiotherapy out patients clinic and also managed to get a couple of days with a chiropractor and osteopath. When having my interviews at various universities they actually liked the fact I'd gone and got some experience else where, this enabled me to say that physiotherapy was defiantly the career I wanted to pursue, as I've experienced other disciplines. Although I didn't do it, I was told that even getting some work experience in a care home or some sort of care setting will boost your application and increase your chances of getting a spot at university. I hope this helps and good luck!
romaleos2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just wanna add on - when I submitted my uni application I hadn't had any physio related work experience yet, but had something lined up for February the next year so I simply mentioned that on my personal statement. I had two interviews after where I still hadn't had my work experience done yet, and they both offered me places anyway Just keep emailing as many places as possible, and take whatever they can give you! I ended up shadowing physios for two days and then spent 3 with the admins in the physio department which was actually really interesting too... basically do whatever you can haha
Kristian463
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Application done, dusted, gone... 🤞🏼
unaManzana
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
does anyone know why physiotherapy is so competitive? and why don't unis accept more than 30 people knowing that it's super competitive
Millie246
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m not applying till December as that’s when I have some good work experience. I already have A*BC, but I’m retaking the C in my gap year and am predicted an A. Anyone else re-taking?
-emloonun-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by unaManzana)
does anyone know why physiotherapy is so competitive? and why don't unis accept more than 30 people knowing that it's super competitive
Usually it's because the demonstration oriented classes. You cant have alot of people in the practical rooms. It can be competitive but it's all about being the right personality.
I started studying physio this September. Good luck for your application!
Kristian463
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by -emloonun-)
Usually it's because the demonstration oriented classes. You cant have alot of people in the practical rooms. It can be competitive but it's all about being the right personality.
I started studying physio this September. Good luck for your application!
Where you studying at?
-emloonun-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Scotland actually... RGU, where are you applying?
Kristian463
Rep:
?
Scotland actually... RGU, where are you applying?
I’ve got Southampton, Leeds Beckett, Teesside, Hull and Sunderland as my picks..!! Acknowledgments from them all but that’s it thus far..!
-emloonun-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Early days yet, congrats so far... hope you get offers Heads up, do your anatomy revision and the interview matters most!!
Kristian463
Rep:
?
Early days yet, congrats so far... hope you get offers Heads up, do your anatomy revision and the interview matters most!!
Cheers for the heads up.... already on it 😉
unaManzana
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you, man
I didn't bother applying to any prestigious universities. I just really wanna study physio no matter what uni lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (411)
43.72%
No (98)
10.43%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.85%

Watched Threads