student 997
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Unsure of what to do in university. I have no previous knowledge in either of these subjects. My maths skills are pretty average, i achieved a C in maths GCSE. which of these degrees will give me a better career opportunity. i want to go for the computer science degree but because iv heard it requires good maths skills i am hesitant because i don't want to dropout. Do you think i should do computer science?
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should only do computer science if you REALLY want to. It’s a subject that requires a lot of hard work and you have to fully understand topics to actually do well. Accounting is just as good but a bit more straightforward.
GeekyGit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Accounting every time!
username4521132
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do an an accounting apprenticeship instead of doing a degree in accounting
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
You should only do computer science if you REALLY want to. It’s a subject that requires a lot of hard work and you have to fully understand topics to actually do well. Accounting is just as good but a bit more straightforward.
It might sound stupid but i don't really know what i want to do, the thing is computer science looks interesting. I am prepared to put the hard work in but do you think a person that is average at maths can do well in computer science.
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeekyGit)
Accounting every time!
Expand
GeekyGit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by student 997)
It might sound stupid but i don't really know what i want to do, the thing is computer science looks interesting. I am prepared to put the hard work in but do you think a person that is average at maths can do well in computer science.
What are you doing for A-Levels?
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeekyGit)
What are you doing for A-Levels?
i just finished college doing a Btec
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did A Level computing and there was barely any need for maths even though they say there is. I was good at maths but not at computing, I just couldn’t do programming 😂
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I did A Level computing and there was barely any need for maths even though they say there is. I was good at maths but not at computing, I just couldn’t do programming 😂
programming is the part i'm interested in. what are you currently studying
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
programming is the part i'm interested in. what are you currently studying
I’m starting uni in 2 weeks, studying Business Management
TasteLikeChicken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OR321)
Degree level is different. You usually requite linear algebra, calculus, probability theory, statistics and discrete mathematics to fully understand computer science topics.
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TasteLikeChicken)
Degree level is different. You usually requite linear algebra, calculus, probability theory, statistics and discrete mathematics to fully understand computer science topics.
Yeah I get that, but I just have a deep hatred for Computer Science 😂 but OP seems interested so that’s good
TasteLikeChicken
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OR321)
Yeah I get that, but I just have a deep hatred for Computer Science 😂 but OP seems interested so that’s good
Hahaha fair enough
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unsure of what to do in university. I have no previous knowledge in either of these subjects. My maths skills are pretty average, i achieved a C in maths GCSE. which of these degrees will give me a better career opportunity. i want to go for the computer science degree but because iv heard it requires good maths skills i am hesitant because i don't want to dropout. Do you think i should do computer science?
Do either of the subjects seem interesting to you? I wouldn't do them solely because of the careers because you may end up hating the degree and then end up hating your job. Computer Science at university will be basically a lot of Maths (unless you do something like Applied Computing). Accounting isn't for everyone either but you'll have to love looking at numbers and spreadsheets for the rest of your life...

A lot of other degrees are extremely employable as well. Languages, International Relations, History, Politics, Law, Actuarial Science, Data Science etc.
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I’m starting uni in 2 weeks, studying Business Management
good luck mate
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by TasteLikeChicken)
I was average at maths didn't really enjoy it, should I still do computer science
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
dont do accounting at uni youre wasting your time. do an apprenticeship
TasteLikeChicken
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was average at maths didn't really enjoy it, should I still do computer science
Depends. What uni are you looking at for CompSci? Different unis will have different levels of mathematical content, but not all places require A Level Maths. What areas interest you? Different areas have different levels of mathematical prerequisites. You will have to do some maths, but it may be different in a CompSci context, as seeing how and why we use the maths, and seeing it work may make it more interesting.
student 997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
this is true but it depends on where you study CS.

at top universities there's lots of math but at lower universities CS is basically a java bootcamp
so is it worth doing at a lower university or not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.28%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (9)
14.75%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.48%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
40.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.39%

Watched Threads