?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
OKAY! Here's what's up...
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Basically... I figured I should jump back on this, after I randomly disappeared before exams.

Nevertheless, let me fill you in on what's been happening!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is HisMajestyKwabs and I'm about to start Year 13.

For my A Levels, I'm studying English Literature (OCR), History (AQA), and Politics (Edexcel). I'm also doing an EPQ on the Universal Credit rollout.

Last year I began a GYG showcasing my experiences throughout Year 12, and if you wanna take a look at it, it's here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5546596

However, I had to stop posting just before exams because the heat was getting INTENSE. Year 12 is not easy, yall.

I am ready to start Year 13 now, though! So let me post some more information for you guys (it might be a bit more useful/relevant):

Uni choices/grades:

Spoiler:
Show
- University of Cambridge (Gonville and Caius College) - History and Politics (A*AA)

This, needless to say, is my goal for this year. I really love Cambridge as a city and I think the supervision system is second to none. On top of this, Gonville and Caius is the college that I like most out of all of them (and I know so after visiting during the open day this summer).

Spoiler:
Show
- University of Birmingham - Politics and International Relations *w/ year abroad* (AAB/BBB)

I wasn't originally going to do a year abroad, but the Birmingham summer school I went on made the prospect of it sound really appealing. Also, the summer school made me realize that I didn't like Birmingham's History course, and so I've opted for Politics and IR instead. Furthermore, Birmingham is a really nice campus, has great accommodation and is good for if you wanna get out of London but still have a big city vibe.

Spoiler:
Show
- UCL (University College London) - History (AAA/ABB)

I originally did not want to apply to UCL. I was very much of the preconception that it was very unsociable as a London university. However, going to the Open Day in September, I really fell in love with the vibe of the uni as well as the History department. And it's Top 10 in the world!

Spoiler:
Show
- Lancaster University - History and Politics (AAB)

Lancaster? That's a bit far up north... even still, it's a Top 10 uni and the History lecturers that I met at their summer school are amazing and so lovely! Also, you're allowed to eat in the library.

Spoiler:
Show
- Royal Holloway, University of London - History (ABB)

My final choice is Royal Holloway. I find it unique that it has a very 'Oxbridge' feel to it, without the prestige. Also, the History course doesn't seem too complicated and it's quite easy to follow what the course structure is. So I'm glad it's my final choice.

I should probably explain the dRaMa that has gone on with my predicted grades as of the past few months...

Basically, at the end of Year 12, I managed to achieve AAB in my UCAS exams. Understandably, I was quite disappointed, seeing as I was aiming for at least A*A*A. A bit too ambitious, maybe?

I spoke to all of my teachers about my grades, including my History teacher (History was the subject I got a B in). He told me that I hadn't done as well as expected in the exam, but genuinely believed my grade could go up. All I had to do was redo one of the questions.

I actually did alright, though. In the Cold War section of the exam, I got a B! But in The Stuarts.... I got so low in one of the questions that it managed to bring my grade down by two. Oh, dear.

To make something clear, I was going through some issues at the time of the exams. I won't go into too much detail, but I was pretty much suffering from a lot of exam stress and anxiety, and I was also beginning to have panic attacks too for fear of not getting the grades, which is exactly what happened.

I spent the whole summer worrying about whether or not my grade would go up in History. Luckily for me, though, the day after I sent off my UCAS application (29th August 2019), my History teacher had emailed me to tell me my grade had gone up to an A! :cool:

So as of today (3/09/2019), my predicted grades are AAA. Not good enough for Cambridge, maybe? I know. But there is no way I'm going to Oxford. PERIODT.

I'm currently in the process of negotiating an A* prediction with my Politics teacher. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

But... the year ahead is looking bright! Long... and very, very hard work, but we'll pull through! Tomorrow I'll make a more detailed post, but this is just an introductory post to create this thread, and also say hi... and I hope you had a great summer...

TAGS: Toastiekid Sinnoh DeepInTheMeadow mez_merising Iahmed512 Nabundle troubletracking nyxnko_ emilynxlan entertainmyfaith cloudbubbles RazzzBerries je m'en fiche magic_lemon Obolinda Infinite Series SlightlySummer Tolgarda loisgrace

And of course, new people are always welcome. Just post and ask to watch!
Last edited by HisMajesty_Kwabz; 4 weeks ago
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! What were your mock grades again?
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
eyyy he’s back! and I completely agree, caius is a gorgeousss college.

but have you already sent off ucas? I mean, isn’t it a little early?

all the best for this year, im rooting for ya kwabz🎉 keep me tagged x
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Heyy, will be watching. Hope you get the predicted grade you want!
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! :rave:
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yesss, the long-awaited comeback! Keep me tagged.

I don't want to jinx it but what's the plan if Cambridge doesn't go to plan?

(moved this to the 2019 forum btw)
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Good luck! What were your mock grades again?
Hey! My mock grades were AAB, but I'm hoping to get predicted A*AA
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)

I'm gonna tell you in my post today!
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
eyyy he’s back! and I completely agree, caius is a gorgeousss college.

but have you already sent off ucas? I mean, isn’t it a little early?

all the best for this year, im rooting for ya kwabz🎉 keep me tagged x
It is early. My school are very strict with UCAS (especially for Oxbridge) so we have to complete the whole application before our first day of Year 13.
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
It is early. My school are very strict with UCAS (especially for Oxbridge) so we have to complete the whole application before our first day of Year 13.
wow thats rough, im sure you'll do fab though!
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! Do you prefer History or Politics better? (in terms of interest, content, easiness and usefulness)
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Good luck! Do you prefer History or Politics better? (in terms of interest, content, easiness and usefulness)
I'm basing this week's post on this question because I'm lazy. I've decided that I'm gonna post every week from now on, cos every day is far too intense and way too much. lol

Answer: I would say... History and Politics both vary very much in terms of interest and content. I find certain parts of History (e.g. British social history, postmodern history, international history) and certain parts of Politics (e.g. welfare politics, policy making, multiculturalism) more interesting than others.

That being said, I love how History at university is so eclectic and covers so much more than just source analysis and essay writing. You actually get to look at the artefacts themselves and use things like books, paintings, videos and architecture to explore a completely different time period, while also questioning how it has affected life today. I guess it's like being a time traveller. When you think about it, anything can be a source. For example, a normal terraced house in London can tell you a lot about luxury Victorian villas and life outside the busy city centre in the 1800s. At the same time, it can also infer how similar building styles in the UK have been passed down all the way from the Tudor times. It is a very abstract subject, so requires a lot of imagination, with evidence to back it up.

At the same time, Politics at university is a lot more niche. It's not rubbish about Boris Johnson and Donald Trump and Brexit and boring, basic stuff like that. It's more about how Politics has an impact on even the smallest parts of our lives - the politics of technology, green politics, the politics of religion, the politics of food etc... It's such a key thing to be studying now, along with History, because technological advancements that come as a result of STEM are now contrasting with ideologies and views that are often so entrenched within humanities (e.g. debates over abortion, industrialization and GMOs). It's what being a social scientist is about. How can you go into fields such as Computer Science or Medicine or Engineering without having an understanding of what humans are and what they need most in today's world? (no shade to STEM students x)

So I guess my answer to you is that I'm really into political history. Which means that I'm 50/50 when it comes to History and Politics.

----

Oh yeah, by the way... I've decided that I do want to go to UCL after all. But not to study Politics anymore. This was because I really disliked the department at the Open Day. They literally told me 'the entry requirements are AAA, but if you haven't got A*s predicted then you basically haven't gotten in'.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you guys were Oxbridge.

I've changed to UCL History. The department just seems so much nicer and they are a lot more focused on social life (which is a bit unusual for one of the best unis in the country).

Which leads me to this question:

(Original post by Sinnoh)

In the unfortunate event that Cambridge does not work out, my choices are as follows:

Firm: UCL
Insurance: Birmingham

Decline: Lancaster and East Anglia

If I don't get into Cambridge for an undergrad degree, my plan is that I will then be able to apply to do a Masters' instead. And if that doesn't work out... it just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Even still, I'm not treating it like the be all and end all; the majority of people who apply to Oxford and Cambridge don't even get in anyway. I would say that my advice is - if not getting in will break you, then don't apply.
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
By the way, tags don't seem to be working normally. If you see this, tag some new people!
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, thanks for the summary, it sounds so interesting to ne. Especially the History part, but I'm biased

I'm basing this week's post on this question because I'm lazy. I've decided that I'm gonna post every week from now on, cos every day is far too intense and way too much. lol

Answer: I would say... History and Politics both vary very much in terms of interest and content. I find certain parts of History (e.g. British social history, postmodern history, international history) and certain parts of Politics (e.g. welfare politics, policy making, multiculturalism) more interesting than others.

That being said, I love how History at university is so eclectic and covers so much more than just source analysis and essay writing. You actually get to look at the artefacts themselves and use things like books, paintings, videos and architecture to explore a completely different time period, while also questioning how it has affected life today. I guess it's like being a time traveller. When you think about it, anything can be a source. For example, a normal terraced house in London can tell you a lot about luxury Victorian villas and life outside the busy city centre in the 1800s. At the same time, it can also infer how similar building styles in the UK have been passed down all the way from the Tudor times. It is a very abstract subject, so requires a lot of imagination, with evidence to back it up.

At the same time, Politics at university is a lot more niche. It's not rubbish about Boris Johnson and Donald Trump and Brexit and boring, basic stuff like that. It's more about how Politics has an impact on even the smallest parts of our lives - the politics of technology, green politics, the politics of religion, the politics of food etc... It's such a key thing to be studying now, along with History, because technological advancements that come as a result of STEM are now contrasting with ideologies and views that are often so entrenched within humanities (e.g. debates over abortion, industrialization and GMOs). It's what being a social scientist is about. How can you go into fields such as Computer Science or Medicine or Engineering without having an understanding of what humans are and what they need most in today's world? (no shade to STEM students x)

So I guess my answer to you is that I'm really into political history. Which means that I'm 50/50 when it comes to History and Politics.

----

Oh yeah, by the way... I've decided that I do want to go to UCL after all. But not to study Politics anymore. This was because I really disliked the department at the Open Day. They literally told me 'the entry requirements are AAA, but if you haven't got A*s predicted then you basically haven't gotten in'.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you guys were Oxbridge.

I've changed to UCL History. The department just seems so much nicer and they are a lot more focused on social life (which is a bit unusual for one of the best unis in the country).

Which leads me to this question:

In the unfortunate event that Cambridge does not work out, my choices are as follows:

Firm: UCL
Insurance: Birmingham

Decline: Lancaster and East Anglia

If I don't get into Cambridge for an undergrad degree, my plan is that I will then be able to apply to do a Masters' instead. And if that doesn't work out... it just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Even still, I'm not treating it like the be all and end all; the majority of people who apply to Oxford and Cambridge don't even get in anyway. I would say that my advice is - if not getting in will break you, then don't apply.
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
Wow, thanks for the summary, it sounds so interesting to ne. Especially the History part, but I'm biased
Why?
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why?
Because I've always naturally loved history, so it sounds more appealing than Politics
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
Because I've always naturally loved history, so it sounds more appealing than Politics
True true. If I'm honest, history is really just the study of past political events, but it brings so much more into it, so I guess it's broader than Politics.
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Good morning. I'm typing this at 6:33 am and I just wanted to apologize for my inconsistency as of late. Sometimes I feel a week's delay is really too long to wait to make a new post, so I guess I'm just gonna post as I go.

A lot has been going on.

Firstly, I've changed my final choice from UEA to Royal Holloway for History (and I've edited it on my first post). I looked at the buildings and they really have an Oxbridge feel to them! I know that shouldn't be why people pick a uni, but for me it was quite a winning factor.

I'm also now on Track. About 2 days prior to this I saw my teacher reference for Cambridge and for my other unis. It sounded a bit basic (as in they copied and pasted what they said about everyone), but I'm sure it was bulked up to a good level.

Now that I've gotten the SAQ all done and dusted, I can now start focusing on the entrance exam for Cambridge (alongside my A-Levels). I've made myself an Oxbridge folder where I plan to keep all my further reading and admissions tests. Furthermore, I will be watching a Skype lecture tonight focused around Oxbridge admissions. I'll let you know if there are any helpful tips!

Toastiekid Sinnoh DeepInTheMeadow mez_merising Iahmed512 Nabundle troubletracking nyxnko_ emilynxlan entertainmyfaith cloudbubbles RazzzBerries je m'en fiche Obolinda Infinite Series
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good morning. I'm typing this at 6:33 am and I just wanted to apologize for my inconsistency as of late. Sometimes I feel a week's delay is really too long to wait to make a new post, so I guess I'm just gonna post as I go.

A lot has been going on.

Firstly, I've changed my final choice from UEA to Royal Holloway for History (and I've edited it on my first post). I looked at the buildings and they really have an Oxbridge feel to them! I know that shouldn't be why people pick a uni, but for me it was quite a winning factor.

I'm also now on Track. About 2 days prior to this I saw my teacher reference for Cambridge and for my other unis. It sounded a bit basic (as in they copied and pasted what they said about everyone), but I'm sure it was bulked up to a good level.

Now that I've gotten the SAQ all done and dusted, I can now start focusing on the entrance exam for Cambridge (alongside my A-Levels). I've made myself an Oxbridge folder where I plan to keep all my further reading and admissions tests. Furthermore, I will be watching a Skype lecture tonight focused around Oxbridge admissions. I'll let you know if there are any helpful tips!

Toastiekid Sinnoh DeepInTheMeadow mez_merising Iahmed512 Nabundle troubletracking nyxnko_ emilynxlan entertainmyfaith cloudbubbles RazzzBerries je m'en fiche Obolinda Infinite Series
Hope you enjoy the Skype lecture
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed