The Student Room Group

Will I be able to transfer my course after year 1?

Hi, to preface my a levels results were unexpected and much worse then predicted and I have ended up being still accepted to my insurance but with a course change. My course was changed to Computing and I wanted Computer Science. I really tried talking to other univeristies but did not have much luck as they were specifically looking to help clearing students which is understandable. Im now set to do my Computing course but I want to try and switch to Computer Science after the first year provided I do really well, when I contacted my univeristy (Greenwich) via email I was told that if I did well enough in my first year my programme tutors/ leaders might be happy to switch over to Computer Science, then someone called me from the uni and asked if I had questions and I asked if that switch would be possible and I was told that unless I did the foundation course there is absolutely no chance of switching. This conflicting information has become a massive concern for me and ive gone forward to look at other options ~

If I were to get something like 70-80% in my first year of Computing from your experiences would I be able to or if I did that well would I be able to contact a different university and transfer for Computer Science? And do you lot know of anyone doing this transfer?
Yes you would be able to transfer with a high %. You should start emailing the universities that you want to go to now, and I think you can apply for them before 15th January 2020. I’m in a similar position but so far I know University Of York/Sheffield/Birmingham and KCL accept transfers. You may have to begin from year 1 if your a levels don’t meet initial requirements
Original post by Umar.Khalid
Hi, to preface my a levels results were unexpected and much worse then predicted and I have ended up being still accepted to my insurance but with a course change. My course was changed to Computing and I wanted Computer Science. I really tried talking to other univeristies but did not have much luck as they were specifically looking to help clearing students which is understandable. Im now set to do my Computing course but I want to try and switch to Computer Science after the first year provided I do really well, when I contacted my univeristy (Greenwich) via email I was told that if I did well enough in my first year my programme tutors/ leaders might be happy to switch over to Computer Science, then someone called me from the uni and asked if I had questions and I asked if that switch would be possible and I was told that unless I did the foundation course there is absolutely no chance of switching. This conflicting information has become a massive concern for me and ive gone forward to look at other options ~

If I were to get something like 70-80% in my first year of Computing from your experiences would I be able to or if I did that well would I be able to contact a different university and transfer for Computer Science? And do you lot know of anyone doing this transfer?

Why not just resit?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Why not just resit?

I know it may seem silly but for me a resit has always been off the list for me, id feel like im taking a massive step back and thats something I really dont want to do to myself
Reply 4
Original post by OR321
Yes you would be able to transfer with a high %. You should start emailing the universities that you want to go to now, and I think you can apply for them before 15th January 2020. I’m in a similar position but so far I know University Of York/Sheffield/Birmingham and KCL accept transfers. You may have to begin from year 1 if your a levels don’t meet initial requiremen

Restarting from year 1 I feel would probably put me off of transferring but thanks for the tip to email universities now, I didnt actually think it would be worth em emailing right now seeing as it is so far off. Its interesting to hear KCL offer transfers, ill email them although I dont think ill be good enough for them becuase of my A levels but I will look into other London unis aswell.
Reply 5
If you want, you could resit your alevels and apply to alot better unis and for computer science
I know it may seem silly but for me a resit has always been off the list for me, id feel like im taking a massive step back and thats something I really dont want to do to myself

Yep misguided, naive and foolish.
If you don’t have the A levels to start a course in first year then they’re not going to make you an offer for second year.

Universities might consider a good year 1 performance as an alternative to A levels for first year entry but transfers aren’t a way to “trade up” by the back door. Standard entry requirements are still required.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Yep misguided, naive and foolish.

Well you may think that but I only prefer Computer Science over Computing, if I have no choice id rather do Computing then resit and set myself back.
Well you may think that but I only prefer Computer Science over Computing, if I have no choice id rather do Computing then resit and set myself back.

Sometimes the wisest choice it to take one step back for two steps forward. I would rather go to the best uni I could, even if it meant waiting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending