Enrolment - don't out LGBT students to parents via "LGBT survey" mails/calls

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Dear Cardiff University,

At enrolment we had to provide you with our sexual orientation. I hope you don't call us on land-line or mail us (email would be ok) about our experience as LGBT students.

Harvard University outed a gay student to his parents, please don't make the same mistake as them.

Here he talks about his experience:
https://youtu.be/ZDipt48sVyo

Don't mail us about our experiences about being an LGBT student unless you have our consent (ask via email). For example if you want us to take part in a survey or what not.

I'm not implying you have ever conducted this way but with Harvard University as one of the best universities in the world doing that mistake, it could be a real possibility you do the same mistake of maybe did in the past.

On your own website, you state that you keep the information about the sexual orientation in your records - with no defined deletion date - which means forever.

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/public-inf...ata-protection
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Harvard wasn't castrated by the operation of GDPR.

Sexuality data -- which you'll give when you apply for most jobs -- is just for stats.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Harvard wasn't castrated by the operation of GDPR.

Sexuality data -- which you'll give when you apply for most jobs -- is just for stats.
The UK and therefor Cardiff University will not be under GDPR jurisdiction (provided the UK government changes their implemented GDPR law) once Brexit happens. This could be by November, so in two months.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The UK and therefor Cardiff University will not be under GDPR jurisdiction (provided the UK government changes their implemented GDPR law) once Brexit happens. This could be by November, so in two months.
Oh right.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The U.K. isn’t going to just arbitrarily stop abiding by GDPR concepts, regardless of the outcome of Brexit. Longer term they’ll just bake it into U.K. law so we can maintain the free flow of data processing for EU and EEA citizens.

If the OP is concerned about accidental sharing of their info, they should not declare any optional demographic details.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
?
Report 2 years ago
Cardiff University probably won't see this
Cardiff University
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I completely understand your concerns.

The University asks for this information for reporting purposes- it is anonymised and submitted to reporting bodies without any personal information that could be linked back to you.

With regards to GDPR and Brexit: GDPR has been written into UK legislation as the The Data Protection Act 2018. This means that after Brexit, the legislation will still apply. Even in the case of a 'no-deal' Brexit, the government has stressed
“there will be no immediate change in the UK’s own data protection standards. This is because the Data Protection Act 2018 would remain in place and the EU Withdrawal Act would incorporate the GDPR into UK law to sit alongside it”.

I hope this sets your mind at ease, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions or concerns!

Petra
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (152)
55.07%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.42%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.71%

Watched Threads