Satwant KAur
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I know that all back bonds are pi coordinate bonds,but are all pi coordinate bonds also back bond .If not please give an contradictory example.(please note I have written "pi coordinate" not simple coordinate or simple pi.)
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Satwant KAur)
I know that all back bonds are pi coordinate bonds,but are all pi coordinate bonds also back bond .If not please give an contradictory example.(please note I have written "pi coordinate" not simple coordinate or simple pi.)
Backbondings always happen when one of the orbitals has a lone pair electrons to transfer to a vacant one. That leads to pi coordinate bonds with adjacent orbitals forming a sigma bonding in the middle. All this just in order to stabilize the bonding of the molecule. And that is why I think that pi coordinate bonds have not a backbonding, because this would mean that the bondings of the molecule intend to come back to instability. And bondings always intend to come into a stable state when they aren't.
Satwant KAur
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Backbondings always happen when one of the orbitals has a lone pair electrons to transfer to a vacant one. That leads to pi coordinate bonds with adjacent orbitals forming a sigma bonding in the middle. All this just in order to stabilize the bonding of the molecule. And that is why I think that pi coordinate bonds have not a backbonding, because this would mean that the bondings of the molecule intend to come back to instability. And bondings always intend to come into a stable state when they aren't.
No I dont think like that According to MOT lone pair of atomic orbital goes into the Pi* orbital of the adjacent atom,and moreover pi bonds are also to stabilise the atom otherwise they never exist.and this fact is checked that"I know that all back bonds are pi coordinate bonds" but I am quite confused about another statement "are all pi coordinate bonds also back bond"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (188)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed