Mathematics Post-grad Without Maths Undergrad

Watch
skyla0607
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, everyone! I am a third-year business student who has realized that she would rather be studying something else. I have always loved Maths, but I didn't pursue it during my undergrad bc I thought my career options would be limited. As I approach graduation, I am considering taking a risk and shifting to a radically different field.

Right now, I want to know what will be necessary for this shift so I can plan out the next two years accordingly. I understand that a business degree is nowhere near sufficient to qualify for a Maths postgrad, so I really need advice!

I am planning to major in Finance which might boost the quant side of my BBA degree, and also plan to work for a few years to save money for further education. If it helps, my A Level Maths grade was 98%, an A*.

My main questions are:

1. Is a Maths background an unavoidable requirement? Can it be substituted with work experience or non-undergrad courses (e.g. online or part-time)?
2. Are there are any exams (e.g. GRE, GMAT) that I can give before applying to aid my application?
3. If I need a sort of in-between degree as a stepping stone, such as an Advanced Diploma, how can I go about acquiring it?

Thanks so much for your help!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by skyla0607)
Hello, everyone! I am a third-year business student who has realized that she would rather be studying something else. I have always loved Maths, but I didn't pursue it during my undergrad bc I thought my career options would be limited. As I approach graduation, I am considering taking a risk and shifting to a radically different field.

Right now, I want to know what will be necessary for this shift so I can plan out the next two years accordingly. I understand that a business degree is nowhere near sufficient to qualify for a Maths postgrad, so I really need advice!

I am planning to major in Finance which might boost the quant side of my BBA degree, and also plan to work for a few years to save money for further education. If it helps, my A Level Maths grade was 98%, an A*.

My main questions are:

1. Is a Maths background an unavoidable requirement? Can it be substituted with work experience or non-undergrad courses (e.g. online or part-time)?
2. Are there are any exams (e.g. GRE, GMAT) that I can give before applying to aid my application?
3. If I need a sort of in-between degree as a stepping stone, such as an Advanced Diploma, how can I go about acquiring it?

Thanks so much for your help!
Take a look in detail at some of the Maths Masters that are on offer. I suspect it would be very difficult to get onto a pure Maths course (as opposed to Pure Maths). Something with a strong maths component maybe, but more professionally focussed at business, finance etc.

Maybe some hardcore Diploma, from a University might cut it. But as I say, the direction to look form is the admission requirements of the Universities. I think you'll find it's nearly always a Maths degree, but you could try asking a few.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads