The Student Room Group

A level maths

I’m starting Sixth Form tomorrow where I will study A level maths. I got a 7 in my GCSE though in the past mocks I always achieved an 8. I had two months of school this year (due to illness) so I would like to think that I didn’t meet my predicted grade due to this and not because of my natural ability. I really want to get at least an A in A level maths? Is this possible with a 7 in GCSE?
Reply 1
Original post by Tomchr
I’m starting Sixth Form tomorrow where I will study A level maths. I got a 7 in my GCSE though in the past mocks I always achieved an 8. I had two months of school this year (due to illness) so I would like to think that I didn’t meet my predicted grade due to this and not because of my natural ability. I really want to get at least an A in A level maths? Is this possible with a 7 in GCSE?

Of course it is, just do lots of practice questions from the start and you'll be fine.
Original post by M4cc4n4
Of course it is, just do lots of practice questions from the start and you'll be fine.

Thank you, it’s just I’ve heard that the jump is so big that you need at least an 8 to have a strong chance at an A at A-level
Original post by Tomchr

Hello hello,
student here who is all done with A-levels. Please don't let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your goals in A-level maths. I got an A in maths GCSE and really struggled in the first year of A-levels, so much so that I got a D in the As level :frown: I was devastated as I had worked so hard, but I just worked really hard on maths every single day in year 13. I covered topics myself before they were done in class so I could keep on top. Every day from the beginning of year 13 I did at least 1 hour of maths practice every day. And guess what? I finished my A-level maths 2 (very painful) marks off an A*. So yes, you are absolutely capable of A-level maths. Although I was by no means a 'naturally gifted' mathematician I really enjoyed the A-level and found it so rewarding. Best of luck, you can do it!
Original post by Tomchr

Hi, I may have written this maybe 50 times in other threads but...

I got a grade 6 at GCSE maths 2 years ago, and a grade E in my AS mock exam last year in maths. And this year I got a grade A in A level maths. So it is definitely possible.
Original post by peanutbutter12
Hello hello,
student here who is all done with A-levels. Please don't let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your goals in A-level maths. I got an A in maths GCSE and really struggled in the first year of A-levels, so much so that I got a D in the As level :frown: I was devastated as I had worked so hard, but I just worked really hard on maths every single day in year 13. I covered topics myself before they were done in class so I could keep on top. Every day from the beginning of year 13 I did at least 1 hour of maths practice every day. And guess what? I finished my A-level maths 2 (very painful) marks off an A*. So yes, you are absolutely capable of A-level maths. Although I was by no means a 'naturally gifted' mathematician I really enjoyed the A-level and found it so rewarding. Best of luck, you can do it!

Thank you so much. Congratulations on ur result!
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES

I got a grade 6 at GCSE maths 2 years ago, and a grade E in my AS mock exam last year in maths. And this year I got a grade A in A level maths. So it is definitely possible.

Thanks very much. Well done on your grade !
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES

Thanks so much. Well done on your grade!
Anything is possible. I got an 8 in GCSE maths, sat my a level maths course in one year along with my other studies, activities and dofe and got an A*. If you put your mind to it you can achieve anything.
Wow
Original post by nathan_boachie
Anything is possible. I got an 8 in GCSE maths, sat my a level maths course in one year along with my other studies, activities and dofe and got an A*. If you put your mind to it you can achieve anything.

Thanks, well done you must be so happy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest