Who would you vote for in a Snap general election? Watch

Poll: Who would you vote for?
The Conservative and Unionist Party (90)
20%
The Labour Party (133)
29.56%
The Liberal Democrat (133)
29.56%
The Green Party (25)
5.56%
The Brexit party (38)
8.44%
Change U.K. (or whatever their called) (2)
0.44%
The SNP (6)
1.33%
Plaid (1)
0.22%
The DUP (4)
0.89%
Sinn Fein (3)
0.67%
A local independent (4)
0.89%
Other. (11)
2.44%
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Alt Tankie)
I’m not actually particularly pro labour though I support Corbyn and will be voting for the Brexit party.
Do you actually want the Brexit Party to govern the UK or is it just a vote for Brexit?
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Honestly, I don’t even know anymore. I’ve previously voted labour but I’m losing faith in everyone.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by alexgmt)
The only way a Labour leader has won a majority in recent years is by begging at the knees of the Murdoch press,
Well, no. Blair won by having sane policies, left of the Conservatives, that appealed to lots of people. He lost it over the wars and immigration, and then Brown cocked up the economy.

Changing the rules to let the loonies in was the problem, especially when it took naive nominations of Corbyn by his own enemies in the party 'for the debate'. It either makes Labour unelectable or dooms Britain to be a Marxist state depending on how many stupid voters there are.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My home and university areas are both Labour strongholds, so I'll probably vote Green.
Alt Tankie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Well, let's look at a couple of them.

They plan to transfer 10% of large companies' shares (valued at about £300 billion) and allocate them to the employees. However, they will then only allow those employees to receive a maximum of £500 a year each from the dividend income of the shares they will 'own'. The rest, the vast majority, will be expropriated to the treasury. The current owners, pension funds (your parents' future, as well as yours), will lose 10% of their holdings as well as the dividend income in its entirety on the expropriated shares. Nobody will ever be tempted to invest new captial into the UK again, and companies will have a strong incentive to seek incorporation abroad.

They plan to introduce a right-to-buy scheme for the tenants of private landlords, not necessarily at market prices This will mean those private landlords will, in large numbers, get rid of their tenants before the scheme cuts in and sell in the market, move their mothers in, or keep the properties empty until the wind stops blowing. This could destroy the housing market (and won't give the unhoused any means of buying into it). In any event, the tenants are tenants because they cannot afford to buy or because they need flexibility. The former won't be helped unless there is a forced discount (which is confiscation of private or pension fund assets) and the latter will have a smaller choice of renting opportunities and may be forced to buy, compromising the former's desire to buy.
I was going to make a sarcastic post but I can’t even ...

Do you actually believe these positions are extremist? Like genuinely?

I’m perfectly willing to consider these as bad policies but certainly not extremist. This is like those momentum people that think the bedroom tax is some sort of genocide.
jezza lover
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Labour cuz Jeremy Corbyn is the best
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Do you actually want the Brexit Party to govern the UK or is it just a vote for Brexit?
I’d love to see the Brexit Party in government, maybe in coalition with Corbyn’s labour
Alaska215
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lib Dem
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, no. Blair won by having sane policies, left of the Conservatives, that appealed to lots of people. He lost it over the wars and immigration, and then Brown cocked up the economy.

Changing the rules to let the loonies in was the problem, especially when it took naive nominations of Corbyn by his own enemies in the party 'for the debate'. It either makes Labour unelectable or dooms Britain to be a Marxist state depending on how many stupid voters there are.
Other than the gold **** up, what should Brown have done during the crisis?

So you don’t support the membership having a say in the direction of their party?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Alt Tankie)
Do you actually believe these positions are extremist? Like genuinely?
Of course they are. Confiscating £300 billion from investors and handing it to other people is pretty well as extreme as you can get. Then confiscating the bulk of the income generated from that £300 million of holdings and giving it to the treasury compounds it. I take it you are happy for your pension savings to reduced by 10%. But are your parents?
Last edited by Good bloke; 2 weeks ago
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Let's be honest, the Conservatives are screwed, their popularity is falling each day. I would vote either Labour or the Brexit Party
Last edited by The RAR; 2 weeks ago
feehenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The GE, should it happen, is proposed to be post-Brexit and I'm concerned the popularity of Lib Dems may be a reaction to opinions on Brexit rather than, you know, all the other many important issues. I'm really surprised and concerned at the popularity of Lib Dems on a student website despite how badly they screwed students over. They're the reason we're probably never gonna pay our student loan off. They don't care as much about Brexit as they're suggesting, they refused to coalition with Corbyn to prevent No-Deal Brexit. They're right-opportunists who are using you.
JustGameIn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would vote for either The Brexit Party or The Conservatives.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Let's be honest, the Conservatives are screwed, their popularity is falling each day
I think your going to be disappointed come polling day. Obviously anything can happen, colossal ****ups like May's have happened before, and will happen again, but as it stands boris stands to win big, and potentially very big if the brexit party get behind him on a no-deal platform.

Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by feehenson)
The GE, should it happen, is proposed to be post-Brexit and I'm concerned the popularity of Lib Dems may be a reaction to opinions on Brexit rather than, you know, all the other many important issues. I'm really surprised and concerned at the popularity of Lib Dems on a student website despite how badly they screwed students over. They're the reason we're probably never gonna pay our student loan off. They don't care as much about Brexit as they're suggesting, they refused to coalition with Corbyn to prevent No-Deal Brexit. They're right-opportunists who are using you.
No. The only people suggesting a post-Brexit election are the remainers. The government has briefed the 14th Oct to the media.

Remember that when people like Mary Creigh spout rubbish like that, its because she is supporting a neverendum in a 63% leave seat on a majority of just 3000. She's afraid of losing her seat, not of the executive changing the date because they want to be fighting court cases for months.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I think your going to be disappointed come polling day. Obviously anything can happen, colossal ****ups like May's have happened before, and will happen again, but as it stands boris stands to win big, and potentially very big if the brexit party get behind him on a no-deal platform.

Of course Conservatives still stand a chance to win, with Boris Brexit will happen faster and that's what people want but also many people don't want a no-deal, combined with the hate for the Tories in general amongst the public I wouldn't be surprised if Labour won this time.
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If Labour binned Corbyn and moved more in the 'new' Labour direction again I would vote for them.
Lib Dems are fools with one clear policy and thats to stop Brexit.
Conservatives have BoJo, and I am not a fan, but policy wise they seem to be more my cup of tea at the moment.
What do the Brexit Party want except Brexit again? These so called 'British nationalists' just want to see Britain become an extension of Trumps America.
Change UK ahahahahahahahah Just no just no.
Green Party :pd:
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Lib dem, nothing to do with Brexit
Same here must likely but I hope the Lib Dems would consider standing down their candidate in my constituency in order to support a pro-Remain Labour MP who has consistently been clear and frank to his constituents about opposition to Brexit. It would be an utter pitty to lose a credible politician in a snap election whose seat is forecasted to be regained by the Lib Dems as he's well liked in my constituency and mostly respected as well.
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course they are. Confiscating £300 million from investors and handing it to other people is pretty well as extreme as you can get. Then confiscating the bulk of the income generated from that £300 million of holdings and giving it to the treasury compounds it. I take it you are happy for your pension savings to reduced by 10%. But are your parents?
Do you support corporation taxes, because your argument is basically the same as the one arguing for lowering or abolishing those - which is deeply unpopular amongst the populace.

It seems to me that you support highly unpopular positions and label those with different ideas as extremist the way Antifa label anyone to the right of Ed Miliband a fascist.

In my lifetime I’ve seen ‘mainstream’ parties trash the economy, bring in mass privatisation, launch pointless wars, bring in countless immigration and launch radical social policies... which make your above criticisms look like a drop in the ocean.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Of course Conservatives still stand a chance to win, with Boris Brexit will happen faster and that's what people want but also many people don't want a no-deal, combined with the hate for the Tories in general amongst the public I wouldn't be surprised if Labour won this time.
The Tories (even under May) have largely been ahead of Labour for most of the last 9 years.

There are places like London which dislike the modern Tory party but you would be suprised how many places outside have a silent Tory majority.

Remember that even after 9 years of power the Tories still have more than 2000 council seats over Labour. Thats not subjective polling, that is mathematical fact based how people have voted.

Also here is a kicker of a fact for you - No opposition has ever won an election without having a majority of council seats first. Corbyn would need to break records to remove them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed