recommend a french film for my personal statement

Watch
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello so im applying for french and german degrees and my german bit is full and has so much detail but i am lacking in french due to not having the best teachers at school (my german teacher is way more enthusiastic). if anyone has any french film recommendations that i could watch and write about that would be great (i love film anyway so this isnt really a chore haha) xx thank youuuu
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know what's good/bad for a personal statement but here are some I like. [Disclaimer: not a french speaker so not sure if these are good examples of the language being used]

"Modern":
La Vie en rose
La haine
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Three Colours: Blue
Three Colours: Red
The Beat That My Heart Skipped
Rust and Bone
Amour
Stranger by the Lake

There's also other current directors like Claire Denis, Xavier Dolan, Francois Ozon that are well recommended. They seem to predominately make french language films.

And of course there's countless films from the French new-wave and before. Some of my favourites:
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Green Ray
Hiroshima, mon amour
Last Year at Marienbad
The Rules of the Game
The 400 Blows
Cleo from 5 to 7
La Belle et la bete
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Toki the Dumdum)
I don't know what's good/bad for a personal statement but here are some I like. [Disclaimer: not a french speaker so not sure if these are good examples of the language being used]

"Modern":
La Vie en rose
La haine
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Three Colours: Blue
Three Colours: Red
The Beat That My Heart Skipped
Rust and Bone
Amour
Stranger by the Lake

There's also other current directors like Claire Denis, Xavier Dolan, Francois Ozon that are well recommended. They seem to predominately make french language films.

And of course there's countless films from the French new-wave and before. Some of my favourites:
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Green Ray
Hiroshima, mon amour
Last Year at Marienbad
The Rules of the Game
The 400 Blows
Cleo from 5 to 7
La Belle et la bete
wow thank you so so much i didnt expect anyone to send a list that good!! ill get down to researching and finding them!! you absolute legend
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (572)
34.29%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.5%

Watched Threads