Tesco Interview. Watch

Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I applied (using an application form) to Tesco for any general vacancies and I now have an interview on Monday at 7pm at my local branch. Chuffed to bits since I've been looking for work for over a year now. The hours seemed to fit really well with college and the pay should be good enough.

A few questions to anyone with experience of Tesco's process:

a) What should I wear? (I was thinking black jeans and a shirt with proper shoes)
b) What kind of questions can I expect?
c) Will they require references?
d) How much is the pay for a 17 y.o?

Thanks i.a.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wear some smart (non-jean) trousers and a shirt, making an effort will give a good impression :yep: jeans promote a more 'I cba' look :p:

Questions:
Well I don't work for Tesco, but I have worked for a rival supermarket (and have had an interview at another supermarket too). Expect stuff like:

Why do you want to work for Tesco?
What can you bring to the company?
What are your good points?
What are your bad points?
Give examples of teamwork/group work..
And perhaps some roleplay questions, e.g. what would you do if...

With regards to references, I'd just give them an academic one, your tutor or a teacher who knows you well? Or any previous employers. Whilst references are good to have, a lot of people use Tesco as a 'first job' and I doubt they have many references, so you should be okay without them.

Good luck!
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, dress as smart as you possibly can - it worked for me.

In my interview they were particularly keen on hearing about a time when I had to remain calm and organise something whilst under pressure. If you've participatedi n any group activities/teams/organisaitonsi n the past referring to those would be a help. They might also ask you what you'd do in a situation (e.g. if somebody dropped a glass jar in an aisle).

Tesco was my first job at 16 and I didn't need references, although they might have chaned since then.

Good luck!
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh yeah, as for pay - you get paid a basic rate and then there's a bit of location pay on top of that which varies from area to area (e.g. if you're in London it'll be higher).

Your pay goes up after 6 months and it'll go up again when you turn 18... Tesco probably pay the best out of all the major supermarkets... although the Waitrose annual bonus is probably tastier.
Sobriquet_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a) I know people who dressed very formally and also others who went in jeans/a hoodie. Both types of people got a job so it's very much up to you - whichever you would feel more comfortable in.

b) I remember there being a lot of questions about how you would react in different situations. For example, if a customer asked for help would you leave the job you were doing to help them or explain that you're busy at the moment? (Tip: customers always come first)

c) They don't care much for references if you're only looking for part time work. I believe they contacted my work experience employer, but that was after I'd begun working at Tesco.

d) £4.964/hour - it goes up to £5.225 after 6 months, and also increases when you turn 18.

Hope this helps you. I've been working part time at Tesco for a year now so if you have any questions, just ask me!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I went for interview (four years ago!) they had me bag packing to see how I interacted with customers!
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ah yeah me too!
Sobriquet_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, I never had to do anything like that. I was just thrown straight in there!
P_Ben21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dress smart

why do you want to work at tescos?
what can you offer tescos?
what makes you right for tescos?
what hours are you available for?

yes they will require references
£6 something

just read 4.96? i worked at tescos and was 17 i started on £6 something.
Sobriquet_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by P_Ben21)
just read 4.96? i worked at tescos and was 17 i started on £6 something.
It could be that it varies per region as someone else mentioned, but £4.964 is definitely what I started on (at age 16). In fact, it only just changed with this month's pay.
sparkyitfc18
Report 10 years ago
I worked at tesco for 6 months (hated it checkouts are mind numbingly dul), i got called in on the day asking to come in, i took my cv and a folder of cirtificates and other bits and basically they looked through it and offered me a job, no real probing questions just what hours i could do.
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sobriquet_)
It could be that it varies per region as someone else mentioned, but £4.964 is definitely what I started on (at age 16). In fact, it only just changed with this month's pay.
Yeah, it varies depending on where you are... when I was 16 I was on £4.33 (that was back in 2002 though!). When I was 18 I left my Tesco in Essex and transferred to one in Leeds, meaning I effectively took a pay cut from £6.12 to £5.69.

You get paid more if you're a customer assistant (i.e. checkouts or kiosk) as opposed to being a general assistant (shop floor or warehouse) as well.
Laura26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My pay was £5.60 when I was 17. Went up to £6.70 when I turned 18 (2 weeks ago) but we have just had a 3.8% rise so it is now £6.95. I agree with the others - i don't think it really matters what you wear but I think I wore something smartish (smart trousers, shirt etc).

In my interview, she asked questions like...
"When was the last time you helped someone? How did you help them?"
"When was the last time you struggled to learn something new? How did you overcome this?"
"Talk about a time when you worked in a team"
Laura26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EssexDan86)

You get paid more if you're a customer assistant (i.e. checkouts or kiosk) as opposed to being a general assistant (shop floor or warehouse) as well.
Really? I work on Non-Food and get the same as anyone on Checkouts?
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laura26)
Really? I work on Non-Food and get the same as anyone on Checkouts?
Are you checkout trained?
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's not true for most stores now. I get the same as people on checkouts, always have done, and when I was till trained my wage didn't go up at all.

As for my wage. I started on £4.99 as a sixteen year old. Each year, the pay review increases this After six months, my wage went up, and again after a year. However, they've changed the system now so that after six months service, you're on the wage that you previously would have recieved after one year.
Laura26
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Are you checkout trained?
Yeah I am. But as Joanna May says, I don't think my pay went up after I was trained?

I have heard that people on the deli/meat/fish counters get paid more??
Scotsman1988
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They did away with that in 2005. Only Dot Com drivers get paid more per hour.
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Scotsman1988)
They did away with that in 2005. Only Dot Com drivers get paid more per hour.
Ah rubbish - the shelf stacker monkeys are now equal.

Only kidding guys
mike101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive worked for tesco for 9 months but not had a pay rise, still on just short of £6/hour, well about £6.15 with the yearly rise.

I was told you dont get a rise after 6 months now just after a year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (160)
18.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.95%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (144)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (124)
14.35%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.72%
How can I be the best version of myself? (266)
30.79%

Watched Threads