The Student Room Group

Shared kitchen in halls

I’m starting uni this month and am wondering about the shared kitchen.

Firstly, since the kitchen is going to be shared by lots of people, what’s the point of everyone having their own pots, pans and utensils?
It would just take up extra space.
So should I buy these before I move in?
What usually happens at uni?

Also, since the kitchens get cleaned, does that mean the dishes also get cleaned. I’m fine cleaning my own dishes but when the kitchen gets cleaned, do the cleaners clean everything in the kitchen?

Also, what are the fridges like? Am I going to have to label everything that is mine? And the cupboards? Do we each get our own or something like that?
You'll most likely have to clean your own dishes and whatnot, the cleaners are just responsible for anything considered 'communal'. (Not your individual items)

Depends how much storage space you have but at my uni most accomodation had enough for at least one cupboard each, and a shelf in the fridge/freezer each.
(Mind you, our kitchen was massive)

I'd at least consider buying some kitchen essentials (a wok is always handy) but you could always get these the weekend you move in (just make sure to go early)
It's best to have some of your own kitchen utensils due other people's dietary requirements and hygiene standards. Also stuff will inevitably get broken or go missing. You don't have to go too overboard with kitchen utensils, but you will at least want a pan and some cutlery and utensils that are your own. Buy the essentials that you will definitely need beforehand. If there is anything you decide you want later on, you can always buy them from the shops near uni.

The kitchen floor is cleaned and usually the counters too (unless they are ridiculously messy - there is only so much that it is fair to ask the cleaners to clean). Washing up and taking bins out etc is up to you and your flatmates. Most halls have a rota for whose turn it is to empty the bins. At some halls, if the bins are overflowing and haven't been taken out, the cleaners will take them out but there will be a fine involved.

You don't have to label everything if you don't want to. Not many people bother most of the time. Usually if people label food, it's because they don't want it getting confused with other people's or they particularly don't want people eating it. Also, at some halls, cleaners routinely check the fridge and dispose of food that is going out of date.
Take your own stuff, anything shared is gonn A get lost broken or be constantly dirty. You'll do your own dishes and bins. Normally everyone gets their own shelf in the fridge their own cupboard or two. Get the top shelf in the fridge if poss to avoid stuff dripping on your food

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending