danishh3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
....and english monolinguals think in english, how do english-french bilinguals think?
danishh3
Rep:
?
Bump
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
depends on their original native language, but true bilinguals with excellent proficiency would think in both
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depends what language was needed in the situation, I suppose.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by danishh3)
....and english monolinguals think in english, how do english-french bilinguals think?
With their brain!

I switch, depending upon where, and how immersed, I am. I find it easier to switch the language that I'm thinking in, than to translate.
danishh3
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
depends on their original native language, but true bilinguals with excellent proficiency would think in both
What do you mean by "both"?
danishh3
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
With their brain!

I switch, depending upon where, and how immersed, I am. I find it easier to switch the language that I'm thinking in, than to translate.
So you think in a mixed language? Like frenglish?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So you think in a mixed language? Like frenglish?
No, I think in one or the other. If I'm in France and talking French, I'll think in French. In the US and UK, it'll be English.
username4697360
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’m bilingual (English and Arabic) and I usually think in a mixture of both. Sometimes just English and sometimes just Arabic.
Last edited by username4697360; 6 months ago
danishh3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Legally Jasmine)
I’m bilingual (English and Arabic) and I usually think in a mixture of both. Sometimes just English and sometimes just Arabic.
Which is your better language?
danishh3
Rep:
?
So you think in Arabglish?
username4697360
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So you think in Arabglish?
Yes, we call it arabeezee here (English is “engleezee” in Arabic).

And I’m better at English, especially in the academic side of things. But I’m used to speaking in “arabeezee” with my friends.

Commonly speaking in an amalgamation of the two is an epidemic here for certain people :lol:
danishh3
Rep:
?
Yes, we call it arabeezee here (English is “engleezee” in Arabic).

And I’m better at English, especially in the academic side of things. But I’m used to speaking in “arabeezee” with my friends.

Commonly speaking in an amalgamation of the two is an epidemic here for certain people :lol:
So doesn't that mean you think in English and Arabic?
username4697360
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So doesn't that mean you think in English and Arabic?
Yes
danishh3
Rep:
?
Yes
What is your default thinking language?
username4697360
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What is your default thinking language?
Honestly, I have no clue. I will pay attention today and report back
danishh3
Rep:
?
Honestly, I have no clue. I will pay attention today and report back
Wouldn't it be your better language, English?
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This thread is giving me a headache
username4697360
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Wouldn't it be your better language, English?

Not really.

Ok, I thought about it:

If you take each language individually, it’d be English. But usually when I speak to my friends we speak in a mixture of both; weirdly without being conscious about it.

Honestly, to answer your OP, which probably seeks to know how bilinguals think in general, I think it varies. It depends on which language they usually speak and whether it’s a mixture of both.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking in Arabic, sometimes English and sometimes both. There’s really no definitive answer.

I think it also depends on who the person has been mostly speaking to atm. Right now since most of my friends have already traveled for uni, I’m sitting with my fam a lot and they speak predominantly in Arabic, so I’m thinking in Arabic more often.

I speak with some of my friends mostly in English, so at that time I think I’d be more inclined to unconsciously think in English.

Also depends on the topic of thought.

My head for some reason hurts trying to catch each unconscious thought and seeing which language I just thought in :lol:
danishh3
Rep:
?
Not really.

Ok, I thought about it:

If you take each language individually, it’d be English. But usually when I speak to my friends we speak in a mixture of both; weirdly without being conscious about it.

Honestly, to answer your OP, which probably seeks to know how bilinguals think in general, I think it varies. It depends on which language they usually speak and whether it’s a mixture of both.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking in Arabic, sometimes English and sometimes both. There’s really no definitive answer.

I think it also depends on who the person has been mostly speaking to atm. Right now since most of my friends have already traveled for uni, I’m sitting with my fam a lot and they speak predominantly in Arabic, so I’m thinking in Arabic more often.

I speak with some of my friends mostly in English, so at that time I think I’d be more inclined to unconsciously think in English.

Also depends on the topic of thought.

My head for some reason hurts trying to catch each unconscious thought and seeing which language I just thought in :lol:
So how many languages can you think in altogether?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (131)
30.05%
No (305)
69.95%

Watched Threads