The Student Room Group

Learning to Drive

I’ve finished year 12 and turned 17 this summer and I’m going into year 13. One thing I’ve noticed a lot is that many people in my tutor group / classes can drive already, or a learning how to drive. I know they had their seventeenth birthdays earlier but I haven’t even thought about driving yet or learning how to.

I don’t really have a specific need to drive, I can walk into town, walk to the train station and get a bus into London, but I’m just looking for opinions on when you think the best time to learn to drive is? Do you think it’s important to your driving test before you go to university or did you learn to drive in year 13? Did you manage it with a levels or when did you learn to?

I’m just looking for some thoughts / personal experience and advice.
Reply 1
I was born towards the start of the academic year and had to learn to drive quite soon, becuase I live 21 miles away from the college that I go to (and my mum couldnt afford the bus). So I started at the beginning of year 12 and by June had my license. I then dropped my course and started a new course (basically dropped down a year) and I was the only one who could drive for pretty much the whole year. I belive there are only 3 or 4 people in my class that are now able to drive. So its highly unlikely that you will be the only one in your class who hasnt learn to drive yet. My sister is in a similar situation now - but she has no intrest in learning to drive year (making me her personal taxi :s-smilie:) but thats ok with us and it works.

If you dont need to learn to drive right now, I would reccommend waiting - by the sounds of it you've got plenty of ways of getting around without depending on other people. Plus driving lessons and tests are hella expensive, so if you can wait and save some money up for it that would be better. Youll also probably do better with your driving if you wait until you actually feel a need to drive as otherwise right now you may not put as much effort in and end up needing more lessons (more money) or have to do more than one of the theory or practical test.
(edited 4 years ago)
I passed in year 12 because my college is so far away and I also wanted to get it out of the way. If you can afford it maybe get it out of the way but if you don’t need to I wouldn’t rush in to it (insurance, a car, driving lessons altogether is a lot of money)
Honestly you probably have more time and money than you will for a while. Learn now. Many jobs require a license and many more will be an awkward commute without a car. Plus if you learn now when you buy a car in a few years your insurance will be cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending