Dom1234598
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys,

So I am planning on joining the UOTC. I have read online that at the initial medical that there is a drug test, others say it is just to check for diabetes. I understand that after the initial medical, I will be subject to the possibility of random drug tests.

So basically I'd just like to know if 1) you are 100% sure it is a drug test at the beginning medical (perhaps you know someone who failed?) and 2) how strict would the army be if I told them the truth, would I not be allowed to join?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not usually at the medical, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that UOTC candidates have been tested at the selection weekend or at least very early on in the process.

You could contact your AFCO and see if whatever you've been taking with preclude entry to the Army, but of course you tell the truth during your application; if it means you can't join up, it's because the military don't want the risk of flashbacks, subject to blackmail, future relapse etc.
Simonm8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Not usually at the medical, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that UOTC candidates have been tested at the selection weekend or at least very early on in the process.

You could contact your AFCO and see if whatever you've been taking with preclude entry to the Army, but of course you tell the truth during your application; if it means you can't join up, it's because the military don't want the risk of flashbacks, subject to blackmail, future relapse etc.
I haven't seen any evidence, that there is in fact selection weekends anymore. It doesn't say anything on the army website?
mariannadyer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Simonm8)
I haven't seen any evidence, that there is in fact selection weekends anymore. It doesn't say anything on the army website?
Hi,

There is definitely is selection weekends although every unit runs their own slightly differently. Yes you are subject to drugs tests like every other member of the Armed Services whether regular or reserve. It's definitely better to be honest with your application though - there's absolutely nothing worse than being caught lying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (159)
66.53%
No (80)
33.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed