Return to Studies - Finance Eligibility Watch

Bb8myhomework
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi

I suspended my studies in March this year due to health and family reasons and am due to return at the end of this month. I had loads of difficulties trying to do my application online and eventually went down the snail mail route which is why I'm so late facing the issue.

I rang up about an unrelated issue on my account today that seems to be slowing the progress of the application but the chap I spoke to gave me some information that has spiked my anxiety because it contradicts what the literature suggests.

The guy on the phone said: "because you are returning to studies after a break for health reasons you will only be entitled to 60 days of funding this year."

I assumed this refers to where it says: "If you can't attend your course due to illness, you can still get full student finance for 60 days."

He half confirmed that I was looking in the right place but told me that doesn't refer to the 2018/19 academic year, as I'd assumed but the 2019/2020 academic year when I will resume my studies.

I didn't have it in front of me during the call but on this site you state:
If you suspended and return to your studies in the same academic year, your uni or college will let us know and we’ll reassess your student finance. If you return in a new academic year, you should reapply for student finance as normal.

Because I had an overpayment last year due to the suspension, I would therefore be left with nothing if this is the case (this is from my basic estimation of what 60 days finance looks like versus what the overpayment is).

I'll find out the proper/ personalised answer to my query in about 14 days I've been told but I just want to know if this is correct information so I can work out how I can self fund my PGCE to make up the shortfall.

I just feel like a lot of the information I've received today contradicts what I knew when I chose to suspend my studies so even though I'm not after some sort of absolute answer, I just want to know whether because I am returning to my studies (which will run October to June, full time due to resits) I am only entitled to 60 days funding.

Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?