The Student Room Group

Is math essential if I want to study medicine

Hi, my name is shahd and I am starting my As level this year . I want to study medicine but I was not sure if I should take math in order to study medicine. Some sources say that I have to and some say that it is not required. I am not so good in math nor physics and I am just planning on taking chemistry, biology and sociology ... is this on or will I not have any opportunity in medicine if I did not take math ?
no, for most of the medicine universities math is not required. However I prefer you to take Physics.
Reply 2
Original post by caiestudent123
no, for most of the medicine universities math is not required. However I prefer you to take Physics.

But i really dislike physics and I just want to take sociology. Do you think it's okay?
Reply 3
Original post by Sh_w
But i really dislike physics and I just want to take sociology. Do you think it's okay?

Check some universities that you think you might apply for and look at what subjects they would prefer, some won't allow for subjects other than maths/F. maths and the core sciences(Biology, Chemistry and Physics), others might but will require you to get higher grades
Those subjects should do fine , as long as you do chem and bio its all good
Reply 5
I'm in the same position as u but I chose not to choose maths as it's not one of my strong subjects. Pm mee x :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Sh_w
Hi, my name is shahd and I am starting my As level this year . I want to study medicine but I was not sure if I should take math in order to study medicine. Some sources say that I have to and some say that it is not required. I am not so good in math nor physics and I am just planning on taking chemistry, biology and sociology ... is this on or will I not have any opportunity in medicine if I did not take math ?

Only Cambridge requires maths (and even that's a bit more complicated). No one requires Alevel physics if you are doing Chemistry and Biology.
You will need a decent GCSE in maths for many places though. The BMAT has both maths and physics sections and UCAT uses maths concepts.
Reply 7
Original post by Matt1778
Those subjects should do fine , as long as you do chem and bio its all good

Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by 2500_2
Only Cambridge requires maths (and even that's a bit more complicated). No one requires Alevel physics if you are doing Chemistry and Biology.
You will need a decent GCSE in maths for many places though. The BMAT has both maths and physics sections and UCAT uses maths concepts.

Yea I already took IGCSE math and got a B
Reply 9
Original post by TX27
I'm in the same position as u but I chose not to choose maths as it's not one of my strong subjects. Pm mee x :smile:

Yea I think I will do the same .. thankss

Quick Reply

Latest