Josh86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a place at uni... I am a born UK national, but as I was living in Switzerland the finance calculator says I am not eligible... How can I not be eligible yet EU nationals are eligible,? Does this mean I can apply as an EU member, I am relocating to UK and will not have swiss recidency anymore
Jen SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Josh86)
I have a place at uni... I am a born UK national, but as I was living in Switzerland the finance calculator says I am not eligible... How can I not be eligible yet EU nationals are eligible,? Does this mean I can apply as an EU member, I am relocating to UK and will not have swiss recidency anymore
Hi Josh,

Do you hold dual nationality?

Thanks, Jen
Josh86
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jen SFE)
Hi Josh,

Do you hold dual nationality?

Thanks, Jen
Hi Jen, thanks for the reply, I hold dual nationality, but south African/British.. As my parents immigrated to South Africa when I was a kid. Prior to living 3 years in Switzerland I lived in London for over 10 years
Last edited by Josh86; 1 year ago
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Jen, thanks for the reply, I hold dual nationality, but south African/British.. As my parents immigrated to South Africa when I was a kid. Prior to living 3 years in Switzerland I lived in London for over 10 years
Hello Josh,

Since you have dual nationality and spent the last several years living in the EEA, then you have two options to apply – one as a home student the other for EU funding.

If you have lived in the UK at some point since birth there is a chance you can be assessed as a home student for tuition fees and living costs, as UK nationals have the right to roam in other EEA states.

Therefore we advise that you apply on a paper PN1 form if it won't let you apply online and send a covering letter signed and dated to state where you have been living since birth.

We will need to see valid and in date British passport details or an original UK birth certificate with a birth certificate form. You can get all these forms from this website - http://ow.ly/Ryqd30mpJmU

The general rule is:

A UK national does not need to meet the 3 year residency criteria if they have been exercising a right to reside in the EU or Switzerland. They must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA or Switzerland for the 3 year period prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course, and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first term of their course. In these circumstances the UK national must:

- Provide a breakdown of their residency details since birth
- Have been ordinarily resident in England, prior to exercising their right to reside

We will require confirmation that they have been ordinarily resident in the UK.

If the UK national has never been ordinarily resident in the UK they may still be eligible to apply for the EU funding as long as they have been ordinarily resident in the EEA or Switzerland for the 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Warm Regards, Dean.
Josh86
Rep:
?
Thanks Dean, I have sent off the requested additional info to student finance, just a bit stressful having been declined, when uni starts monday

Kind regards
Josh86
Rep:
?
Hi Dean, this is really stressful, I sent off the requested documents, and a letter arrived at my old address stating... " you are NOT eligible for funding as you don't live in the UK, you need to be living in the UK on first day of your course".... I am currently in the UK, at the university, moved into accommodation on campus and have enrolled, my course starts tomorrow... As you can imagine this is quite stressful, and I'm getting the feeling that it's a case of not wanting to fund rather than finding a solution. Even though I am born in the UK, lived over a decade in London prior to living in the EU... I am prepared to apply as a EU member, even though I do not agree with paying additional thousands of quid as I am originally British and not from an EU state... Advise.

Kind regards
Josh
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Dean, this is really stressful, I sent off the requested documents, and a letter arrived at my old address stating... " you are NOT eligible for funding as you don't live in the UK, you need to be living in the UK on first day of your course".... I am currently in the UK, at the university, moved into accommodation on campus and have enrolled, my course starts tomorrow... As you can imagine this is quite stressful, and I'm getting the feeling that it's a case of not wanting to fund rather than finding a solution. Even though I am born in the UK, lived over a decade in London prior to living in the EU... I am prepared to apply as a EU member, even though I do not agree with paying additional thousands of quid as I am originally British and not from an EU state... Advise.

Kind regards
Josh
Hi Josh,

Send us a private message via Facebook or Twitter and we will look into this further.

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (60)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (96)
27.83%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (132)
38.26%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (46)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.19%

Watched Threads