A Level Retakes & dropping subject to do another Watch

Westengland24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello - I shall try to keep this as concise as possible! Any advice would be much appreciated!

I finished my A levels last year (June 2018) but, before exams even started, I knew I wanted to retake them as I knew I wouldn't achieve the grades I wanted- due to some personal circumstances (which also lead to a lack in revision).

I was advised to perhaps take a year out before redoing them and plus, I didn't want my parents to pay for my retakes so, the past year I have managed to save up for said retakes.

I took English Literature, Biology and Psychology, but I am dropping Biology to take up either Spanish or History (deciding by the end of this week but, I'm leaning towards Spanish more)

I don't plan to go to university for another two years so I was planning to - retake English and Psychology in June 2020 and then either Spanish or History in 2021.

I would just like to know if anyone else has done something similar to this - how did they go about taking their exams, did you just study at home ( I plan to do this), did you drop a subject and self teach another and perhaps get a tutor?

I have more a few more questions and stuff, I feel like I've left it somewhat last minute but, onwards and upwards really. I'm not super super stressed about revision with psychology and English Literature as I know how I like to revise for them and what works best and, I'm willing to find structure and put a lot of effort in. I might consider a tutor towards christmas but- I'm just a bit weary on what to do about dropping bio for another subject.

Sorry I didn't actually keep this concise. Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice!!
maiishaa-a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Westengland24)
Hello - I shall try to keep this as concise as possible! Any advice would be much appreciated!

I finished my A levels last year (June 2018) but, before exams even started, I knew I wanted to retake them as I knew I wouldn't achieve the grades I wanted- due to some personal circumstances (which also lead to a lack in revision).

I was advised to perhaps take a year out before redoing them and plus, I didn't want my parents to pay for my retakes so, the past year I have managed to save up for said retakes.

I took English Literature, Biology and Psychology, but I am dropping Biology to take up either Spanish or History (deciding by the end of this week but, I'm leaning towards Spanish more)

I don't plan to go to university for another two years so I was planning to - retake English and Psychology in June 2020 and then either Spanish or History in 2021.

I would just like to know if anyone else has done something similar to this - how did they go about taking their exams, did you just study at home ( I plan to do this), did you drop a subject and self teach another and perhaps get a tutor?

I have more a few more questions and stuff, I feel like I've left it somewhat last minute but, onwards and upwards really. I'm not super super stressed about revision with psychology and English Literature as I know how I like to revise for them and what works best and, I'm willing to find structure and put a lot of effort in. I might consider a tutor towards christmas but- I'm just a bit weary on what to do about dropping bio for another subject.

Sorry I didn't actually keep this concise. Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice!!
I was in a similar situation to you except that I didn't sit any exams at all. I dropped out of college and changed my original A-Level (Chem, Biology and Maths) into English Lit, Maths and Accounting. I've been self-teaching myself and there's plenty of resources out there that can help you with that and having a tutor on the side is a great idea, just to give you a boost and help you get your head around any topics you didn't understand or any weakness you may have in the subject or simply just to boost your grades like anybody else would like to. But self-teaching is great if your motivated and can keep yourself motivated throughout the whole course.
maiishaa-a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But if you feel sitting exams again is a lot of trouble and any reoccurring problems you may have get in the way of studying and revision...know there are other options out there for you. Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.68%
No (245)
76.32%

Watched Threads