The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m interested I’m med school and I’m in year 10 now and want to know roughly what I need to get in gcse and A levels to get into a good competitive medical school
Original post by Josh-fc
I’m interested I’m med school and I’m in year 10 now and want to know roughly what I need to get in gcse and A levels to get into a good competitive medical school

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/

They are all competitive.
Reply 3
I got
Maths 7
English lit 9
English Lang 8
Re 9
Combined science 9-8
History 9
Business 9
Spanish 7
Are my gcse results good enough for med school ?

Would I be able to get into med school with these results if so which ones I really want to go to oxford or Cambridge ???
Reply 4
nah they pretty smegma results bro sorry
Reply 5
What do you mean ?
Reply 6
Are they that bad ?
Nah Josh dw bro. If ur working well at A Level then defo worth applying. Also, those grades are excellent!
Cam9823 mind flexing ur GCSE results mate?
Reply 9
Original post by Josh-fc
I got
Maths 7
English lit 9
English Lang 8
Re 9
Combined science 9-8
History 9
Business 9
Spanish 7

Would I be able to get into med school with these results if so which ones I really want to go to oxford or Cambridge ???

For the majority of medical schools yeah they're good enough. 7 A*s and 2 As, that's something. But it's unlikely that GCSEs alone will make or break your application.

For Oxford your GCSEs are actually below the average. The average number of A*s among all applicants is 8 and among applicants shortlisted for interview it's just over 10, so you would have to perform very well in the BMAT indeed in order to have a chance there. Source: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

With Cambridge the standard of GCSEs is slightly lower - avg. no. of A*s for applicants is 7, among offer holders it's 9. Source:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/569747/response/1368694/attach/2/FOI%202019%20306%20Torih%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Original post by Josh-fc
What do you mean ?

Not good enough for Oxford I’m afraid, without any other circumstances. However Cambridge do not have such a large emphasis on GCSEs so maybe try for there?
Is 4 9s, 5 8s and a 7 alright? Just asking out of interest
Original post by cam9823
how many times do i have to repeat my self, no wonder you got **** grades you are so slow and simple

I think I saw u on another post telling this yr 10 girl she'd fail when she asked about biology, chemistry and maths stuff...
Original post by DynamoAlchemyst

9 A* and an A. I think so, but maybe ask Sinnoh
Reply 14
Maths 9
English lit 8
English Lang 9
Physics 9
Bio 9
Chem 8
Geography 9
French 9
Spanish 9

Drama 7
Original post by Josh-fc
I got
Maths 7
English lit 9
English Lang 8
Re 9
Combined science 9-8
History 9
Business 9
Spanish 7

I think they’re good grades
Reply 16

get on my level beta male
You’ll be fine. A Levels are much more important.
They are satisfactory, although a good As level score on top of that is crucial to getting into a prestigious university. Your grades are fine, but maths seems to be one your weak points. I suggest you can try to improve that grade in particular as it can hurt your chances with universities like Oxford or Cambridge because it's considered to be one of the most basic subjects, especially when trying to get into med school. With that in mind, keep up the great work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19

Oxford treat 8s and 9s as equivalent - for now. So that's 9 A*s and 1 A, putting you within interview and offer-holder territory for Oxford and Cambridge (provided your BMAT is good)
'Alright' is a bit of an understatement lol

Latest

Trending

Trending