jay111a
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If parliament is able to pass legislation that makes it unlawful for the the UK to leave the EU without a deal, (which is a big if as it has to go through the house of lords) forcing Boris to request another article 50 extension. What is stopping Boris from using the UK veto to block that extension form being granted?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No idea but my understanding is that Boris doesn't sit around the table that decides stuff like that.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jay111a)
If parliament is able to pass legislation that makes it unlawful for the the UK to leave the EU without a deal, (which is a big if as it has to go through the house of lords) forcing Boris to request another article 50 extension. What is stopping Boris from using the UK veto to block that extension form being granted?
Why do you assume the EU will agree to an extension again, if requested, anyway?
jay111a
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Why do you assume the EU will agree to an extension again, if requested, anyway?
you are correct, they might not grant an extension, I was just thinking about one possible scenario
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I dont know how you dont see this as a horrible idea, think about this on a basic level. The EU is not our friend in these negotiations as proven by the horrible deals they have offered us and the ridiculous money they are charging us for all these extensions; if they know we absolutely cannot not take a deal they will offer us a terrible one.
jay111a
Rep:
?
(Original post by josh75)
I dont know how you dont see this as a horrible idea, think about this on a basic level. The EU is not our friend in these negotiations as proven by the horrible deals they have offered us and the ridiculous money they are charging us for all these extensions; if they know we absolutely cannot not take a deal they will offer us a terrible one.
I agree with you. But I trust the EU more than I trust Boris Johnson and his government.
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I agree with you. But I trust the EU more than I trust Boris Johnson and his government.
Firstly why the EU has been horrible to our country throughout this whole ordeal, they could have easily given us a fair deal but chose to **** us. They have also time and time again shown that they don't actually care about democracy or a countries sovereignty whether it be in Greece France or Ireland.
Boris hasn't dont anything like this at all, suspending parliament is legal and he is doing it to stop MPs from technocratically upend a democratic vote.
Finally what you said makes no sense as if you agree the EU would **** us why would you not want to just leave and do better, becuase i assure you getting a bad deal is way worse than no deal; the EU will make sure of it.
Joe5001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why is Borris in number 10 he is not British he was not born in the UK. I know his parents were but that is irreverent
Last edited by Joe5001; 1 week ago
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Firstly why the EU has been horrible to our country throughout this whole ordeal, they could have easily given us a fair deal but chose to **** us. They have also time and time again shown that they don't actually care about democracy or a countries sovereignty whether it be in Greece France or Ireland.
Boris hasn't dont anything like this at all, suspending parliament is legal and he is doing it to stop MPs from technocratically upend a democratic vote.
Finally what you said makes no sense as if you agree the EU would **** us why would you not want to just leave and do better, becuase i assure you getting a bad deal is way worse than no deal; the EU will make sure of it.
Mr Johnson spent many years as a journalist making up stories about the EU and annoying many in the Commission. He is not worthy of respect from anyone, be they in the UK or any member state of the EU. Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher never sought to shut down or restrict debate, or try to avoid negotiations, nor be insulting to the people of Liverpool (one example of Mr Johnson) or recite rude poems about the President of another country.

If the deal on offer was so bad, why did Mr Johnson vote for it?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's simple.

Once Art 50 is notified, the member state withdrawing cannot be involved in the European Council's discussions or decisions that relate to that member state's withdrawal.

Check footnote 1. https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc...19-INIT/en/pdf
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 week ago
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Mr Johnson spent many years as a journalist making up stories about the EU and annoying many in the Commission. He is not worthy of respect from anyone, be they in the UK or any member state of the EU. Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher never sought to shut down or restrict debate, or try to avoid negotiations, nor be insulting to the people of Liverpool (one example of Mr Johnson) or recite rude poems about the President of another country.

If the deal on offer was so bad, why did Mr Johnson vote for it?
Restrict debate XD we have had 3 years of that, and the MPs dont want discussion they want to disobey the electorate. Look at how many hard remain MP's are in leave constituencies. He shut down parliament because the political class of this country are trying to turn it into a technocracy.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not sure if youre either taking the piss, dont know whats going on are just blinded by a hatred of Europeans?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It should be noted today in the Lords the Brexit Minister Lord Callanan was asked if the UK Govt would be involved in the European Council discussions/decision. He refused to say yes or no; only that they would respect the terms of the Bill requiring the PM to request an extension.

Now there are two reasons why this could have happened. One is that the Brexit Dept is wanting to leave open the possibility that the British Govt would wade in and frustrate the decision. Or he's not very clued up and is a bit of an idiot -- which was the opinion of the Baroness who asked him the question, who treated it as a given that the British Govt would not be in the room when the issue was discussed/decided.

He is the Minister who was forced to apologise for saying that the Supreme Court "opined" that Art 50 was irrevocable*. Much furore. *And, to be fair to him, it was suggested in the SC judgment that the Art 50 notification was most likely irreversible.

Just checked and Art 50 actually says that the MS shall not be involved in the EC discussion/decision relating to extension of the deadline (para 4). So, seems Lord Callanan is just thick.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 week ago
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
I'm not sure if youre either taking the piss, dont know whats going on are just blinded by a hatred of Europeans?
Its not blind hatred its common sense if we come out of this ok that gives more credibility to the hordes of eurosceptics that are rising in power in the member states. Also just empirical evidence aswel, we have been negotiating for like 3 years and the EU has not offered us anything we can accept. You are delusional if you think the EU wants Britain to come out of this ok.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Boris will A) decide no deal anyway and deal with the consequences with it now being unlawful or B) quit and allow Corbyn in while letting him take the flack from the electorate, but then he would need a general election somehow.
byakuya kuchki
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its not blind hatred its common sense if we come out of this ok that gives more credibility to the hordes of eurosceptics that are rising in power in the member states. Also just empirical evidence aswel, we have been negotiating for like 3 years and the EU has not offered us anything we can accept. You are delusional if you think the EU wants Britain to come out of this ok.
Um, sorry? what do you mean that EU hasn't offered us anything that can accept? They did offer us a deal which would the least impact on the British economy. Well, better then no deal anyways. Why did Johnson not vote for it if he cared so much about Brexit? Let's be honest its not EU's fault we are in this dump. It's the fault of people who voted leave without thinking about consequences. Also, why the **** in a negotiation would the EU give the UK side the better deal? Where did you learn to negotiate from? Trump Academy?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by byakuya kuchki)
Um, sorry? what do you mean that EU hasn't offered us anything that can accept? They did offer us a deal which would the least impact on the British economy. Well, better then no deal anyways. Why did Johnson not vote for it if he cared so much about Brexit? Let's be honest its not EU's fault we are in this dump. It's the fault of people who voted leave without thinking about consequences. Also, why the **** in a negotiation would the EU give the UK side the better deal? Where did you learn to negotiate from? Trump Academy?
Really? Why do 70% of leave voters want a no deal then? They don't know of the consequences right?
josh75
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by byakuya kuchki)
Everyone unanimously agreed the checkers deal was trash, so no we cant accept it; its not just Boris that thought it was a bad idea. It is the EUs fault they could have easily offered us something that our mps would have voted on no one wants no deal if we can help it, the EU just wants to see us fall becuase it benefits them politically. Its also the fault of traitors like you think this country is some technocracy, and want to childishly overturn every democratic vote that doesn't go your way. We would have been 100 times better if you people would have just shut the **** up like your supposed to and support the country instead of acting like we will sink back into the ocean, or you could just leave. For god sake you people are so ****ign arrogant, everyone who voted leave knew we would take an economic hit, but even at worse we will recover from this in at best 5-10 years. Leaving the EU will make our country better for the next 50, by giving us back something more important that our GDP, sovereignty over the country from an increasingly authoritarian and bureaucratic mess; that has shown time and time again it doesn't care about what its member states actually want if it contradicts with the German vision for the future. I honestly suggest if your going to keep screaming bloody murder you emigrate to France, the way you speak you sound like one of them anyway.
jay111a
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Really? Why do 70% of leave voters want a no deal then? They don't know of the consequences right?
because leave voters consist of racist morons and rich people who can benefit from leaving the eu,
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
because leave voters consist of racist morons and rich people who can benefit from leaving the eu,
Was unaware I was racist or rich, lucky me. TSR is so full of morons talking bull****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (154)
24.76%
Pop (150)
24.12%
Jazz (26)
4.18%
Classical (36)
5.79%
Hip-Hop (109)
17.52%