ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am soon going to start a level English Lit. Any good websites that helped with your revision? Any good advice? How do I stay on top of my a-level studies?
Molly1611
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
I am soon going to start a level English Lit. Any good websites that helped with your revision? Any good advice? How do I stay on top of my a-level studies?
I absolutely loved A Level English Literature! There wasn't really any specific websites as most of it is research that takes you to all sorts of websites: but LitCharts and sparknotes was useful for summaries of texts. Advice for Lit is actually read the texts and re read them! You get a different perspective every time you read it- I would read it and then re read a few months later (maybe 6 months?). With English, it's not really about memory like other exams- its a skill. You'll learn how to think in different ways and adapt to different questions and learn how to write in a sophisticated way. Enjoy it! Just enjoy the texts and what they mean to you- Lit teaches you a lot about yourself and your own opinion. Also, listen to other people's interpretations as there is never just one interpretation for a text- if you can back it up with evidence then it's right! Other people's perspectives make you think differently and its really interesting. To stay on top, use your frees wisely, don't waste them on going to the shop or messing about as its not worth it. Of course, have some down time with mates but there were people in my year who didn't use any of their frees and they regretted it. Also (it sounds silly) but start revising content as soon as your start- its better to do revision little and often than getting to year 13 and having to revise and re learn everything. A levels are so so tough but don't give up- apparently year 13 is harder than the first year of uni so once you get through it, it will get easier again good luck!
ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Molly1611)
I absolutely loved A Level English Literature! There wasn't really any specific websites as most of it is research that takes you to all sorts of websites: but LitCharts and sparknotes was useful for summaries of texts. Advice for Lit is actually read the texts and re read them! You get a different perspective every time you read it- I would read it and then re read a few months later (maybe 6 months?). With English, it's not really about memory like other exams- its a skill. You'll learn how to think in different ways and adapt to different questions and learn how to write in a sophisticated way. Enjoy it! Just enjoy the texts and what they mean to you- Lit teaches you a lot about yourself and your own opinion. Also, listen to other people's interpretations as there is never just one interpretation for a text- if you can back it up with evidence then it's right! Other people's perspectives make you think differently and its really interesting. To stay on top, use your frees wisely, don't waste them on going to the shop or messing about as its not worth it. Of course, have some down time with mates but there were people in my year who didn't use any of their frees and they regretted it. Also (it sounds silly) but start revising content as soon as your start- its better to do revision little and often than getting to year 13 and having to revise and re learn everything. A levels are so so tough but don't give up- apparently year 13 is harder than the first year of uni so once you get through it, it will get easier again good luck!
Thank you so much for your advice and reassurance. Really means a lot because I was feeling very anxious and scared lol. This really helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (81)
14.21%
I'm not sure (26)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (181)
31.75%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.11%
I'm not a current university student (270)
47.37%

Watched Threads