The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons - help please?

My husband started his degree in September 2017. In January 2018 my health took a turn for the worse, I had to interrupt my own studies and my husband took on caring for me and our 3 kids, including our 1 year old. I was in a lot of pain with degenerative disc disease, spent many days bedridden and in pain, needing a spinal procedure that April. That whole semester his attendance was patchy.
In May he had exams and failed 2 modules. Some other exams he failed but passed the module based on the coursework component. Of the 2 modules he failed, he scraped a pass on one resit, but failed the resit on the other. Despite failing the resit, he was allowed to progress to year 2.

Now he's finished and passed year 2, but the uni have discontinued his degree - they claim he didn't attend the resit for year 1 but they actually never told him about it. That's a separate issue.

He's now looking to change to a new uni and restart his degree entirely. He has his gift year but is seeking CPR for the year he failed on the basis of caring responsibilities because the whole reason he failed in the first place was because he was studying full time and caring for me and the kids, how he even did as well as he managed was a small miracle. He has a cover letter explaining what happened and why he's asking for this year to be awarded again, plus evidence showing my health decline, which is plentiful. I have doctors notes, my interruption papers, my procedure that April.

Is there anything else he can show? Anybody else that can support the application? Should he tell the new uni what he's doing?

Any advice appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending