The Student Room Group

learning to play piano

So ive been wanting a piano for soo long, just recently got one, but i dont know how to play it. Anyone got any advice on how i can start learning to play piano. :smile:
Reply 1
Get a teacher
Reply 2
Get a teacher, learn how to play scales and chords, start with easy pieces and work your way up.
Original post by yurgirln33s
So ive been wanting a piano for soo long, just recently got one, but i dont know how to play it. Anyone got any advice on how i can start learning to play piano. :smile:

Original post by Sinnoh
Get a teacher, learn how to play scales and chords, start with easy pieces and work your way up.

can i learn without a teacher, like a website or something. ?

Get a teacher. It's really just a bad idea to try learning from you tube or an app. You'll learn the technique poorly and there will be no progression to your study unless you get an actual textbook (but even then you won't know how quickly you should progress through the text book and you won't know when you're making mistakes so you won't be able to fix them). It might be expensive to get a teacher but it's honestly so worth it.
Reply 5
can i learn without a teacher, like a website or something. ?

You wouldn't be able to get any decent feedback like you could with a teacher
i messed around on piano for a few years with apps and stuff but once i got a teacher i improved so quickly and am already working at grade 5 standard. teachers work better and you’ll have an incentive to practice more

Hello! Grade 4 pianist here :smile:
I agree with everyone else that a teacher is definitely the best way. However of course it can be a lot of money. I would suggest finding resources that teach you from the ground-up. I used the "Me and My Piano" books with my teacher - they're designed for young kids but it just helps you build a strong foundation for learning. Learn how to read sheet music to a basic level. The problem with self-teaching is your theory can become weak, and that can affect the general understanding. Look up scales and learn all the major ones for white notes off by heart, then the black notes, then minor scales etc. Don't overcomplicate things, but having a strong knowledge of scales will help your understanding of music especially when you start looking at things like keys later on. Do them hands seperately and then together, try them contrary motion and basically just get used to playing the piano and the feeling of it. Then start on very small songs (preferably something you know). It's best to use sheet music for it, and use a video to assist you - copying directly from videos means note length + dynamics can sometimes be lost.
Main thing - PRACTICE. Even just a tiny bit a day, even if it's something easy, stretch yourself slowly over time. And don't ever neglect theory work!!
Learning music was the best decision I ever made and I have no idea where or who I would be without it. Good luck and enjoy yourself! xx
Original post by GhostMonument54
Hello! Grade 4 pianist here :smile:
I agree with everyone else that a teacher is definitely the best way. However of course it can be a lot of money. I would suggest finding resources that teach you from the ground-up. I used the "Me and My Piano" books with my teacher - they're designed for young kids but it just helps you build a strong foundation for learning. Learn how to read sheet music to a basic level. The problem with self-teaching is your theory can become weak, and that can affect the general understanding. Look up scales and learn all the major ones for white notes off by heart, then the black notes, then minor scales etc. Don't overcomplicate things, but having a strong knowledge of scales will help your understanding of music especially when you start looking at things like keys later on. Do them hands seperately and then together, try them contrary motion and basically just get used to playing the piano and the feeling of it. Then start on very small songs (preferably something you know). It's best to use sheet music for it, and use a video to assist you - copying directly from videos means note length + dynamics can sometimes be lost.
Main thing - PRACTICE. Even just a tiny bit a day, even if it's something easy, stretch yourself slowly over time. And don't ever neglect theory work!!
Learning music was the best decision I ever made and I have no idea where or who I would be without it. Good luck and enjoy yourself! xx

Thank youu sooo much, i was completely lost, until now. didn't know where to start, i appreciate ur advice.. x
out of interest, when did u start learning to play the piano, and how old r u now?

Youtube? I do MIDI keyboards so IDK..

Find a teacher who is able to teach to play. What did you expect as an advice? you can't learn this by yourself, unless you are very, very talented.

Quick Reply

Latest