dreamer1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently deciding whether or not to do an MSc in Economics so I had some questions and was hoping someone could answer them. A bit of background about me, I'm about to start third year of BSc Economics at a RG University in London.

1. Is there any point of me doing a masters if I don't think it will benefit me career-wise and I only wanted to do it because I genuinely enjoy the subject?
2. Where should I even apply? Realistically, where can I get into?
3. How does funding even work for postgraduate degrees?
4. How does applying for masters work? I've heard that there's less emphasis on personal statement and more on references, and for some universities you need to submit a CV but how is an academic CV different from a regular one.
5. Is it best if I apply for graduate schemes alongside the degrees? (I wasn't able to secure an internship this year so someone suggested that I apply for internships instead).

If anyone needs more details then leave a comment and I'll reply. Thanks a lot in advance!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by dreamer1998)
I'm currently deciding whether or not to do an MSc in Economics so I had some questions and was hoping someone could answer them. A bit of background about me, I'm about to start third year of BSc Economics at a RG University in London.

1. Is there any point of me doing a masters if I don't think it will benefit me career-wise and I only wanted to do it because I genuinely enjoy the subject?
2. Where should I even apply? Realistically, where can I get into?
3. How does funding even work for postgraduate degrees?
4. How does applying for masters work? I've heard that there's less emphasis on personal statement and more on references, and for some universities you need to submit a CV but how is an academic CV different from a regular one.
5. Is it best if I apply for graduate schemes alongside the degrees? (I wasn't able to secure an internship this year so someone suggested that I apply for internships instead).

If anyone needs more details then leave a comment and I'll reply. Thanks a lot in advance!
A lot of this can be answered by doing a bit of research (and no asking people on the internet is not doing research!). There's nothing wrong with doing a course because you simply enjoy the subject but it may be worth considering whether or not it's the right time financially and career wise. And unis will look at both your PS/CV and references. It does help to have backup options so applying for jobs/grad schemes helps.
dreamer1998
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
A lot of this can be answered by doing a bit of research (and no asking people on the internet is not doing research!). There's nothing wrong with doing a course because you simply enjoy the subject but it may be worth considering whether or not it's the right time financially and career wise. And unis will look at both your PS/CV and references. It does help to have backup options so applying for jobs/grad schemes helps.
Firstly, thank you for your reply. I actually have done a lot of research without asking on the internet but a lot of it has confused me. It's kind of why I was hoping someone who's been through the actual process of applying to do a masters in economics would answer letting me know how easy/difficult it is to get into various universities and whether it's actually worth it.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Firstly, thank you for your reply. I actually have done a lot of research without asking on the internet but a lot of it has confused me. It's kind of why I was hoping someone who's been through the actual process of applying to do a masters in economics would answer letting me know how easy/difficult it is to get into various universities and whether it's actually worth it.
Each uni has their entry requirements on their website along with their application process. Looking through the SFE webpages should give you info about how postgrad funding works. Not sure why finding this info would be difficult?
dreamer1998
Rep:
?
Each uni has their entry requirements on their website along with their application process. Looking through the SFE webpages should give you info about how postgrad funding works. Not sure why finding this info would be difficult?
Yes, I know that but I wanted a personal perspective from someone who's actually been through the process who can give tips on the CV and personal statement for the individual universities since they're all different. I know that most uni's will require a 2.1 or a First. As for the tuition loans, I've seen that it only goes up to around £10,000 max, but since some of the universities I want to apply to are almost three times that for tuition fees, where does the rest of the money come from?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, I know that but I wanted a personal perspective from someone who's actually been through the process who can give tips on the CV and personal statement for the individual universities since they're all different. I know that most uni's will require a 2.1 or a First. As for the tuition loans, I've seen that it only goes up to around £10,000 max, but since some of the universities I want to apply to are almost three times that for tuition fees, where does the rest of the money come from?
Yes they are all different and till you've narrowed it down to which uni how is someone supposed to give you any tips? Generally you want to talk about why you want to do the course, your skills and qualifications, your academic interests, career goals and how the course fits with them.

People fund masters courses through savings or SFE but again you need to check your eligibility with SFE. There are postgrad loans but I'm not sure how common they are any more (used to be big a few years ago).
dreamer1998
Rep:
?
Yes they are all different and till you've narrowed it down to which uni how is someone supposed to give you any tips? Generally you want to talk about why you want to do the course, your skills and qualifications, your academic interests, career goals and how the course fits with them.

People fund masters courses through savings or SFE but again you need to check your eligibility with SFE. There are postgrad loans but I'm not sure how common they are any more (used to be big a few years ago).
Well I obviously won't only be applying to one university. Probably quite a few and it's quite obvious that I would ideally want to go to a reasonable university since I study at a RG university now.

I guess savings wouldn't be that big of an issue if it's on top of the loan from SFE. But if SFE loans are paid every semester it's not really the same thing then.

Thanks for your replies anyway but I think I'll wait for someone else to help.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well I obviously won't only be applying to one university. Probably quite a few and it's quite obvious that I would ideally want to go to a reasonable university since I study at a RG university now.

I guess savings wouldn't be that big of an issue if it's on top of the loan from SFE. But if SFE loans are paid every semester it's not really the same thing then.

Thanks for your replies anyway but I think I'll wait for someone else to help.
No worries though you may struggle without more specific info about what research you have done and where you are stuck. Good luck!
Last edited by alleycat393; 2 weeks ago
dreamer1998
Rep:
?
No worries though you may struggle without more specific info about what research you have done and where you are stuck. Good luck!
Thanks again, I guess I'll make another thread in a couple days time when I've thought things through. But I'll still wait on this one.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks again, I guess I'll make another thread in a couple days time when I've thought things through. But I'll still wait on this one.
Please don’t create additional threads about the same thing as that’s against the rules!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate