The Student Room Group

Is further maths a level a mistake?

hi thanks for reading i’m stuck on a level courses.
i definitely want to do maths and chemistry, would you recommend doing further mathsor geography as a third or doing both further maths and geography and then dropping one?
thank youu

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes its a mistake don't do it
what do you want to do at uni?
i’m thinking maybe maths with chemistry or something like that
Is there any unis you have in mind? Even if you don’t you can still look at courses on uni websites and look at the requirements or what they feel boosts your chance of getting on the course
I have seen some unis say you could be more likely to get on a course to do with maths if you did further maths
Original post by ellenclarinet
i’m thinking maybe maths with chemistry or something like that

wth is maths with chemistry? no such thing exists
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES

If you google it quite a few unis do

sorry i haven’t really looked into it but something along the lines of maths/chemistry i’m undecided
Original post by stenamb5
Is there any unis you have in mind? Even if you don’t you can still look at courses on uni websites and look at the requirements or what they feel boosts your chance of getting on the course
I have seen some unis say you could be more likely to get on a course to do with maths if you did further maths

thank you i’ll look into it
they're the exact 4 a-levels i'm starting with on thursday!
Original post by stenamb5
If you google it quite a few unis do

I just looked and they do exist
sorry i haven’t really looked into it but something along the lines of maths/chemistry i’m undecided

Generally, a degree in chemistry will already have lots of maths and physics involved, including pure maths modules. So chemistry at uni is probably quite different from a level chemistry.

The general entry requirements for a chemistry degree are A levels in chemistry, another science (e.g. bio, phys or maths), and another subject of your choosing. So further maths would be an overkill, and unnecessary.
so if i were to look at a chemistry course, would you recommend maths chemistry and physics?
Original post by laurawatt
they're the exact 4 a-levels i'm starting with on thursday!

wow let me know how it goes!
wow let me know how it goes!

will do!
are you going into y12 or y11? :smile:
will do!
are you going into y12 or y11? :smile:

year 11 just thinking about 6th form
year 11 just thinking about 6th form

cool :smile:
so if i were to look at a chemistry course, would you recommend maths chemistry and physics?

I actually did all 3 of those, physics is hard ngl, im resitting it next year. you should probably stick with geography
cool :smile:

good luck for thursday though :smile:
I actually did all 3 of those, physics is hard ngl, im resitting it next year. you should probably stick with geography

hm ok
so maybe maths, chemistry, and geography and maybe an as in further maths?
hi thanks for reading i’m stuck on a level courses.
i definitely want to do maths and chemistry, would you recommend doing further mathsor geography as a third or doing both further maths and geography and then dropping one?
thank youu

Usually, in my school we do 3 normal subjects and further maths as an additional A Level as most top uni's don't count further maths as a 3rd, a level, but as a 4th additional one. If you're set on doing only 3 subjects, take geography. Depending on what uni you intend to get into, and what career you wish to pursue in the future, your choices should vary. For example, if you want to do Finance or Economics, I would strongly recommend further maths as a 4th A Level if you are confident on the getting at least 3 A's if you intend to go to a uni like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest