charasmatica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so i was wondering if i can do an undergraduate biological degree and then a postgraduate veterinary medicine degree after.

undergraduate biological degree >>> veterinary medicine degree
around 4 years 5 years

the main reason is because i don't have the exact requirements to do veterinary medicine directly i'm off by a tiny bit.

also is there a problem with funding and tuition if i choose to go down this route?

do i have to pay out of my own pocket besides from the university loan i will already have from my other degree.

my ultimate end goal is to become a veterinary surgeon!
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charasmatica)
so i was wondering if i can do an undergraduate biological degree and then a postgraduate veterinary medicine degree after.

around 4 years 5 years

the main reason is because i don't have the exact requirements to do veterinary medicine directly i'm off by a tiny bit.

also is there a problem with funding and tuition if i choose to go down this route?

do i have to pay out of my own pocket besides from the university loan i will already have from my other degree.

Hi. What I believe you're referring to is Graduate Entry Veterinary Medicine. This is not "post-grad" per se, it's still an undergraduate Bachelor's degree but some vet schools offer a fast track 4 year programme. It's very competitive, and yes, you will have to fund it yourself in full including tuition as it will count as your 2nd undergrad degree.

Apart from the Grad Entry programmes you might be eligible to apply for standard 5 year veterinary courses, but again you would have to fund these years yourself. It is a possible, but not easy or common route. Research "graduate entry veterinary medicine" or "veterinary medicine with a degree" and you will be able to find some more info. Good luck on your journey
animalmagic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charasmatica)

around 4 years 5 years

If you don't meet the requirements for entry the best advice would be to re-sit your exams so you do meet the requirements rather than doing a different degree first as the post grad route is even more competitive and the financial cost is often prohibitive.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have a look at vet earnings before you spend all the money - Start on £25K, not many on more than £40k. Earn double or triple as a GP or consultant.
animalmagic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Apachecow)
Have a look at vet earnings before you spend all the money - Start on £25K, not many on more than £40k. Earn double or triple as a GP or consultant.
Starting salary is usually higher than £25k, plenty earn more than £40k. A lot of the stats out there are wrong as they don’t take into account the number that choose to work part time. Own your own business if you want to and have the potential for earning more than a GP or consultant. Having said that do not do vet med for the money, there are many easier ways to earn a living.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.1%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.32%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.33%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.1%
Financial worries (62)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.22%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.21%

Watched Threads