Looking Forward with Hope Watch

hope2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Looking Forward with Hope

Hi guys I'm Hope. I'm an aspiring medic:nurse: and hope that with my consistent hard work i will be able to fulfil my dreams and make myself proud.

I did a GYG blog for my GCSE called 'Hope For the Future' and found that it worked really well in holding me accountable for my work so that i remained consistent. I tried to do another GYG last year but stopped due to my low mental health. After taking the year to grow and reflect on what got me to such a low point, I want to use this blog this year to not only grow my grades but to also grow as a person and make sure that i don't let myself get back to that dark place i was in last year. It will be a struggle but i hope you enjoy the ride with me. That's also why i'm not calling this Hope for the Future part 3: It's a new chapter for me.

I did Further Maths in Y12 to help me get a head with my Maths this year because we were forced to do 4 A levels in Y12 then we had the option to drop a subjects after our mocks. My A-levels are linear so it didn't count towards any thing.

Y12 Mocks:
Spoiler:
Show
CIEBiology: B
OCRChemistry: B
MEIMaths: A*
MEIFurther Maths: C ( didn't revise at all so was very shocked, thought I wld fail)

Predicted Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

CIEBiology: A
OCRChemistry: A

Grades I'm determined to get:
Spoiler:
Show
CIEBiology: A*
OCRChemistry: A*

UCAT Score:
Spoiler:
Show

VR: 660
DM: 710
QR: 800
AR: 870
Overall: 3040
Average: 760
SJT: Band 1

I was over the moon with these results. I was not expecting them at all. They were better than I even hoped. I did the medic portal and the kaplan course (i think the medic portal was worth more cuz we did the same stuff as kaplan in more detail in 1 day instead of 2) and then used medify for the month/3 week before hand. I did about 3 hours of medify a day which in hindsight is way over board especially cuz i was in Greece for 2 of those weeks. There's a lot of luck tbh.

I'm going to be doing the BMAT on 30th October.

Where I am applying:

Spoiler:
Show
BMATImperial (top choice)
UCATBirmingham
UCATManchester
UCATKing's

Birmingham for Biomed as well
Last edited by hope2002; 4 weeks ago
hope2002
Rep:
?
3rd September 2019:

Today was my second day back at school but my first proper day with lessons because yesterday we had an all school assembly periods 1&2, house singing rehearsals periods 3&4 then lessons periods 5&6. I had double chem which was chill cuz we were eased into it.

School:

Spoiler:
Show
Before school: Had a meeting about being a Y7 & 8 Prefect so from now on I have to be at school by 8:15am and not 8:30am.

Periods 1 & 2:
I had a double free and wasn't sure what to do so I read a bunch of medical personal statements on here and got bored out of my mind.

Period 3:
I had a bio and we recapped mitosis.

Period 4:
We were supposed to have PSHE about UCAS and send our form tutor our university list on unifrog but we had school photos halfway through and after that finished we went to lunch ( I had to wait to go to a 10 min med soc meeting).

Period 5:
Maths on functions. I hated this topic in further cuz we spent 1 lesson on it, now we're gonna spend like a week on it and i already understand it a bit more.

Period 6:
Stats on probability distribution. My FM stats teacher is my single pure and stats teacher so I've literally already done this lesson w her.

After school:

Spoiler:
Show
I was supposed to do my Period 5 hw and sort out my folders cuz my carpet is covered in paperwork from last year but i got home and ended up on ft w my family friend about friend doubts i've been having at school and then we got speaking about her home life then my mum walked in a started trying to manipulate her about her home life (she's 14).

So that preoccupied most of my night cuz then i got lost in my thoughts while watching Skins (Gen 3 is the worst btw). Before I knew it, it was dinner and now it's 11pm. I also set this up because I remembered how much this motivated me in Y11.

Tomorrow I'm doing the medic portal BMAT course at school. I'm also going to start the 2-Day Rule to help maintain consistency w this and hw cuz I'm gonna have a lot fo catch up tomorrow.

I also haven't started my personal statement yet, and it's due on 23rd September for me.

Let me know if you would like me to tag u x
Last edited by hope2002; 2 months ago
hope2002
Rep:
?
4th September 2019

Today I had The Medic Portal BMAT course at school. I found it quite good to kickstart my revision. I did the same w my UCAT so hopefully it'll work again.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna start revising cuz I'm struggling to do the bare minimum at school at the moment. I managed to do my maths hw today:rave:. I took me 1h 20 mins to do a really simple hw on functions (simple cuz I did it last year) cuz I was watching youtube at the same time. I also did a bit of my bio catch up at lunch and I'm gonna finish it off tmrw during my double free. Apparently my maths teacher (the one that I didn't have last year) sets hw every lesson so if i get that homework as well then I'll do it during my free.

My BMAT course finished at 4pm and then we had house singing rehearsals til 5pm. Ngl i feel like I'm being a ***** to some of the new girls in the year below, cuz they r just not singing and if they don't sing then that whole section cannot be heard and the song sounds so bad. I'm gonna try be nicer tho.

Not to be grim but I was supposed to have a shower when I got home and that didn't happen so now I have to wait til Friday morning cuz ~superstition~.

Tmrw will be more structured cuz I acc have lessons.

Let me know if you'd like to be tagged or untagged x

mez_merising entertainmyfaith nyxnko_ Toastiekid
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
keep me tagged well done on your ucat scores they're amazing!!
i hope you manage to sort out all the work you have to do, it's always difficult in the beginning of the year
muskaan16arora
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey when do you suggest to complete the official mocks and question banks for ucat
hope2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
keep me tagged well done on your ucat scores they're amazing!!
i hope you manage to sort out all the work you have to do, it's always difficult in the beginning of the year
Thank you!! Please tag me in your GYG x
hope2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by muskaan16arora)
hey when do you suggest to complete the official mocks and question banks for ucat
I honestly didn't really use the official material that much because ppl who did it before me told me that it wasn't very representative. I did a QR question bank and 1/2 official mocks. I found the official mocks wayyyy harder than the real thing and the format was acc v different. i.e. in Mock A the QR section had more text than the VR section but it's not like that in the real thing.

I'd say about a week or so before do question banks on ur worst 1/2 sections, for the practice, and then maybe a mock. cuz you don't wanna freak yourself out. If you have medify then I defo recommend doing mock 7 & 8 the day before.

Also don't forget it's luck on the day and making sure you don't get in your own head.

Good luck
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Good luck and please keep me tagged! :rave:
muskaan16arora
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you so much !! just worried for QR and DM best of luck for your studies ❤️
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
did the school pay for your bmat course?
hope2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Good luck and please keep me tagged! :rave:
will do x
hope2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by muskaan16arora)
thank you so much !! just worried for QR and DM best of luck for your studies ❤️
no worries Good luck
hope2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
did the school pay for your bmat course?
nope, you acc just reminded me that I need to take check into school to pay for the course:blushing:
hope2002
Rep:
?
8th September 2019

I kinda already broke the 2 day rule cuz I didn't post on Thursday and was planning to post my Thursday stuff when I got home on Friday, but ended up spending all my time at home on Friday getting ready for my friends 18th, so I was only home for 2 hours lol. So i'm restarting the 2-Day rule lol.

Just generally: I spent my double frees on thursday doing my chem hws and then on friday spent my first free kinda day dreaming while trying to finish off my chem hw and then my second free talking with my school welfare officer- something i've been ding regularly since about feb which was my mental health low.

I didn't do any work on saturday cuz I woke up at like 1:30 pm and then didn't get out of bed til 3pm. I was kinda hungover but like not really. My 'hangover's' are basically just my brain gets really foggy and I can't think straight i.e do work. which is also what happens to me the day after I get a migraine. I had like 5 shots and then sips of my friends G&T's cuz I'm not 18 and I don't have a fake ID (and I only have like 6 months til I'm 18 anyway so there's no point in getting one now) meaning I cldn't buy my own drinks at the bar (even though one of the bar tenders REALLLLY wanted to serve me lol) so my friend and I went to a corner shop on the way and she bought a small bottle of vodka cuz she has a photoshopped passport. I lowkey feel like I shldn't be putting this on here so I'm going to stop now. Anyway, my zip card holder w my provisional license and money went missing and I'm hoping it fell into someone's bag. It was on a hanger w my fleece on the coatrack above a bunch of bags adn the zip was open but I think it was cuz I was keeping the bottle of vodka in hat bag so my friend might've opened the wrong zip and not closed it. So hopefully it wasn't stolen cuz I haven't cancelled my zip card yet, but no one has texted me about finding it so I'm hoping someone just hands it to me tmrw in skl. Got a bit Sidetracked there, but basically I didn't do any work on Saturday cuz I was awake for like 8 hours.

Today:

Spoiler:
Show
Started working quite late like 7pm? cuz I was watching skins
Did my bio catch up noted from Wednesday
Did my physical chemistry notes
Finished off my chem hw
Did a functions transformations sheet
(BIGGEST MIND**** EVER)
and then did my wednesday catch up maths hw (more like copied cuz my teacher accidentally emailed e the answers and it's 1am rn so obvs I'm not gonna do it, this teacher also set 4 maths hw's last week (still have to do 2 due tmrw but one was one I got in fmaths last year so i'll just do it in my frees tmrw) and I only had 3 lessons w her, wtf)

entertainmyfaith nyxnko_ laurawatt Toastiekid mez_merising Letsgetmade

Let me know if you like to be tagged or untagged x
Last edited by hope2002; 2 months ago
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
aw no I hope you find your stuff soon!
hope2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Tuesday 8th October 2019:

The Gist: Sorry it's been a month with no update:cry2:. It's honestly been a blur and there's not much I remember tbh. There was house singing, a zoo trip:rave: a couple tests and just school I guess. Ik I've said it loads but I acc intend on using this daily to track my productivity. That's acc why I came back today- I had a good day. It may not sound like it from my productivity at home but trust me, it's an improvement.

A HUGE thing which I completely forgot about is that I submitted my UCAS and am now logged onto Track:bigsmile:. Doesn't feel real tbh.

School: In bio i decided to listen more instead of take notes. This worked quite well in P1 cuz I managed to answer Q's well and understand them but at some point in P2 I spaced out and got really lost. In my P3&P4 frees I wrote up my P2 notes and tried to revise photosynthesis and translocation cuz I have a test on that next week and I did some Q's today. P5 I got my transition metals test back from yesterday and I GOT 90%.:daydreaming: I was shocked. THat's the best I've done in a school test since GCSEs. So I was really proud of that. Then P6 I was told my work was good.

Home:

Spoiler:
Show
4:45-5 Bio revision
5:05-6:10 Bio Q's I got 15/15 in 1Q and 12/15 in another
9:20-9:50 Hydrolysis of esters notes for my carboxylic acids test tomorrow
10:30-10:50 tried to do BMAT physics revision but wasn't happening:no:
10:50-11:20 Switched to BMAT maths Q's instead, marked them and got 9/11
11:55-12:05 Created a Cambridge account so that I can access the BMAT section 2 notes also did a bit of research and am not too sure whether I shld do a Kaplan BMAT course this weekend cuz it's 3 weeks til the exam but then again what do I have to lose, eventhough I did the Medic Portal one at school about a month ago. Also I'm scared I'm gonna end up like this girl Ik. She's in the year above and got into all her places but missed the grades so I think she couldn't do medicine, but I'm not sure cuz I haven't heard from her in a while and she was gettinga paper remarked.

Help: I got invited to and 18th on the 18th october andI'm not sure if I shld go cuz I want to but I also don't want to risk not doing well in my BMAT and it's about 2 weeks before It's on the last day of half term so I cld come home and study then go. I wldn't stay too late or drink(obvs) but I'm still not sure. If you have any thoughts please let me know cuz I'm so torn rn.:nooo:

Mk I should go to bed cuz I have an MRI tomorrow at 8:45 and it's 12:40 rn. Contemplating staying up to make my carboxylic acids quizlet. U know what I'm gonna do it. I only have 2 lessons tommorw and 1 of them is a test so I can just sleep through sport.:sleep:

entertainmyfaith nyxnko_ laurawatt Toastiekid mez_merising Letsgetmade

Let me know if you like to be tagged or untagged x
QueenAelin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I'd loved to be tagged! And good luck with your MRI & test tomorrow!
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please make sure that you get enough sleep :hugs:
Best of luck for the MRI
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Congrats on submitting UCAS :woo:
Hope the MRI test went well!
hope2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Wednesday 9th October 2019:

MRI: I woke up late so I got there late:dong: The cannula was more painful than normal and I actually have a phat bruise developing there:lolwut: The doctor couldn't find my vein. I almost fell asleep in the MRI and properly would've if I didn't have to hold my breath at certain point. Booked the Kaplan BMAT course:poke: on the way to the MRI, and started making my carboxylic acids quizlet cuz I went to bed after posting last night.

School:

Got in for P3 I had physical chemistry so I started the experiment for proving esterification of an equilibrium reaction. Also spent a bit of time looking at the Nobel Chemistry Prize announced during our lesson. Our teachers took a picture of my class holding our phones up because the prize was for lithium ion batteries which are in our phones as well. That photo is now on the school twitter, facebook and instagram page so that's fun:party:P4 I had the carboxylic acids test and it was actually ok:awesome: It might've helped that I already knew what the last question was:borat: I've also gotten into this really bad habit of checking my answers w the girl next to me which gives me great test results but not good for my learning in the long term.P5 & P6 I had sport which is basketball fro me. The girl I normally do it w wasn't in today so it was only me and a Y12 girl with 20 boys which was great:shifty: (mainly Y11's that r v immature) The Y12 girl is really sweet tho.

Also I found out that I have a mock interview tomorrow, about my personal statement:bawling:Intially I didn't want to do it cuz I wanted to revsie BMAT , but if we're being realistic, the mock interview is a more producrive use of my time and i'll probs get more BMAT done if I go. A bit stressed cuz I haven't read the books I've put in my personal statement but it's ok cuz ik the teacehr interviewing me sooooooooo well. Like he was my forms Y9 & Y10 form teacher and it was his first year at my school and just teaching in general so we kinda shaped him. We have his birth certificate and his girlfriends number and everything. For a while I thought he was scared of us:ninja: but now it's fine cuz he has authority and turns out he's actually a really good teacher cuz he's also in charge of Med Soc.

Home:

Spoiler:
Show
7:30-8:30 Dinner
Revision8:30-9:00 Finished carboxylic acid quizlet that I started on my way to my MRI and emailed my personal statement to my teacher for the mock interview tomorrow. (Safari refuses to work)
BMAT9:45-10:45 21 Problem Solving Q's(15/21)
BMAT10:45-11:00 5 Maths Q's (5/5) and 5 Physics Q's (3/5)

QOTD: Is anyone watching the Apprentice?

Tags: let me know if you'd like to be added or removed x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (243)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.67%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.44%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.33%