0%
Clare (1)
14.29%
Outlooker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m struggling to chose a college. I was originally going with Queens’ but I’m worried it’s too expensive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which college I should choose from my shortlist?

Kitchen facilities are important to me, and I'm applying for mathematics.

Thanks.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Queens? Is this the London uni?
Outlooker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Sorry, no. I meant the cambridge college; this post contains a poll with my shortlist, but it appears not everybody can see it.

My short list of cam colleges is as follows:

Queens
Emmanuel
Jesus
Pembroke
Christ
Magdalene
Clare
Anon0601
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What do you mean by 'too expensive'. Most colleges have a range of prices for their rooms. Are you saying Queens is more expensive than other colleges you have looked at? If money really is that tight you could be entitled to a bursary. Worth checking with the colleges.
ACherry
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Clare is very highly rated - a lot of my friends are applying there. Great and cheap bar (one of the best in Cambridge), nice accomodation, good year size, good facilities - really not many downsides at all.
Myboy66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How about Caius College?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Outlooker)
I’m struggling to chose a college. I was originally going with Queens’ but I’m worried it’s too expensive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which college I should choose from my shortlist?

Thanks.
I wouldn't stress too much about this. Don't forget there's a roughly 20% any offer will be from a different college anyway
ACherry
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the important thing is to know that (nearly everyone) likes their own college - I have a list of about a dozen that I would LOVE to go to, so you shouldn't get *too* obsessed with a particular one, but obviously, the vast majority of applicants do actually pick a college, so it's find to have a favourite.
R T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Outlooker)

Thanks.
If Kitchen facilities and price are important, then John's is probably the best college.

John's gives out by far the most money to its students in the forms of awards, scholarships and grants. John's heavily subsidises a number of things, but most notably accommodation, food (including formal meals) and the bar. John's also has a pretty strong history and presence in Maths.

Having studied there (john's) and seen some students struggle with money (including a friend whose dad get injured and lost his job) - I can 100% guarantee you that the mantra of the college is "money will never impede your studies". I don't know how hard your money situation is, but I know a lot of poorer students do pick John's because of the bursary and scholarship schemes. I also know that John's has a specific Maths award as a 1-off for freshers (it is a few thousand iirc, and most likely is determined by the best STEP result).

To pick one from your original list; probably Clare. The bar there is quite nice. I don't know too many details on how expensive being there for 3 years would be though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (207)
23.58%
Pop (218)
24.83%
Jazz (33)
3.76%
Classical (49)
5.58%
Hip-Hop (168)
19.13%