romelia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! I was wondering if there are any other people who have decided to apply for Japanese this year (for 2020 entry I suppose) and which universities they're looking at? Just because it's a pretty 'niche' subject so it would be nice to find others who are looking to study the same thing! Anyone who's looking to apply for other EA languages is also welcome
Last edited by romelia; 4 weeks ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by romelia)
Hi! I was wondering if there are any other people who have decided to apply for Japanese this year (for 2020 entry I suppose) and which universities they're looking at? Just because it's a pretty 'niche' subject so it would be nice to find others who are looking to study the same thing! Anyone who's looking to apply for other EA languages is also welcome
Hey there! I studied Japanese at Edinburgh. Are you thinking of applying there? :rambo:
romelia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Hey there! I studied Japanese at Edinburgh. Are you thinking of applying there? :rambo:
Hi! In fact, I have visited Edinburgh earlier this year and I fell in love with the city, so I am applying there! The other places I'm looking at are oxford, durham, sheffield and manchester. How was your experience??
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! In fact, I have visited Edinburgh earlier this year and I fell in love with the city, so I am applying there! The other places I'm looking at are oxford, durham, sheffield and manchester. How was your experience??
Apologies for not getting back to you. Have been extremely busy as of late. I'll try my best to respond to you within a few days. :rambo:
super_kawaii
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I studied at Sheffield (did Chinese Studies with Japanese) so feel free to probe me with questions about studying East Asian languages at Sheffield
romelia
Rep:
?
(Original post by super_kawaii)
Hey, I studied at Sheffield (did Chinese Studies with Japanese) so feel free to probe me with questions about studying East Asian languages at Sheffield
Thank you for the response! I don't really have specific questions right now but could you tell me a bit about your course and what you did each year? also how did you find the professors and just studying at your uni in general?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Edinburgh's a great city and the course is very good as well! That said, my gripe would be that the university hardly offers any joint courses alongside Japanese. It's pretty limited!
super_kawaii
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for the response! I don't really have specific questions right now but could you tell me a bit about your course and what you did each year? also how did you find the professors and just studying at your uni in general?
Hey, sorry for the late reply-been quite busy with work!

I majored in Chinese and did Japanese as a minor. In first year I did all language modules, before going on my year abroad in Nanjing in second year. In third and fourth year I did do cultural modules and looked at Modern Chinese History, International Relations in East Asia, Contemporary Chinese Society, and Japanese Popular Culture. Being on a joint honours course, it wasn't compulsory for me to do a dissertation in 4th year, although if I'd done one, I would have done it on education and mental health in China. However I know that they've recently changed the syllabus so that everyone studies culture modules in every year they're in Sheffield.

For Japanese Studies you'll go abroad in 3rd year and be allocated to one of our many partner unis in Japan.

Personally I loved studying in Sheffield. The uni is really good for East Asian languages-for Japanese Studies you'll be expected to be JLPT N1 by the time you graduate. The lecturers are really good at teaching you everything, but at the same time are super chill and approachable.

Sheffield's also a great city to live in. Plenty of nightlife, culture, things to do, places to eat! Any questions you have, please PM me
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Good luck!

:woo: For other applicant threads, please check this big list HERE! :woo:

Puddles the Monkey 04MR17
Flameboi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I've applied to Japanese at Oxford, Durham, Manchester, Leeds and SOAS (with English). Nice to find someone else applying for it!
Gucheng
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flameboi)
Well I've applied to Japanese at Oxford, Durham, Manchester, Leeds and SOAS (with English). Nice to find someone else applying for it!
I've also applied to Durham. Have you received an email from Durham that they let you to complete a Subject Choice Selection Form in five days after you receive that email? I found that on that website page the option for all four subject choices is only "select a subject". Have you met that circumstance?
Eiluned
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gucheng)
I've also applied to Durham. Have you received an email from Durham that they let you to complete a Subject Choice Selection Form in five days after you receive that email? I found that on that website page the option for all four subject choices is only "select a subject". Have you met that circumstance?
I applied to Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham, Manchester and Leeds.
I received that same email last Friday, I'm really confused about what to input, I've sent an enquiry but I doubt they'll get back to me before the 5 days are up, I may give the Uni a call later today if I've had no reply before then.
Flameboi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I have! It's so weird I put in an enquiry, they still haven't responded so idk. I got an offer from them yesterday but this thing is still stressing me out; I think I'll call and ask
Eiluned
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I have! It's so weird I put in an enquiry, they still haven't responded so idk. I got an offer from them yesterday but this thing is still stressing me out; I think I'll call and ask
Do you know what number you're going to call? Would it just be the main university number or is there a special one for admissions? I sent an enquiry to them on the 19th and havent recieved a reply from them either >.<
Flameboi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Eiluned)
Do you know what number you're going to call? Would it just be the main university number or is there a special one for admissions? I sent an enquiry to them on the 19th and havent recieved a reply from them either >.<
So I called them and they said it's an error and to ignore the form because it doesn't apply for Japanese studies haha so don't worry about it
Eiluned
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I called them and they said it's an error and to ignore the form because it doesn't apply for Japanese studies haha so don't worry about it
Oh thank goodness! I'm so glad it's all sorted thanks for letting me know!
As soon as I read that I physically felt the weight lift off my shoulders hah!!
Gucheng
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for telling!!❤️ This form has tortured me for three days. ToT
romelia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
omg i forgot about this thread! i also applied to oxford, durham and leeds. which oxford college did you apply to?
romelia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Eiluned)
I applied to Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham, Manchester and Leeds.
I received that same email last Friday, I'm really confused about what to input, I've sent an enquiry but I doubt they'll get back to me before the 5 days are up, I may give the Uni a call later today if I've had no reply before then.
hi ! we applied to the same places except i chose sheffield instead of manchester. have you received any offers? and which oxford college did you pick?
Eiluned
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi ! we applied to the same places except i chose sheffield instead of manchester. have you received any offers? and which oxford college did you pick?
Hey!! So far I've only got an offer from Leeds, and an interview for Manchester next week (eep) Have you had any offers?
I applied to Pembroke college! I've not sent my written work off yet though, Ill be doing that tomorrow when my teachers have completed the cover sheet lmao. Which college did you apply for??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (11)
18.64%
Labour (29)
49.15%
Liberal Democrats (5)
8.47%
Green Party (5)
8.47%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
5.08%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (1)
1.69%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)