KJEKJE Says 'Life Starts With Student Debt!' Watch

KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Ohai! Welcome to my new GYG for the year!

The title sounds a little bleak, but my feelings say quite the contrary! I'm very much excited for what university life has to offer, and there's so much that I have yet to learn about the new adventure I will be taking. This thread is to help record my fleeting thoughts, experiences, and discoveries through my first year of Plymouth University. I hope to meet many new people, visit many new areas, and as always, find out a lot more about myself and what exactly I'm trying to achieve in life.

Hope you'll stick around for the long ride, but if not, thanks for stopping by!

[Will be updating a lot more of this over the next few days, so this is subject to change ^^]
Last edited by KJEKJE Says Hi; 3 months ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, best of luck this year! :rave: What are you reading at uni btw?
(moved to 2019/20 thread )
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Hi, best of luck this year! :rave: What are you reading at uni btw?
(moved to 2019/20 thread )
Thank you! I'll be studying Computing and Game Development Bsc
(Ah thanks! Was wondering if I got it in the right place ^^)
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Thank you! I'll be studying Computing and Game Development Bsc
(Ah thanks! Was wondering if I got it in the right place ^^)
That sounds amazing! :gah:
(No worries It's easy to get lost in TSR )
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
That sounds amazing! :gah:
(No worries It's easy to get lost in TSR )
Yup! I'm looking forward to it
Should be cool!
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
7/9/19:

Today, I will be doing my last bus hop in London (before I head off to uni). If you don't know from my previous GYG, then I liked to spend days travelling to different parts of London by bus. As my 16+ Oyster card is free on buses in the city, I use that mainly to draw and explore places I haven't been before. Perhaps I will share stories of my bus-hops one day.

There are few places I plan on going today, mainly my favourite places to go in Central London. I will likely update this as I go along since I want to make the most out of today, so if you're interested, stay tuned ^^
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hope you had fun on your bus hop :gah:
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Catching up from last week)

8/9/19:

We finally had time to visit my relatives down at East Grinstead. It's been something that the family has wanted to do for a very long time now (nearly two years wow), but whenever we were planning it, something else would come up and it would be postponed. There, I got to see my great grandad and tell him about what I'm going to be studying for the next few years. Knowing that he's watched me grow up over the years, it's great to see that he's really happy for me. The house itself doesn't seem to have changed much for two years ago, which is comforting. The computer room even looks the same as when we were last here.. brings back memories.

Had a really good time there, plus there was a plethora of food to feast on and have light conversation with ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Hey everyone!

I'll be sure to make a bigger post covering the whole of last week. May try updating these mainly on Sundays, and if I have other thoughts in my head at the time, then I'll drop them down here between them.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Hope you had fun on your bus hop :gah:
Yeah, it was a lot of fun actually!

Managed to travel around Chinatown and get my favourite pastries, went to Tate Britian and Modern to see what new artwork and sculptures were on (not much unfortunately, since they're prepping for next exhibition), went to that one Costa I always go to when I'm in Central London (it's just one of my favourites heh), travelled to Convent Garden and saw a guy juggling swords whilst balancing a spinning suitcase, and explored Tower Wharf and its upper street of art and design businesses. There was more, but those were the highlights ^^

All was done by one 16+ student card, many bus-hops, and me with headphones, sunglasses, and my trusty small backpack.

Going to miss using that Oyster card for free travel, but with the 16-25 railcard, perhaps I'll adventure further someday o.o
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Yeah, it was a lot of fun actually!

Managed to travel around Chinatown and get my favourite pastries, went to Tate Britian and Modern to see what new artwork and sculptures were on (not much unfortunately, since they're prepping for next exhibition), went to that one Costa I always go to when I'm in Central London (it's just one of my favourites heh), travelled to Convent Garden and saw a guy juggling swords whilst balancing a spinning suitcase, and explored Tower Wharf and its upper street of art and design businesses. There was more, but those were the highlights ^^

All was done by one 16+ student card, many bus-hops, and me with headphones, sunglasses, and my trusty small backpack.

Going to miss using that Oyster card for free travel, but with the 16-25 railcard, perhaps I'll adventure further someday o.o
Ooh, that all sounds amazing! :daydreaming: Glad you had fun :woo:
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Name:  Back into the swing of things.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  24.1 KB

Alrighty then, let's get this back up and running, shall we?

It's been around two months or so since my last post. Leaving this thread untouched for that length of time wasn't my intention, I assure you heh

Truth is, I've just been settling into uni, spending most of my time planning my next days and building new connections. It's been a lot of fun just bringing out the person I'd like to be, you know?

Here are some things I've been doing across those two months to get you up to speed, that way, I can just progress with this thread without having to go back over and over again:

So, how was Freshers?:
Spoiler:
Show
My first Fresher's Week was pretty cool! Met some of my coursemates for the first time, and we've got a solid friend group it seems. Also ate a LOT of pizza, but I'm not complaining

Despite me not drinking (caffeine is my buzz @[email protected]), the parties at the Student Union have been very enjoyable and I still got to meet a lot of new people. The music does get a little dull after a while, but I guess it's not totally my style of music .3.

If you want any juicy details of anything, 'fraid I don't have much to say for now. For me, it was just a great opportunity to see what goes on at the university and what events my student accommodation were doing. Can't say I'm disappointed with anything, as I was greeted to lots of food, tech goodies, and free drink vouchers!
*but I don't drink, so what do?*
I just offered mine to other students to help break the ice! Worked like a charm ^-^

Favourite thing about Plymouth so far?:
Spoiler:
Show
For me, it's how different it is to London. Living in the capital all my life, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when moving to Plymouth. I've been pleasantly surprised with the change of environment (it's a lot quieter here) and the change of scenery (there are so many places I haven't even known exist here). The weather gets crazy here from time to time, and that actually pretty cool.

Lastly, everyone here just feels 'friendlier'. It's a lot easier to start up a conversation with a stranger and ask about their day, and I seem to learn something new everyday. It's just nice to see! The thing is, London is HUGE compared to Plymouth, which has its own advantages (wider culture, bigger attractions, more business opportunities, etc.), but the vibe tends to feel too competitive in some areas. You don't talk with many strangers in London, and it feels rather cold at times.

Both cities have their strengths and weaknesses, but the contrasts between the two are certainly prevalent, and I absolutely love it.

Making a name for myself:
Spoiler:
Show
I've been trying very hard to go to business workshops and attend events in that industry, as I have an ambition to start a business of my own one day. Plymouth University has been excellent at promoting business events so far, and my course has a few modules related to business and leadership in the gaming industry, but that's not until placement and final year and I'm itching to try making a brand now!

I've been making a lot of artwork and music during my opening months in uni, refining my style and trying out new styles to expand my skills. I've also been updating my CV a good few times so that I can use it to get a part-time job. It's doable with my student finance to live comfortably, however, a part-time job will give me both newfound skills and extra pocket money to play around with.

Hopefully through this thread or another, my journey to that will be a helpful documentation of my discoveries and insights into the business side of the market.

My modules so far:
Spoiler:
Show
I have started my course (Computing and Games Development) with modules in Cybersecurity and Networks (SEC104), Software Engineering (SOFT152), and Introduction to Games Workshop (SOFT166). These are the modules which I will be doing for pretty much the whole semester.

- SEC104 has been pretty decent so far. Been learning a lot about the inner workings of the internet, communication devices and authentication methods. Though it's essentially one side to my course, it's still important to learn, so I'm naturally interested in the topic.

- SOFT152 is honestly my favourite module so far, as I've been learning a heck of a lot of new code. I am currently learning C# in this module, and getting to grips with the language is rather tricky. However, the challenge it brings really has my attention, and is the drive I'm looking for in the course.

- SOFT166 is a nice module. It gives an overall outlook of the gaming industry, introduces you to Unity game engine, and gives you the time to make your first game with it. Though I really like how the module is taught, I feel that at some points I'm left in the dark. Now, that's not necessarily the fault of the lecturers- in fact, they're always happy to answer questions if we're stuck on anything. Tbh, it's more because I'm slowly sorting out how I like to work. This will improve over time

My timetable doesn't have many contact hours compared to most, with the majority of my learning being independent study. This. for me, is actually quite welcome, since it helps me plan my days with flexibility if things go pear-shaped. Because of my timetable, however, I've found it at times difficult to find a delegated slot in my day to work on the game, but hopefully this TSR post will aid in building up a nicer and neater schedule to follow.

You see, despite my lack of posting on this thread, I'm still around the website every day. Therefore, it would make sense to start using this more often, no? The aim from now on is to make at least one little post every day here, in an attempt to see how I'm planning my time and how efficient or not my current working style is.

Now, to the mods or anyone else, a few questions regarding the direction of this 'GYG':

- Would this 'diary entry' style to my thread be better suited as a uni blog rather than a GYG blog?
- If so, how can I change that? Would I have to make a new one, or can I stem it from this thread as a continuation?
- Can I put any social media links on this thread (or another I may make) to showcase work I will be doing over my time at uni?
- Do you feel that my experiences in uni will benefit you or others in any way?
- How do I successfully tag people? (I don't do it often, and sometimes it doesn't work heh)
- Would you like to be tagged? :indiff:

For those who scrolled to the end, tl;dr: I've abandoned this thread for a while but want to start posting here again. Though it could have GYG elements to it, it'll more likely take the direction of a uni blog.

To all of you that have gotten to the end, thank you so much for reading! This alone has taken an hour and a half to write haha ^-^;

Take care!
Last edited by KJEKJE Says Hi; 3 weeks ago
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
18/11/19:

Today, I overslept a little for my lecture. It was talking about the Network Layer in computer systems. I got a fair amount of it, however I will definitely need to get further clarity on some areas in the lecture. Luckily, they provide podcasts from live lectures, so hopefully I can look at that in the next few days or so.

There was also a 'demo-or-die' session in SOFT166. I'll be honest, I didn't know that we were doing it today, considering that we had just finished covering the tutorial notes in Unity, so ultimately I didn't have much to show. What was surprising to see, however, was that I got some decent feedback from my peers. My game was playable, with some glitches here and there, so overall I'm quite happy with the result.

I feel that today's demo-or-die session wasn't as beneficial as I'd hoped, simply because I feel that it was too soon to run it. If we all had 2 weeks more or so, there could have been some really interesting and creative games being produced. At this time, though it was a test of our understanding of the tutorials, reviewing each other's work just seemed lacking and quite samey.

Ah well. Moving on. At least with the feedback I got, I can now build a better game. ^^

I have some coding to get done by Thursday, but I want to get it out of the way now so that I have time to ask any burning questions I have for my lecturer later in the week . After staying up until 6am one night, and then having my code crash last minute, I'd rather be a bit more on the ball with upcoming deadlines. Later on I'll just start prepping more things for tomorrow.

Now that's going to be a productive day.

Random quote I said today:
"Spawner's vanished. It just doesn't exist now."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
19/11/19:
- Done a heck of a lot today! Will elaborate further tomorrow, as my day is pretty free tomorrow ^^

Key thing: I shared my first official game in around a year! (It's on Scratch, but hey)
You can find it here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/346583569/ ^^
It's a simple game so far, but I'll be using this as a past time to constantly improve on ideas.

honestly this day has been a success here's to tomorrow!

"So, has anyone actually hacked into the university and gotten a good grade for being clever enough to exploit the systems?"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
20/11/19

- Had some leftover hot chocolate, so used it as milk with my cereal. It worked tbh e_e
- Didn't do very much in the morning, apart from play Smash Bros on the Switch. :P
- Had a free day today, but still headed into uni to check out what was around. There was a cake sale, and I got a slice of coffee cake and Victoria sponge ^^
- Down at a local restaurant, they sell chicken wings for 25p each there, so I got a few. Lunch covered.
- Stayed at the uni computer rooms until they shut to get some coding done, and honestly it was well spent. I managed to get some key elements done on them
- Cooked defrosted chicken successfully with some pumpkin seeds and cucumbers in the oven for dinner- tasted great!
- Now, I'm just finishing up the code I did earlier!

"Daaang that killed me at 76%? Pfft, you totally got carried there."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
21/11/19

Must be a Thursday, right? Thursdays tend to be my unlucky days of the week, being unpredictable and all.

Today, we had a check-up on some code that we were working on, and it was graded. Turned out I got 100% on it!
One problem though.. according to the datasheet my slot was meant to be yesterday, so apparently I'm classed as late on the files, even though I'm actually scheduled for the check-up today. Checked my timetable and everything! I think they mixed up the dates for my slot, so I've told them about it and hopefully they'll clear it up.

*I swear if I'm considered late I'm protesting.*

- Anyway, following my late night code session last night, I did a bit of food shopping, got back home, and just took a nap. Woke up at around 5pm to darkness. Days really have gotten shorter now heh.
- Reinvigorated myself with an iced mocha, then tried heating it up in the microwave. Honestly with marshmallows, I absolutely recommend.
- Got some sketches done in my book, and will hopefully refine them tomorrow- mainly characters I've had in mind recently that I wanted to finally flesh out. Also continued working on a comic for my old school! ^-^
- Lastly, I've been working on a tune, and it's coming along pretty well! Now, I'm just on TSR chilling. Will probably head to bed soon.

"Anyone know how to push a request without the desktop? Don't want to duplicate my code and make it burst into flames."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
22/11/19

- Started off the day pretty late. Was doing a lot of drawing last night, making characters for a game. Headed to uni for lunch, and got two hot drinks for the price of one! Sweet!
- Not much was going on at uni today, since the Winter Market's been postponed due to poor weather. So, I went and did some more food shopping. This was a much bigger shop, and some items I got should last me for the duration of this month and the next now, so hopefully I won't need to spend as much now in the lead up to Xmas.
- Did some more of the school comic. ^^
- The tune I was making got corrupted somehow... finding a way to get it back, though it may not be possible. That kinda sucks.

"Well, I couldn't find the one thing I was looking for at Poundland. So yeah I failed that. A good try though"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
23/11/19

- Woke up around 10ish this morning. Made a lot of sketches last night and definitely felt the fatigue following it. e_e
- Still got something done today. Finally bought a second monitor pretty cheaply. Now with two screens it makes it easier to look for errors in my code in future ^^
- The Winter Market has arrived, and with it, Churros! I got 6 for £4, which isn't actually too bad :P
- Found a waffle store that I remember seeing at the Freshers Fair, so that was cool!
- Roasted some pumpkin seeds. Seem to go well with ramen noodles.. neat.
- Continued working on the comic. Aiming to get it done for tmw ^-^

And that's about it! Looking at all of the Black Friday sales on Amazon too. The coffee machine reductions are great! .o.

"It would be interesting to see them in power, though it's very very VERY unlikely to happen."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
24/11/19

- Got a Mint Mocha from Greggs. Can say, it's pretty good. Would prefer it a little creamier, but the kick of minty freshness is definitely there!
- After that I did a little bit more sketching before I made some dinner.
- The day would've been rather average, but I was finally able to call my family and catch up with them, after a month of no contact with them. It was really good to talk to them again.
- Not much else after that, apart from browsing the Black Friday Sales on Amazon (hehe)

"Well, there's the Galar ones, then Charizard, and uh.. Charizard.. and.. uhhh.."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
25/11/19

- The new KFC store opened today just outside Drake Circus, so I celebrated the occasion by getting my classic £3 student deal combo. Two snack-boxes, two hot wings, and BBQ dip. Excellent
- Speaking of food, there was also a food taster session. Got to eat meatball, pulled-pork, and beef wraps. [Pulled pork was my favourite]
- Did a heck of a lot of storyboarding and character designing in SOFT166 today, and now I've got a fully fleshed out idea to work with! Now that's ready to go, I can now begin coding the mechanics needed to build the game ^^
- It's very likely that I'll document a little bit of my progress here as time goes on, so maybe stay tuned for that if you want :P
- The SEC104 lecture today was about mobile device security. Was a good one! I understood most of it already, but it was a really nice consolidation of knowledge
- Played Smash Bros for a good while. I think I'm done on it for a good few days.
- The Amazon sales continue, but nothing has really caught my eye yet...

"It's not like they just squeeze an emu!"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (197)
18.71%
Labour (545)
51.76%
Liberal Democrats (141)
13.39%
Green Party (58)
5.51%
Brexit Party (15)
1.42%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (4)