KJEKJE Says 'Life Starts With Student Debt!' Watch

KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
26/11/19

- Eyy, I finally managed to write a post before midnight this time! :P
- Woke up this morning, thinking that I was going to get grilled for being late to a lecture. Found out that it was optional, so pretty cool
- Got to play some cards with one of my friends, teaching her a new rule to a game we play. She proceeded to beat me at the game twice in a row.

._.

- Was asked the question "What does Xmas mean to me?"

I said what I always say:
"It's a time to be with family. Also snow that never comes"

- Was singing to myself at Tesco on the way back. One of the workers noticed and liked it. ^-^
- Played a game back home. Won a jam doughnut. gg.

- Continued to follow this whole COPPA law thing on Youtube. Honestly it's quite tiring looking at all sides of the story, but it's also rather interesting to me. Guess we'll see how it goes.

- Worked on a few songs, but I'm still having a bit of trouble trying to find a decent 'Kick' sample. :T

- Watched a few TED talks today. Something that Conor Neill (and technically Warren Buffett) said really stuck with me, and it's this:

"Three things: Number 1, Integrity. Number 2, Energy. And number 3, Intelligence."

I'll strive to make those my focus and see where it takes me. I'm already doing 3 here, by documenting my findings and experiences.

Random quote I said today:
"Ah, I get it now! Wait, no.

"Ok no I don't."
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
glad things have been going well so far :hugs:
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
glad things have been going well so far :hugs:
Good to see you here ^^ Thanks for stopping by!
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
27/11/19

- Woke up to an email from my bank telling me that I put in my address wrong. Spent the afternoon getting that cleared up .3.
- There's a competition at the Library today where you need to make an Xmas ornament using one sheet of paper given to us from them. Challenge accepted.
- Tried matcha green tea for the first time, has a very strong flavour and will take some adjusting to, but it's rather nice.
- Started some code for a new game. Caught fire trying to save it. 2 hours well spent.
- Had some wings on my way to uni with BBQ sauce, but they were only a snack compared to the crazy dinner I made tonight. A mix of leftover rice, KFC chicken bits, and a big bunch of veggies created this fried rice stir-fry! Was mighty nice. ^-^

- Continued watching some self-improvement videos on YT. Mostly about building confidence in pubic speaking and a crash course in music theory (knew most of it, but some surprises here and there so it's cool!)

"A lack of confidence pull us down from the bottom, and weighs us down from the top, crushing us between a flurry of can'ts, won'ts, and impossibles." - Brittany Packnett [in a TED Talk I listened to today].

"You need to be aware of the changes, as they don't stay the same.. which is what changing is."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
28/11/19

- Went to lab and did some coding. Learnt how to make an array fit into another array, something that I couldn't get my head around for some time. Will be going over this in my spare time to make sure I have it all sorted out in my mind.
- Got full feedback on my assignment. Came out with 62%, which is pretty good for a first assignment. Lost a fair amount due to the wrong type of referencing, plus my conclusion needed to have a clearer vision and just a bit 'more' focus to it (word count said otherwise, but what can ya do).
- Got 5 hefty churros at the Winter Campus Market with chocolate, marshmallows and salted caramel. Ate it all. Waited for an impending sugar rush which never came, so... that's neat
- Tried out a session of web development. Understood it a little, but nothing spectacular was created in that hour. xD

Got a second monitor working in my room.
Two screens are cool.

- House-viewing issues were cleared up a little.
- We had a big game night at my student accommodation!.Played intense games of Connect 4 and Monopoly. Ate popcorn and candy floss.
- Went to a Game Dev Event at the Roundabout. Did quite a bit of networking and met some new people. Good insights and advice were noted.

"Any advice is sound and handy advice. Whether it's taken on board and used is up to me at the end of the day!"
Last edited by KJEKJE Says Hi; 2 months ago
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
29/11/19

- Woke up pretty early at 6am, and proceeded to fall back to sleep. -.-
- Re-woke up at 9:30am and did some sorting in my room. Headed to uni to see what was on, and sketched a little.
- Went to Drake Circus with a friend to see all of the Black Friday sales on, only to not actually buy anything. There were some REALLY good deals on jackets and shoes, but those sales will last until Monday, so I may check it again over the weekend

- Got a classic mocha and headed-on down to my first official Game Dev Social. Was welcomed to Smash Bros, Wii Sports Resort, and Guitar Hero.
Freaking awesome! :O

- Came joint 3rd in the first Smash tournament with a balloon, so that's cool
- Continued into the evening and made some new friends that are further in my course. Got some really good advice from them such as to be ambitious, but not to over-scope, and increase my social presence to raise my employability. Some excellent stuff, really. ^-^

- Went to Caffeine Club and had some pizza fries and pancakes for dinner.
Even more freaking awesome! :P

- Now just finishing up some comics I was building on over the past week or two. Listening to some piano music in the meantime. Determined to get them done.

"Every relationship has a different dynamic. The right time could be quick, or can take forever. As long as both sides feel comfortable, then it's fine."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
30/11/19

- Spent the majority of the early morning making some comics for my old school. Sleep schedule got a little wacky, going to bed at 6am and waking up at 10:30am.. but was fine? o.O

I'll take it :P

- Stayed in for pretty much the whole day, as there wasn't much need to go outside today.
- Instead, I continued sketching and comic-drawing until around 5pm. By that time, I produced four new comics!

Name:  Bins_cropped.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  15.2 KB
[Here's part of one of them ^^]

- Did a group voice call with some friends I'm helping make some artwork for. Good discussion on areas and aspects I can improve on the next iterations of some designs.
- Made dinner using food going pretty out of date, and I'm still alive, so that's good!
- Played Smash Bros until 2am with one of my neighbours.

"What did I tell you? I told you not to go. to. The. EDGE! >:u"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
1/12/19

- Gave a little bit of feedback on TSR's upcoming page. Looks good from what I saw, but has room for improvement ^^
- Watched the new episode of Glitchtale. Impressed by the animation and how it's improved over time!
- Made some more music and worked on more of the comics I sketched over the weekend.
- Got to my local Greggs one minute before it closed. Result!
- Used an After Eight to make my Greggs mocha into a mint mocha. Win!

- Played SSBU with a group of friends, on a crazy rule-set where you have 10HP and 30 lives with items on. What an evening.
- Also got to play it with my bro back at home. He's definitely improved

- Successfully defrosted bread. Annnnd proceeded to burn it ._.

"That moment when it takes three thunders to kill me."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
2/12/19

- Woke up for my 11am lecture, and had some leftover pasta and mushrooms for breakfast.
- Our lecture got interrupted by a unicorn balloon blocking the projector. We sat around for a good 10-15 mins - Excellent xD
- Got some fresh donuts at the Winter Market, and accidentally blanked my friends who were right behind me. My bad ._.
- In the SOFT166 session, we did a little bit of analysis on good and bad game trailers and itch.io pages. Pretty cool, plus, gave me a few ideas on how I should market my game!

- In the second lab, I nearly lost all of my work on Unity. Now, THAT would've sucked, since I had been working on it since the start of October. Luckily, my work was saved on a PC I worked on last week, so I could just back track from my last session.
GitHub can be a troublesome thing sometimes.. ^^

- Went to the Drake Circus to do some last-day Black Friday shopping, but was stumped on what to get my best friend for Xmas. She's pretty great, so I wanted to get something that could last her a good while. After spending a solid hour in the shop, I asked the assistant for some advice.

I'm sure she'll like it.

- Did some more Cyber Monday browsing on Amazon and caught sight of a Lightning Deal on a flute. I lost my flute on the bus a few years ago, so it was a good spot for me! I'll let you know if the quality matches what they advertised. ^-^

"It's a CHAAAAAIIIIRRRR!"
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey KJEKJE Says Hi

We are featuring a selection of the Grow Your Grades blogs this year in our Grow Your Grades hub that you can find here -> Grow Your Grade Hub

I've really enjoyed your blog so far and wanted to know if it would be okay if we put your blog in for December? Let me know what you think

EH :evil:
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey KJEKJE Says Hi

We are featuring a selection of the Grow Your Grades blogs this year in our Grow Your Grades hub that you can find here -> Grow Your Grade Hub

I've really enjoyed your blog so far and wanted to know if it would be okay if we put your blog in for December? Let me know what you think

EH :evil:
Hey EH, good to hear from you! Glad that you like my blog so far! ^^

Yup, that's totally fine, go for it!
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
3/12/19

- Had a SEC104 lab on Cryptography. Was pretty cool to use some password-cracking tools! ^^
- Bought tickets for a society I take part in a lot. It's an Xmas party, and I'm looking forward to it!

- Today, a little bit of my past came back to haunt me. Cycling back through my old memories of secondary school and looking at the things that got me to where I am today, I'm also inevitably reminded of a falling out that happened between me and my friend in the middle of A-levels. That was a time that still saddens me to this day, but over time, I've learnt to not let it hang over me.

Things change, and mistakes happen.

- Downloaded Halo: Reach PC on my laptop, only to find that it won't run. Unfortunate, since it's my favourite one in the Halo series, and I was really looking forward to playing it tonight... :/

- Cooked a pizza and added some cooked ham to it :P

As the Stage 2 part to my SOFT152 module moves along, I can't help but feel that I'm behind. I'm looking over the lectures and podcasts, but at the same time, it feels like there's gaps in knowledge that I should know by now. Perhaps it would be better once I get a good night's sleep. Since I don't have any lectures tomorrow, I'll be prioritising coding and making sure that I know my stuff. ^^

"This song is actually really morbid when you hear the lyrics. Sounds like a psycho's theme tune in the winter!"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
4/12/19

- Had a decent night's sleep, but woke up late, so been feeling a little deflated from it.
- My bank seems to have accepted my evidence for the wrong thing I've applied to... not sure what exactly to do here, so I'll talk to my local branch about it tomorrow and explain the situation.
- Talked to someone in the loop about business startups, and got a little bit more info about the scholarships involved. Interesting!

- Made some matcha green tea and headed off to uni to see what was going on there. Turns out there was a small fair going on to raise money for the Special Olympics! I chipped in a little and ate some homemade mince pies ^^
- Additionally, I also won an advent calendar and a sweets pack in the tombola, so that was cool!

- Study Skills session today was cancelled due to low turn-out. What really happened was that people were running late to it- a little too late unfortunately .3.
- Ate some wings with BBQ sauce whilst listening to a TED Talk. Didn't disappoint.

- Went back to my accommodation to collect a parcel at reception. The reception staff have been having quite a rough and busy day, sorting through all of the parcels coming in following the rush of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. As they seemed pretty frazzled, I decided to give them the sweets pack I won earlier today, as I was already happy with the advent calendar. Hopefully they can get through them all smoothly

- My parcel from Cyber Monday came in today, and I'm very happy with the result!

Name:  Flute.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  10.0 KB
I got a new flute!

I used to play the flute a lot during my secondary school years, but lost it on a bus ride home one day in Year 12. It's nice to be not only playing one, but now getting my own one (rather than a rented one from school).

- This evening has been quite uneventful, which is sad actually. I really wanted to get in the mood to code something cool today, but I just couldn't get that spark today. It's almost like a bit of a 'code-block', something that I haven't really experienced since my early days on Scratch (and that was almost 5 years ago..)

Name:  .-..jpg
Views: 14
Size:  2.8 KB

As I watched the clock tick by, I've come to here a bit earlier than usual to document my day and look at what I've done (and in turn, not accomplished today). Hopefully the spark comes by tomorrow, as a deadline looms and I work a lot better when I'm in the right mindset for it. I guess in the meantime I'll get some chores and personal development done tonight. The business startup info has really gotten a few ideas going for me, and I'm going to start outlining a few more things with my (currently) mock brand. It's practice for now, but I intend to build it up over the time I'm learning.

Ah well, better luck tomorrow, I guess? :/

"Slightly ahead?
Slightly behind?
I've got some things on my mind."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
5/12/19

Today's been a good day. Felt like I got a good amount of stuff I wanted to get done today, but there's still some things to do tomorrow.

- Overslept again, but was expected this time. Our lecturer wasn't in today, so I got some good sleep in and just did some coding at home today. Felt like I got more done here than I would have at the labs today, so it was a good call. Will do a lot more tomorrow!
- Went into uni at around 12ish to sort out my student housing for next year. The bit of advice on my tenancy agreement I received was very helpful and left me with questions I can ask my housing agent tomorrow.
- Did more sketching. This time, a drawing for something to promote the university for prospective students. Will be iterating on it over time.
- Planned out a little how I'm going to celebrate Xmas break. It'll be great to return back home after a few months on my own, and nice to catch up with friends and family.
- There was a cake sale and a pop-up shop showcasing some artwork made by students on the Illustration course at the university. Some really good stuff.

- I went to the Formation Zone at the Marine building, following the advice from yesterday's phone call about business startups, and was pleasantly surprised to talk to someone from Loaded Games. An independent games company that have recently graduated from the university, they gave me a lot of insight into the stuff they're getting up to and what I can do to get ahead. Was a great opportunity to meet someone from there, and I hope to keep in touch with them for future help in the gaming industry!

- Talked to the group that runs Enactus in Plymouth, learning about what they're doing and how I can help out. May join in some cake sales here and there to raise money ^^
- Chatted to my friends back at home, catching up briefly and letting them know that I'll be back for Xmas.

- There was an evening Xmas Campus Market today. Met up with a friend and together we got 10 churros to share! Along with a hot chocolate, some biscuits and marshmallows, we had a really good evening.

- Got a little gift for one of my friends back home, but it'll likely be a birthday gift rather than an Xmas gift. Thought I'd get one now as the Xmas sales are quite good at this time ^-^

I've written this on my phone since my laptop's off and to turn it on just to make an update is long. I can format stuff tomorrow, but for now, I'll get to bed.

Night!

"The moment you called, I got startled and spilt my milk."
Last edited by KJEKJE Says Hi; 2 months ago
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
6/12/19 (Friday, wasn't it?)

*Wow, looking at my last post, I'll try and make this one a bit shorter e_e*

- Woke up at a respectable time of 2pm. I had two very odd dreams back-to-back. One with my best friend, and one where I spend £10 on raisins. ._.
- Stayed in bed until 3 and left the flat at sunset. As winter days tend to be :P

- Ate some gingerbread biscuits at the reception desk. Got some to take up to the flat later on ^^
- Went to uni to see what was on. As a matter of fact, not very much. I did a bit of shopping here and there, and then headed to the bank. General things, really .3.
- Got a mocha reduced from the SU Costa because of my reusable cup. Proceeded to improve my mocha later on by adding an After-Eight and some honey to it to get a mint-mocha result!
- Made a really nice sauce to go with rice my flatmate made (she made too much, so gave some to me). Got some leftovers to have tomorrow!

- Remember that Xmas party I was talking about on Monday? Well, that was tonight! It was the first time that I had gone to Revolution, a night club off Union Street, since my move to Plymouth in September. It was as I expected, full of people dancing with colourful lights and loud music. The music playing ranged from R'n'B, Afrobeat, and Soca, which was pretty cool! Also had a lovely Strawberry Lemonade there, packed with mint and ice.

"I don't really dance that often, but if there's a good melody and a beat, then I'll bounce to it."

Got back to the accommodation at 3:30am.

I had a really good time.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
7/12/19

Quite the uneventful day today.
Following the Xmas Party last night, I'm not too surprised :P

- Woke up around 12ish and made some toast. Almost set fire to it so that was pretty cool.
- Wanted to get some stuff sorted out at the bank today, but found it to be closed for the weekend. That actually blows, because now everything else I had planned for today was just delayed until next week. So yeah, thanks for that.
- Not really sure why else I was still outside, I decided to go and explore Armada Way Shopping Centre for the first time. There actually isn't much there, so it was a quick visit. It was neat to know that there was another way into the giant Sainsbury's however!
- Did some more brief shopping. Hopefully, that should be enough grocery shopping until I head back home for Xmas now.

- Posted a new comic
- Made a banana cake with raisins and chocolate chips. Takes a while to bake, but gives wonderful results. I may post it someday ^^

- Did some further research into travel in London without an Oyster. Since I've been in Plymouth these last few months, my 16+ Oyster card's expired now, and I haven't gotten round to getting an 18+ Student Oyster yet (and honestly, I don't really need one at this time. I'm living in Plymouth for a few years you know!)
- Yeah, turns out this 'hopper-fare' system will help me a great deal throughout the Xmas break, so my bus-hopping should be a good one!

My only regret today was that I didn't get round to doing some coding today. Felt like everything just got halted when I found the bank to be closed.

That's it. I'm making doing some coding the first thing I do in the morning.
Get that stuff done and dusted.

"Nah, it's cool, you can put 'em in. Besides, I don't even know if this cake'll be edible considering I'm using eggs a week past their sell-by date."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
I should also note that Super Smash Bros Ultimate was released one year ago yesterday and I proceeded to get one of my best ever wins using Marth. Escorted that Ike straight to the blast zone. Clip that.

But yeah, happy birthday SSBU
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
8/12/19

- Started my day quite sluggish, but got out of the flat quickly to ensure I got anymore Xmas shopping done before the Sunday closing hours.

- Spent a few hours wandering around the Xmas Market and shops to see what gift would be nice for one of my friends. Didn't want to get something too expensive, but wanted one with thought in it.
I think the choice I made was alright ^^

- Bought a Thornton's £15 advent calendar for £6. Big win.

- Got a classic Greggs mocha and pizza combo
- Did some drawing, then played SSBU for some time. Can guarantee that my time could've been better spent somewhere else.
- Doing some coding and catching up on various lectures right now. Will likely stay up for a while blitzing it to success.
Name:  Still going!.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  21.2 KB
I've discovered that I tend to work better both under pressure, and also at night time. I prefer to wake up early though to ensure I get more hours in the day. Does anyone else feel this too?

However, I wonder if it's due to my sleep pattern being affected by both my love for mochas and the time I spend with my friends at night time? Perhaps it's something for me to think about, and I should properly plan out an ideal sleep schedule at some point (or update my current one).

That being said, there's only a week before uni classes finish for the holidays, so I'll plan one out fully during then. In the meantime, my sleep schedule can falter a little to get some crucial bits sorted in order for me to relax comfortably later on ^-^

(I wouldn't recommend this method to get work done, but sometimes it can't be helped. Currently, it seems like the ideal option for now, otherwise I'll never get anything done. I'll let you know if it comes back to bite me next week hehe)

"Make sure to not submerge the base in water. Electrical circuits and all that."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
9/12/19

e_e
I may do a recap tomorrow afternoon, I may not.
Super duper tired tonight.

38 hours and counting. Me gotzt the shivers :afraid:

Random quote of the day:
"That moment when deodorant sets off the fire alarm."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
10/12/19

Stayed in bed pretty much the whole day. Was too run down to go to uni today. Been having this numbing headache, and whenever I look around my eyes feel strained, but the shivers seem to have disappeared. I played a bit of SSBU, but even that got pretty mundane after a while, so I just got some long-standing things sorted out in my room.

The deadline for Stage 2 of my SOFT152 fast approaches, due Thursday, however I am determined to get it done properly in the morning and code again in the evening. I feel much rested now following my sleepness endeavour, and determined to get it coded in.

"Hot meal? No, I said Pot Noodle!"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (202)
67.11%
No (99)
32.89%

Watched Threads