KJEKJE Says 'Life Starts With Student Debt!' Watch

KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
11/12/19

- Woke up at 8:37am, and rushed out the flat to make a surprise SEC104 9am lecture (this hasn't happened on a Wednesday morning all semester so it was a bit of a shock).
- On the way, a hailstorm decides to destroy any dryness I could've felt on the run to the uni. Was soaked throughout the whole lecture.
- The lecture itself was ok, just really long-winded and monotonous imo. We did get a good idea on what could come up in the test after Xmas, so that's neat :P
- Went to the Caffeine Club with my friends, shared some pizza fries. Decent
- Dropped off some food at the local food banks at uni. There will be some people out on the streets this cold Winter, so I'm chipping in my part.
- Tried a Welsh cake for the first time. Honestly, a tad too stodgy for me. ^~^;

- Finally found the SPACE Café! Only took the whole term to look for it... ._.
I found it to be a very nice place to relax, chat and start warm conversations with people going through a lot during their times at uni. There, I learnt about what brought them to uni and what their courses are like. Mechanical Engineering and Economics, I believe.

Wonderful bunch

- Straight after, the last Study Skills session before Xmas commenced, all about revision and exam techniques!
Most things I did know from previous years in school, but one thing I will need to try is when mind-mapping or note taking during revision, start from the main headings, and then hone in on the sub headings. Also, start on at least A3 paper, and if you need more, expand it with more paper!

By having everything on one big board, it makes it more manageable t go through, as well as ticks off what you've set.

- Walked to The Pig to get my last fill of wings (it's Wednesday after all!) before the holidays, and soundly headed home to get some crucial coding done and dusted.

I believe I am in the final stretches of the code, and should be finished with it very soon! It's been a long one, but from it I've gathered a lot. Character building maybe?

heh

Random quote I said today:
"Great. How do I get this wetness out of my trousers?"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
12/12/19

- Lost my voice today. Couldn't (and still cannot) speak and struggled to communicate and ask questions.

- Deadline day for Stage 2 of the SOFT152 Coursework. Worked on most of it and refined areas I felt that were a little scrappy last night, and it was definitely worth every minute under the desk lamp. I got full marks in this segment, meaning I'm certainly on track for a pass and above!

- A little later on though, one of my friends strongly suggested changing parts of my code to help mesh the arrays and make them easier in the long run. (I felt a little bad, as when he looked at my code, he looked rather horrified and confused with how I was going about various steps. They shouldn't work, but somehow they did...?)

The trouble was that even though he was explaining every step and logical reason for doing them to me, my sleep-deprived self was just left with more questions than answers. I decided there and then that I would tackle and experiment with his advice over the Xmas break, as I should be more rested then.

The rest of the day was tiring, but relaxing.

- Came 2nd in the ornament library competition! Won an Amazon gift voucher and the ornament's on the library Xmas tree ^-^
- Met up with a friend and played cards (though she needed to wake me up whenever it was my turn. I kept dozing off :lol:)
- Got a mocha for free at the SU Costa, as I finally had enough stamps to redeem one ^^
- Went to an extra SEC104 lab to check if I had missed anything from the Tuesday one (I was in bed all day, so I couldn't make it..) Got some nice information to help with the exams after Xmas, so yeah, it was worth going! Was VERY tired towards the end though, but at least I could walk home with some of my friends and chat to them to avoid losing sight of the streets.
- Meant to play a bit of Smash Bros. with my friend, but dozed off by accident....
- I woke up around 10:30ish.

- Played some CS:GO with my old schoolmates online, and I can confirm that I'm not great, but getting better at the game. You see, my laptop's pretty old, so it's nice to be able to play a PC game with all of them at once without it absolutely destroying my laptop.

- Really exhausted, but need to eat.
Maybe I'll get some bread.

Been a long few days these ones. Now that my lectures are done for the holidays, I can plan the rest of my days in Plymouth wisely to make the journey back to London run smoother. I'm gone on Sunday, so I've got to get the rest of my things packed quick. But that'll be there tomorrow to sort out.

Now, I sleep.
Name:  zzz.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  3.5 KB

Random quote someone thought I said today:
"How are you doing, babe?" o3o
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
ohai

Name:  Just passing by.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  14.6 KB

I'll update tomorrow.
In the process of packing and finalising things here
before
I leave for London on Sunday.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Update:

Ohai everyone!

I am currently typing this on my phone, as my laptop is still in my bag from the journey back home. Been settling in well after my first time back from uni, and hope to update this tomorrow or Friday.

Since it's the Xmas period, the style of this GYG will change a little, only being written in a small paragraph based on feelings and experiences I will have on that day (and maybe a little sketch).

The holidays should be spent with friends and family, and that's what I plan to do. ^^

- Kje
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Ohai,

Now that the Xmas holidays and the New Year's celebrations are over, it's time to return to my uni-life adventure.

I haven't been posting this week for a good reason. This week has been a tough one to go through.
Upon coming back from my trip to London, I had 3 deadlines due in the space of 3 days.

SOFT152 on Wednesday 8th.
My code broke on the night before submission, so I got stuck and couldn't progress on it. Had to hand in a sub-par submission. Absolutely livid and completely unsatisfied, considering how much time I spent on it.

SOFT166 on Thursday 9th.
Was very happy with the result of this game! Got pretty much all of the information done in time with some parts off here and there, but ticked most boxes. Good overall.

SEC104 test on Friday 10th.
Couldn't do this test to a high standard at all. I was too frazzled getting the other two deadlines ready for submission, and it left me no time to revise. Lost sleep on it too.

Did the best I could under such poor conditions.
Name:  AAAHHHHHHHHH o_e.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  26.7 KB
Who's idea was this?! We get coursework and a test set all for that week, even though we get two weeks off after it? Why not just set one of those for next week instead? That way, more people could've gotten their coursework finished and polished before submission.

The worst part about all of this is that I really liked my modules, and I was excited with what we were making and learning in them. It all just crashed and burned in the end, and my efforts won't be fully shown in these submissions.

I don't think extenuating circumstance will even work in this situation. It really shouldn't have ended this way.

Not cool. :hmpf:
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
ending 12/01/20

I have a game plan on what I want to do next week, and how I want to develop myself, and I'm really looking forward to it. There's not much I can do about the SEC104 test now, but there may be a way to save my grade on the depressing SOFT152 outcome.

I guess I'll just have to try.

It's the only chance I've got now.

On a lighter note, I will be regularly updating this blog again, now that the festivities are over! I try to post once a day here, so if you're interested in where I go and what I do at uni, stick around and stay tuned for more updates! ^^

Random quote of the week:
"Well, sometimes it's just not your day, or week, but you can only move forward. That's how we learn."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
13/1/20

- Woke up really early today, so got a really good start to the day! Around 7:30ish, so neat!
- Did some exercise and ran to the shops. Got all of my weekly shopping done in the process, and it was only the morning!
- Went to the SU Advice Centre to enquire more about the viva thing I have left for the SOFT152, to see if there is any way I can bump up my mark. I've discover that Stage 3 and 4 are two separate components, which is a good sign. I just need further clarification. ^^
- Had some toast and jam for lunch. Lovely
- Got all of my 2nd year student accommodation fully sorted today. After that, me and my friends headed to the Caffeine Club for a yummy meal. What a win!
- When I got back, I made a tea and tucked into some double choc chip cookies, and got on with some coding for my game.

- I'm having trouble trying to get my final score script fully working. When I get one thing working, another thing stops working... dangit.

Will have to try again tomorrow. It's pretty late now, and I'm watching Star Wars tmw, so I don't want to be late!

"You know, the term 'Selling your body' for a good cause makes it a lot worse."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
14/1/20:

- Woke up early, but stayed in bed this time round. Didn't do much until 1ish.

- My friends and I went to watch Star Wars IX! Gotta say, overall, was a good watch.

[basically spoiler free but I'll put it here anyways]
Spoiler:
Show
I kinda went into the film without high expectations, and was pleasantly surprised with the story, the music, and the graphics. I also feel that the character development in some characters were just absolutely spot on. Some parts in it I felt didn't really make much sense, and in some areas I feel that they were rushed, but it's Disney and they'll make money from the success anyways :P

- The rest of my day was just me trying to see if my code was working on other people's computers, as well as surfing the net through SSBU OST videos. A decent evening, but felt rather lackluster.

Here's to making my day more productive tomorrow.

"Welp, that's going to be turned into a meme. I can feel it."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
*Playing a bit of catch-up here, but not much to really say!

15/1/20:

- Woke up quite late-ish, around 1.
- Tried to go to The Pig for the classic Wing-it Wednesday, but just got there too late. Guess I spent too much time watching old Star Wars clips, heh.
- Got a Greggs pizza deal instead. When I got back, I started playing Pokemon Shield, and proceeded to play on it for a solid 12 hours straight.

So yeah. Not much :P

"Let me guess. Too late?"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
16/1/20:

- Today I woke up really late, but it was understandable, after my 12hr play-through of Pokemon Shield. It's an alright game, btw. Still miffed by how much isn't in the game, but at the same time, I do like what they've added in. So... neat.

- I watched the Nintendo Direct. actual lol

- I already knew I was not going to get any stuff done today, so I just binge-watched more Star Wars videos to a) look back and see what things tied into Rise Of The Skywalker and b) see all the comments outlining why they hated the film. Quite funny, really. I personally liked it despite its flaws :P
[So that was until 9ish or so?]
- After surviving off basically noodles, Burger King and Digestive biscuits for a week and a half, I finally made a decent dinner. Pasta, with mushrooms and tomatoes. Was going to have rice, but my flatmate spilt water over the plug socket, and now I have to leave the rice cooker to dry :T

- I didn't do anything after dinner, apart from sing a few songs in my head for a while and reminiscing of days spent with my best friend over Xmas. I find that I miss them quite often, and following my slew of deadlines last week, it only really just hit me.

I got an earlier night than usual.

"Goodness gracious me, the cheese is still in date?"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
17/1/20

- Woke up early today, which is fantastic! Got to see the sunrise, and did some light exercise.
- Had a decent breakfast, cereal with raisins and toast. Made two really cool sketches of my game, and may post them online later
- Did some coding (finally) and got working on some old code I was stuck on earlier this week. Felt good to debug it over time, and I'm sure I'll have fun debugging it tomorrow too!
- Made a light lunch: a beef and lettuce sandwich with cheese. Tasted great- my day really feels on track!
- Got a mocha from the SU Costa. (They don't do the Friday deal anymore! Lucky, I still got a deal from using a reusable cup, so it was good anyways)

- Games Dev Social was on today. Played Smash Bros and other games were on in the background. It was a great experience, and got to see some people I saw last time and catch up with them about what they did over the holidays.

The SSBU tournament of the social was on again, and this time round I won the tournament! Pikachu didn't let me down, though there were some extremely close calls. Afterwards I got to play with the person I lost to last tournament, and Jigglypuff got their redemption. A successful evening! ^-^

I also got some very good advice from 2nd and 3rd Years too about how to approach the viva, and I know what I must do. I will continue to practise my coding skills until the day, familiarising myself more and more with the jargon and reasons why these terms are used. I know how to do them, I just need to fully understand why we do.

It's good to talk to like-minded people about this kind of stuff, because they've already been through it. A good reason to go to uni ^^

- Made another tasty dinner, and now the rice that was soaking for a day was fluffier when plated up. A satisfying end to the day!
- Chatted with my friends on Discord whilst getting some drawings done. One of my friends was snoring on their mic :P

"How was I the only one that died in that conversion? I wasn't even asleep!"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
18/1/20
*Think I'll do an earlier post tonight*

- Woke up at a pretty good time, but stayed in bed.

heh

- Had noodles with beef and lettuce for lunch, along with some toast. Served with Digestive biscuits and hot chocolate. A satisfying combination!
- Got a little bit of passive coding done. Was taking it easy today, but I also did some drawing too.
- Listening to music whilst typing this, and waiting to call my family and catch up with them. Haven't spoken to them since my coach ride back to Plymouth, so it'll be great to talk to them again!

After the call, I'll probably make a late dinner, and head off swiftly to bed.

Yeah, quite the laid-back day today, and I gotta say, I'll welcome it ^^

"It's fine, she'll come back. There's no way she's just forgotten to take her toast from the toaster."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
19/1/20

ok so i just refreshed the page not realising i didn't post my day
so i just deleted the post i finished

long story short:

- My friend's b'day today
- Got a Steak Bake deal instead of my usual pizza bake
- Made a good meal out of expired food

- Looked at Wix templates. Intend on making one for my portfolio and collection of art, music, and games.

Monday is tomorrow, which is a new week! I want to wake up early to get the most productivity out of my day, so I'll catch you guys later!

"Hehe, you can decide where we go for lunch ;P"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Apologies, everyone! Been off for a few days. Posting 'em now ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
20/1/20

*monday, right?*

- I woke up really early, which was awesome! I made some brekkie and drew a self-portrait of myself. I made my eyes and lips
way too big, but for a first time in a while, quite happy with how it turned out!
- Got some quick shopping done, but only some milk and cookies.

- Went to visit my course-mates. Ate some pizza, smiley potato waffles and some nuggets, then played Beat Saber on my friend's VR headset. It's so cool!

*also Crystallise by Camellia is my new song to head-bang to. Immediate new jam.*

We also played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes! Managed to defused a bomb with 5 seconds to spare o_O
Was a good day.

- Finished watching this C# tutorial. Was really helpful for consolidation of things I learnt in the lecture, so overall a comprehensive course with good info!
- I looked at my code again, and gave it another good go. Most of my code works now! It's just a shame that I won't be able to show this version in the viva...
- Finally chose a template on Wix. That's as far as I've gotten so far, heh

"I think Crab Rave is one of the most difficult songs to play."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
- - bonus - -

I got locked out of my flat lol
pretty much all of my flat had a problem with the door today

fixed now
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
21/1/20

- Hung out with a friend and played cards until 9pm. Ate Taco Bell, had a mocha and had a good time!

As the viva approaches, it came to my mind. Even if I managed to code it again properly before the viva on a back-up copy, it's clear that what I've got to show there won't be allowed for marking, as it would be past the submission date. There's no way I can pass this module if that e-submission (with the broken code) is used, and I know that will be the one I'm marked on.

As it doesn't work, there's no functionality.

There's no point.

It may just be better if I prepared what I am likely to do in the likely scenario of a referral, so I brushed up on the regulations for the uni. At least when I get the inevitable fail, I'll have a good idea on what I will have to do to fix it in the future.

Kinda sucks really.

Random quote of the day:
"You're giving me your soft taco? But you paid for it, you should eat it!"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
22/1/20

Yeah, I'll pass for today. I knew exactly what would happen.
I'll edit the rest of my day later probably.

"Pretty sure I typed something wrong in yesterday's post."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
23-24/1/20
Name:  .-..jpg
Views: 9
Size:  2.8 KB
- Today and yesterday were a mix of getting over what happened on Wednesday. I made a new friend as a result of my failure in the SOFT152 module. He seems pretty cool, and although I won't be doing the referral until Summer, I'm sure that we will cross paths and say hi from time to time.

How did I feel over these days? A mix of things.

Part of me is glad that the wave of chaos and limbo was finally over, as I now have a conclusion from the module.
Another part of me is disappointed with the result I got, and ultimately what I will have to do come Summer.
Another part is frustrated with how the deadlines for my modules were handed.
Another is numb from the wacky sleep schedule I've had these past few days.

And another just feels.. bored right now.

There's nothing to do, since the semester hasn't started yet. I'm sure that when Semester 2 begins, I'll feel a lot better. I've told some of my friends about my recent result, and they've told me that it's just a part of learning. They've been really supportive about it and have helped me through it all.

It's true that uni has its pros and cons, and it certainly does throw some curveballs at you, but you become better from how you bounce from failure.

Even though I have to retake the module in the Summer, I know what I need to do to make sure that I certainly pass this time. It's a shame that the maximum grade I can get for SOFT152 has been capped to 40%, and I was so close to getting something much better. What is good to know, however, is that in the first year, only the top four scores over the course of our 6 modules are counted towards our degree, which mean that if I ace my other three modules, then the SOFT152 won't be counted.

So... I can definitely pick this up!

Random quote I said at some point:
"Huh, it actually worked. 20 KFC Hot Wings for £5.99. Neat!"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
- bonus! -

- There was a Rum and Reggae night at the SU! Got to play dominoes and listen to some really good tunes ^^

- Also hugged someone in an awkward place by accident :innocent:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads