KJEKJE Says 'Life Starts With Student Debt!' Watch

KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
25/1/20

- Chinese New Year! What did I do for it? Not much, but enough to celebrate it

- I bought a stir fry pack and some spring onions from the Tesco Express downstairs. With Sesame Oil, Chinese Five Spice, and some Soy Sauce, I made a fantastic dish combining the leftover KFC from my 20 hot wings bucket. So proud with how it turned out, and it was mighty tasty too!

- I also was able to get a quick drawing done in time too, to celebrate the new year, and with that the day was up.

- Not much, but a good day nevertheless. ^^

Random quote I said today:
"Well, technically he's a mouse, but for the sake of context.. let's go with it."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
26/1/20

- The Refreshers Fair is next week! Looking forward to seeing what goes on
- Made lunch (noodles, last 2 wings, eggs with cucumbers). A very successful dish made, and a hearty one at that! Probably the best ramen I've made to date :P
- Made a present for one of my good friends from secondary school for her b'day. Got to reconnect and catch-up with her- was great to hear that she's doing alright. ^^
- Got a few sketches done for a card game. Quite happy with how they turned out!
- I started recording some old songs. Wanted to try prepping them for future posting on YouTube, but the video software recording the visualiser wasn't actually keeping up with my laptop. Dangit. Will have to try a different approach another time, but at least I've started.
- Went to Greggs, and got a classic mocha. Didn't need the pizza this time since my lunch turned out so well

- Finished my uni-log/sketchbook. Wow, that was quick! Guess I'll need to start a new one, and just in time for the new semester!

- Tried making a visualiser for a song. Didn't turn out great ^-^;

Will try again later on next week.

So, Semester 2 starts tomorrow! Though I'm still waiting for the results of my other modules, we must press on with the continuous learning that is uni life.

My three modules are SOFT153, NET112, and ISAD157. Will go into further detail on them at a later date, as I have yet to learn what exactly we'll be covering this term. I really hope we do a lot of mathsy and techy stuff, since the first one focused on learning the fundamentals. I want to now put that newfound info into good use. :cool:

"The internet is such a wonderful, yet strange place."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?

Wanted to say this in separate post.

R.I.P Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna. Basketball legend, and such a tragic way to go out. My heart goes out to their family and friends during this horrible situation.

KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
27/1/20
And so, the new semester begins. Not with a bang, but with a nonchalant sip of green tea I brewed in the morning. I couldn't sleep last night, because I was thinking about what the new modules have to offer.
Finally, some change after stagnation in my course!:woo:

- The first lecture was at 11am, on Computing and Networks [NET112]. Learnt a bit about logic gates, truth tables, and key binary and hexadecimal basics. Started off strong, but the lecturer didn't speak loud enough (he only talked through his mic once throughout the whole lecture, heh) so not many could understand what he was trying to say. He started losing a few people towards the end of the lecture. In future, I'll see what difference sitting at the front of the hall makes, since I couldn't see the board clearly :T

- Lunch at 1, having a heated philosophical debate with my friends on the concept of objectivity in art. Got a Toastie Bite from Subway for £1.29. Pretty titchy, but was tasty.

- Considering I couldn't sleep last night, I bought some Maoam Pinballs to ensure that I didn't accidentally fall asleep in the next lecture. The lecture was Data Structures, Algorithms and Mathematics [SOFT153]; the lecturer seems like quite the character, however I find the maths a bit too easy right now. We were learning how to do fractions and functions... I'm sure it'll pick up swiftly over the coming weeks ^^

- By 4pm, my friends and I rushed to the SU Costa to get a hot drink (got a mocha, obviously) before the third and last lecture started. The Analysis and Design Project Lecture [ISAD157], we got a good idea of what we'll be doing over the semester, and I'll be honest. It's definitely giving me A-Level DT vibes , but with more freedom and opportunity to expand your horizons!

In groups, we also did a short activity! You needed to build the tallest structure out of only paper, along with a design plan and brief to back it up, so whilst two of us built the tower, the other three wrote out the brief.
Name:  Tape.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  21.2 KB
We did really well, getting the second highest structure!

- As I headed back home, I got a few things ticked off my to-do list, including recording a quick tune, reading up on the lecture notes, and best of all, finally joining the Game Dev Society's upcoming Game Jam! It'll be my first ever one, and I'm soooo excited for it! I'll be see to let you know how it goes over the coming weekend (without giving too much to avoid any unintentional rule-breaks, heh)

- Lost track of time a little, so had a late dinner. Was only a quick ramen combo I whipped up, but hit the spot

And there we go! A much longer post than usual, I know, but as it's the start of something new, I really wanted to mark the day in this big entry. My first few modules may have been a mess towards the end, but I aim to rectify that. I'm going to give it all I've got!
Name:  You can do it..jpg
Views: 9
Size:  22.4 KB
"Lol, so learning origami really paid off"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Alright then, time to update this.

Trying to keep this up to date more often, but I'm just away doing other things at uni!

Let's do this! ^^
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
28/1/20

- Woke up very early, since my lab sessions had a 9am start -w-
- We mainly learnt about how to create an adequate Product Vision. Think of it like an elevator pitch:
What would you do to sell your product or app to someone if the time you had to advertise it was one elevator trip?
Marketing speech, kinda. Learnt some good stuff :P

- Got some pizza with one of my friends. I got a classic Hawaiian Pizza whilst she got a Pepperoni one with some garlic bread (I think she preferred the garlic bread to the pizza, heh) I also *nearly* had coffee spilt on me :K:
- Went to the Refreshers Fair! Lots of freebies and places that were offering give-it-a-go sessions! I may join the Spikeball and Ultimate Frisbee societies .u.
- Tried to go to an Enactus session, but just missed it. However, I did get to find out about this competition themed on elements (fire,water,air,etc.), and I may give that a go!

"It certainly suffers from how little staff there are working on it, resulting in severe cuts to the game. Shame that the DLC couldn't be put in the original game, but I bet that's also beneficial in a marketing perspective."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
29/1/20

- Tried to help out my friend with some accreditation thing, but unfortunately didn't get to help them out in time. Didn't even get to the study skills session on time. My whole afternoon got squandered tbh...

.. so that kinda sucks :T

- A lot of SSBU was played that day.
- Got some wings and used them to make a tasty dish in the rice cooker! Happy tummy \(-o-)/

"
Byleth's down air:
Pichu: lol, i'm in danger
"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
30/1/20:

Not much actually happened today. My only lab was at 4-6pm, so I mainly slept in for most of today lol

Was super excited about the Global Game Jam tomorrow though! With so many ideas flooding my head, I couldn't sleep.
Seriously, I just couldn't stop thinking about it ^^

"The plus and the dot really should be swapped around. That's just stupid."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
31/1/20 - 2/2/20
- The Global Game Jam! -
From Friday to Sunday, I took part in the Plymouth Uni Global Game Jam (my first GGJ) and what an event it was! Enjoyed every bit of it, despite the hectic parts of trying to get a working game released on time. The event was full of pizza, soft drinks, and Doritos, plus we got to stay on uni premises until late, which made the whole event pretty awesome

Name:  meet the team!.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  173.1 KB

I got together with a few 2nd years, and as a team of 5, we thought up and built a game based on the theme of 'Repair'. We decided to try and build a game where it starts off broken, but as you progress through the game, you essentially fix the once broken game. I mainly helped out by proposing many ideas for the game's overall design, art and sprite-work, and music! Here's some of what I got up to during the 48 hours we had to complete it:
Name:  GrassBlock2x1.png
Views: 5
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  owo_tuckspin.png
Views: 6
Size:  2.7 KB
Name:  0__0.png
Size:  2.0 KB
There's lots more to show, but it's better if you play the game for yourself. If anyone would like to give it a try, let me know and I'll add the link ^^

We came 2nd in the end for our game jam, and 1st place's entry was nothing short of fantastic. The sprite-work, the coding, and the sfx really brought it all together! Quite crazy what you can get done with a solid team in 48 hours o.O

As it was done in 48 hours, our final submission still has glitches here and there, but since we were nearly done with it (and had a lot of unused sprites) we could release a final final game in the future. So who knows? May talk about it in the future!

Random quote I said this event:
"35 minutes to make a catchy game tune. That's a new record! o_o"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
3/2/20:

Following last weekend's Global Game Jam, I created a group chat on Discord with the team I worked on the game with, and I'll post some artwork that could go in the game from time to time. Everyone has their own things to get on with (you know, like their degrees, heh) so it'll just be a side thing we could improve on slowly for fun!

- Back to the triple-lecture Monday, I got on with what we're currently learning this semester. In NET112, I don't think anyone actually understood what was going on. The lecturer certainly knows his stuff, but it doesn't translate well with how he teaches others. I'll have to look over his lecture in my spare time later in the week, and if worse, I'll drop an email to him.

Shame. Really interesting topic we're learning this week (it's how to assemble x86 networks and compiler stuff like that. I want to know how to learn it, but how it was explained wasn't clear! )

- SOFT153 was alright. Could afford to be a little late for it (had a late lunch) since the topic this week was differentiation and integration. (A-Level Maths kinda helps with that hehe) It was interesting seeing how the lecturer was teaching it though. Some parts I disagreed pretty strongly, as I felt that it may confuse others with what they were currently learning, but I digress. Followed well though, plus I still learnt something new in it: The Raleigh Curve.

- ISAD157 was taught well, but honestly I already knew what we were being taught. A little consolidation doesn't hurt though, so good either way. ^^

- Back at home now. I drew a tree for the game.
Name:  i made a tree.jpg
Size:  136.8 KB

- Also continued working on the music for the game! I have been thinking of adding lyrics to it

"It's a gradient! Not a flipping slope."
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
4/2/20

- Woke up this morning, and I found out my SEC104 result...

I passed the module :O

I'm actually shocked, because I was dreading failing the module due to sheer fatigue, lack of revision, and poor timing. But this guy still passed it!

- Of course, there's the underlying annoyance that I should've done soooo much better in the test, despite the set-backs, but I'll take the extra bit of security. Phew.

- The labs today were ok. Was able to do the maths without any huge problem, with wording of some Qs catching me out. Will improve as time goes on ^^ ISAD's lab in particular was intriguing, and some good questions were answered in it. Looking forward to what coursework we get for it, but I hope we do get something games-related.

It's a tad unlikely though, so I'll just code some games in my spare time

I helped out my friend with something she was stumped on for her assignment. Apparently her lecturer added a small detail last minute for her module, and essentially screwed over their students (and looking at the spec, I agree it's daft to expect from students with 2 days before the deadline..) It was digital-related, and so I helped guide her in the right direction for it. Continued to support her as she tried to get it done.

I hope she does well with it, because she was dealt an unfair hand tbh.

- Not much went on this evening, just chilled and wrote down what I want to get done tomorrow!

Random quote I said yesterday (because I forgot to add it and it was super funny at the time):

"
Hey guys! Is it raining outside?!
*proceeds to accidentally step into the largest puddle outside the building*
"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
5/2/20

- So, one of my best friends woke me up with a kind text. Made my morning

- I mainly got on with a LOT of artwork today, building up my brand and social media presence, as well as recorded some lyrics for this Global Game Jam song I put together in 35 minutes (still impressed by that lol).

The lyrics are as cheesy as I imagined.

- I got 5 wings since it's a Wednesday, and took some home to make another yummy rice cooker dish. Bit awkward though, because I accidentally used mouldy tomatoes in my food... I'll let you know if I'm still alive .__.

"I posted a YT comment and it's gotten over 800 likes. Neat.
Wait, how did that happen?" .3.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
6/2/20

A lot happened today, but I'll keep it brief-ish ^^

- Woke up early for a talk on placement year and what to look out for and where to start. Knew most of it already though - I've been prepping for this day since October! >:P
- After the lecture, me and my friends went to Caffeine Club, where I got a toasted marshmallow hot chocolate. *Mmm tasty!*
- Headed to the Roundabout for a late brekkie (Pancakes with bacon anyone?) Got some sketching done there
- Finished the tune, and now it's flipping stuck in my head. Oops.

- Went to the NET112 lab, and as I guessed!

No-one gets how to do it! I called it! ragida-fragida-ragida-fra-.. :mad: Stuff it, I'll just look at a yt video. May get a few pointers there too, because I want to understand this concept!

- Anyway, I headed over to Tesco Metro to get some popcorn. I finally watched a movie with some of my flatmates! (this is following from the pumpkin contest I won back in November) We went to watch Bad Boys, and it was just a wacky as I imagined. Some good laughs though, so not a wasted ticket at all!

"Aww man, having coffee so early in the morning?... Wait--"
KJEKJE Says Hi
Rep:
?
*Annnnd there we go, pretty much caught up! May add tonight's later on* ^^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (202)
67.11%
No (99)
32.89%

Watched Threads