Cat scratch treatment Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Does anyone know how to treat a scratch by a cat?

This cat had babies a few months ago. She is not tamed though so she’s still in the streets and I fed her a couple of times. This time she scratch me on my foot. It looks like she got me good. It’s not mild but not too serious. I washed it with soap till it stopped bleeding however idk what to do next.
I read online that I can either apply antibiotic cream or bandage but idk which of the two
Anonymous #1
Does the fact that she had babies recently increase any risks?
Anonymous #1
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
same risk for infections. What I do suggest is antibiotic or at least antiseptic cream.
You can use lavender oil if you want to go for a natural treatment.
Scratches get worse after a day or two then get better.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone know how to treat a scratch by a cat?

This cat had babies a few months ago. She is not tamed though so she’s still in the streets and I fed her a couple of times. This time she scratch me on my foot. It looks like she got me good. It’s not mild but not too serious. I washed it with soap till it stopped bleeding however idk what to do next.
I read online that I can either apply antibiotic cream or bandage but idk which of the two
You've done well with the soap water. Now you just need to keep it clean and keep an eye on it. With scratches from a cat or any other animal it's especially important to keep an eye out for things like infection. If you start to see red spreading out from around the scratch, it feels abnormally painful, starts leaking anything etc then see a medical professional. That could mean a pharmacist, practice nurse, walk in clinic etc. If the scratch is deep then it could be worth seeing somebody like a pharmacist straight away, especially cos this is a stray cat who could have all sorts of bugs. A pharmacist is the quickest person to see, has training to deal with loads of stuff like this and can tell you if it's worth seeing anybody else like a nurse.
If you think it could do with a wash at any point you can use salt water and dab it dry. Salt is naturally good at preventing infection so is great for cuts and scrapes.

As far as the plaster question goes that's honestly a bit of a debate. People have different views on if a plaster is best or if you should let it breathe. My logic is that you use a plaster to keep it clean so if it's still open and bleeding or if it's a place that's likely to get mucky it's a good idea to use one, but if you get a chance you can take it off, make sure it's all dry and clean still (it can get a bit sweaty under plasters) and let it breathe. Since this is on your foot I would probably shove a plaster on it until it's a bit more healed cos you don't want to get sock fluff in it.

Cat scratches are one of those things that CAN get super gross and need some more intervention, but most of the time it will heal up fine in a few days as long as you take care of it. Don't worry about it, just pop over to see somebody if it does seem it's starting to get gross cos then you can get it sorted before it does.

Also, consider contacting a shelter about the kitty cat. They might want to take it in, spay it so it can't have any more babies and give it a good home. The kittens too. You don't want a never-ending swarm of kittens to take care of and it's probably not fun for mamma cat to be pregnant and hungry (it's not like she can choose to use protection).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kathy89)
same risk for infections. What I do suggest is antibiotic or at least antiseptic cream.
You can use lavender oil if you want to go for a natural treatment.
Scratches get worse after a day or two then get better.
I applied antibiotic cream and hopefully it’s nothing serious. How many days would you say are needed till it heals or till I know that it’s actually something serious indeed? Cause so far it’s just a red scratch, not mild but not
too deep.
Thank you ☺️
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
You've done well with the soap water. Now you just need to keep it clean and keep an eye on it. With scratches from a cat or any other animal it's especially important to keep an eye out for things like infection. If you start to see red spreading out from around the scratch, it feels abnormally painful, starts leaking anything etc then see a medical professional. That could mean a pharmacist, practice nurse, walk in clinic etc. If the scratch is deep then it could be worth seeing somebody like a pharmacist straight away, especially cos this is a stray cat who could have all sorts of bugs. A pharmacist is the quickest person to see, has training to deal with loads of stuff like this and can tell you if it's worth seeing anybody else like a nurse.
If you think it could do with a wash at any point you can use salt water and dab it dry. Salt is naturally good at preventing infection so is great for cuts and scrapes.

As far as the plaster question goes that's honestly a bit of a debate. People have different views on if a plaster is best or if you should let it breathe. My logic is that you use a plaster to keep it clean so if it's still open and bleeding or if it's a place that's likely to get mucky it's a good idea to use one, but if you get a chance you can take it off, make sure it's all dry and clean still (it can get a bit sweaty under plasters) and let it breathe. Since this is on your foot I would probably shove a plaster on it until it's a bit more healed cos you don't want to get sock fluff in it.

Cat scratches are one of those things that CAN get super gross and need some more intervention, but most of the time it will heal up fine in a few days as long as you take care of it. Don't worry about it, just pop over to see somebody if it does seem it's starting to get gross cos then you can get it sorted before it does.

Also, consider contacting a shelter about the kitty cat. They might want to take it in, spay it so it can't have any more babies and give it a good home. The kittens too. You don't want a never-ending swarm of kittens to take care of and it's probably not fun for mamma cat to be pregnant and hungry (it's not like she can choose to use protection).
So
-red around the wound
-leaking
-and pain
are the indications that it might be something serious?
how do you mean the red around the wound? Red spots?
I did go to a pharmacist however she wasn’t that aware and didn’t know what to tell me
she only gave me an antibiotic cream.
I also read online that the risk is greater if the scratch is deep however idk what their definition of deep is. The way I can describe the scratch is it’s not mild but not too deep, it’s deep red and so far I only noticed pain when I woke up and stepped on it but after a few seconds it was fine.

Im not sure if I should go to my gp yet. I’d like to wait a few days to see if it gets better but at the same time idk if an infection can develop in that time period. The only thing that worries me is that it’s from a stray cat who hadn’t kittens some
months ago and that it’s still red.

Thank you so much for your help
Anonymous #1
Correction!!!

What worries is me is that
1) it’s from a stray cat who had babies a few months ago
2) when I cleaned it with soap and water last night it was light pink but now about 10 hours later it’s deep red :/
Anonymous #1
Ahhh so it’s normal then huh.
I just want to prevent anything serious before it starts hurting if it’s indeed infected.

Do you have any tips for that?
Would you say to bandage it or to leave it so it gets some oxygen?
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So
-red around the wound
-leaking
-and pain
are the indications that it might be something serious?
how do you mean the red around the wound? Red spots?
I did go to a pharmacist however she wasn’t that aware and didn’t know what to tell me
she only gave me an antibiotic cream.
I also read online that the risk is greater if the scratch is deep however idk what their definition of deep is. The way I can describe the scratch is it’s not mild but not too deep, it’s deep red and so far I only noticed pain when I woke up and stepped on it but after a few seconds it was fine.

Im not sure if I should go to my gp yet. I’d like to wait a few days to see if it gets better but at the same time idk if an infection can develop in that time period. The only thing that worries me is that it’s from a stray cat who hadn’t kittens some
months ago and that it’s still red.

Thank you so much for your help
What I mean with the red thing is if the skin around it starts to get red. It's totally fine for the scratch to be red still, but if you start to notice that there's red spreading away from the scratch. Like there's a bruise around it or streaks of red. A little bit of pink or red right close to the cut like a slight glow is fine. Screathces tend to raise up a little bit and get a bit of redness to them.

Deep would basically be if it looks more like a cut than a scratch. Like if you could actually see a debth to it rather than it just being those first couple of layers of skin.

It sounds like it's fine so far since the pharmacist wasn't worried. Just keep on taking care of it and if you think it starts looking gross that's when I would pop back to a pharmacy.

I wouldn't expect you do start to have any issues like that because it sounds like you cleaned it quickly and are doing well with keeping it clean. If it did start to look a bit gross it still wouldn't be anything to worry about. It's just that you might need to do some extra stuff to stop it getting any worse. There's still loads of time there to stop it getting nasty and your body could still sort it out itself even.

You shouldn't need to see your GP. Most likely it will heal by itself over a few days. Just keeping an eye out for any issues (they would be quite obviously out of place so you would notice) and seeing somebody like a pharmacist or nurse is enough caution. You see nurses by calling your drs surgery btw. They are good to see for things like cleaning wounds and are usually quicker than GPs. You can ask the receptionist who would be best to see when you phone (well IF you phone, which you aren't likely to need to)

I hope that all makes sense. It sounds like you've done everything right so really it's just a lot of saying "you shouldn't need to see anybody because it isn't like this or this",
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thank you all for your answers!

Looks like the scratch is nothing serious.

Since y’all seem to be so knowledgeable regarding cats...there is another stray kitten coming outside my door and from the other cats’ behavior it doesn’t seem like it’s their baby.
He’s quite cute and is seemingly deprived of affection as he’s rubbing on the other cats but they scratch and hiss at him.
I really want to give him that affection not only by feeding it but also petting it.
Since it’s a stray and also a kitten I want to make sure there are no risks. I’ve heard stories of stray kittens being covered in their own urine and people getting infection simply by touching them. Or that stray kittens might have fleas etc.

To get it checked I’d have to tame it first and what other way than giving it food and trying to pet it so it knows you’re safe. So once he trusts me enough to touch him I could just take him with me to the vet.
However I want to know that it’s safe for me to touch him.
Is there any way to know if this kitten has fleas or anything else that’s contagious? Any indications I should pay attention to?

Thank you all!
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thank you all for your answers!

Looks like the scratch is nothing serious.

Since y’all seem to be so knowledgeable regarding cats...there is another stray kitten coming outside my door and from the other cats’ behavior it doesn’t seem like it’s their baby.
He’s quite cute and is seemingly deprived of affection as he’s rubbing on the other cats but they scratch and hiss at him.
I really want to give him that affection not only by feeding it but also petting it.
Since it’s a stray and also a kitten I want to make sure there are no risks. I’ve heard stories of stray kittens being covered in their own urine and people getting infection simply by touching them. Or that stray kittens might have fleas etc.

To get it checked I’d have to tame it first and what other way than giving it food and trying to pet it so it knows you’re safe. So once he trusts me enough to touch him I could just take him with me to the vet.
However I want to know that it’s safe for me to touch him.
Is there any way to know if this kitten has fleas or anything else that’s contagious? Any indications I should pay attention to?

Thank you all!
Not really. If they look dirty there's a strong chance they will have fleas and be generally covered in germs. You could wear gloves though. That way even if it is dirty you have a good defense.
You could also get a trap or lure it into a basket without touching it. Put a bit of food in, wait patiently until it investigates then close the door.

Ideally you want to get all of the cats checked and sorted because all of them are going to be a risk to eachother. And any of them that are left un-treated will continue to pop out loads of kittens that will need to be taken care of so they don't get sick and hungry too.

Ask a local shelter, vets or the rspca for advice. I believe various charities will come collect and take care of stray cats for you. I expect you could aks for them to help you with that and then you adopt some of them if you wanted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (155)
24.45%
Pop (156)
24.61%
Jazz (26)