hlynchg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know of any accommodation in Salford (halls) that I can pay with my student loan and that doesn’t have a deposit I have already paid for a deposit on one place but they took it from me and now I can’t find a place to live while I’m at uni and my life is falling apart
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hlynchg)
Does anyone know of any accommodation in Salford (halls) that I can pay with my student loan and that doesn’t have a deposit I have already paid for a deposit on one place but they took it from me and now I can’t find a place to live while I’m at uni and my life is falling apart
How did you pay for one place and they took it from you?

There is no uni owned accommodation?
Are you a fresher?
Have you asked the bank to help?

The only type of accommodation that might waive or be flexible on deposit is uni owned or a private LL or lodger type situation.

You havent explained your predicament very well. Talk to the su adviser or shelter.

SU adviser sounds better as am getting less than half the details here.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why have you lost your deposit? Are you sure you can leave whatever youd signed for?

Look for private halls or flat shares. Go on your uni fb page and ask, people will have rooms they need to get rid of and may be willing to forgo their own deposit and give it to you. Also ask your uni accommodation office. Can a friend or family lend you the deposit it's only likely to be 100-200£?
hlynchg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
How did you pay for one place and they took it from you?

There is no uni owned accommodation?
Are you a fresher?
Have you asked the bank to help?

The only type of accommodation that might waive or be flexible on deposit is uni owned or a private LL or lodger type situation.

You havent explained your predicament very well. Talk to the su adviser or shelter.

SU adviser sounds better as am getting less than half the details here.
Sorry for not explaining well I paid a £99 deposit to Student life Mears (Bramall court) and because they asked for £600 after I signed the agreement I said that I couldn’t get it in the time they asked ( less than a week ) because my student loan hasn’t come through yet and they basically told me I couldn’t have it back no matter how hard I tried. So I am in a predicament because I can’t afford another deposit so I will have to commute until I can find/afford accommodation. I have messaged Mears on twitter and they said they were going to look into it and get back but never have
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Sorry for not explaining well I paid a £99 deposit to Student life Mears (Bramall court) and because they asked for £600 after I signed the agreement I said that I couldn’t get it in the time they asked ( less than a week ) because my student loan hasn’t come through yet and they basically told me I couldn’t have it back no matter how hard I tried. So I am in a predicament because I can’t afford another deposit so I will have to commute until I can find/afford accommodation. I have messaged Mears on twitter and they said they were going to look into it and get back but never have
Did you read the agreement before you signed and did it say when rent was due?

Make a complaint and tell them you are very disappointed in their attitude. Lots of students will not have any money till student finance is paid, which they should know. You should have read the contract, but if they said anything about just putting a deposit down or that they would wait then tell them you were led to believe payment when sfe paid would be fine.

Tell them you would never have paid a deposit if that was the case and you are due to see an adviser at the student union and one of the unis accommodation officers next week to make them aware of the situation. That might call their bluff a bit. Tell them that was your only money.
JinxGiz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
If you are still looking for a room in Salford, I'm trying to sell mine in Bramall Court. The deposit and first payment have already been paid
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?