The Student Room Group

Bringing pets to uni

I know most uni accommodation does not allow pets, but to what extent is this rule actually enforced? How often are checks of the rooms made? I want to bring a ball python, he's very low maintenance and can't really damage the room in any way. I don't know whether I'd get away with it or not!
I am so sorry mate but you definitely will not get away with it - usually some form of cleaner comes in every week or so (unless you're living in a house outside campus, in which case you'll have to contend with the landlord), and in any case you'll probably be surprised by how busy you are!
I can't imagine adding the routine of keeping another creature alive while at uni when I barely remember to feed myself, and I think many people would agree!
Original post by hi_imcatherine
I know most uni accommodation does not allow pets, but to what extent is this rule actually enforced? How often are checks of the rooms made? I want to bring a ball python, he's very low maintenance and can't really damage the room in any way. I don't know whether I'd get away with it or not!

In my halls, inspections only occurred twice. We didn't have cleaners either, but others do. I wouldn't risk it. If you get caught, the consequences can be big depending on the policies.
If you're moving into halls of residence, any animals of any kind are forbidden and as said you will get caught out very quickly. Wait til years 2 and 3 and move into private accommodation.
Thanks for your advice. Waiting until next year isn’t so bad I guess
I know people who managed with stuff like hamsters. Their room didn't have cleaners and for inspections they'd take it elsewhere. I guess it wouldn't be easy to transport a python regularly. The other issue is how fair it is. Halls are loud and you won't have much time or money. Idk how sensitive pythons are. Lastly it's conceivable you get a flatmate who sees it and gets terrified and reports you.
Original post by doodle_333
I know people who managed with stuff like hamsters. Their room didn't have cleaners and for inspections they'd take it elsewhere. I guess it wouldn't be easy to transport a python regularly. The other issue is how fair it is. Halls are loud and you won't have much time or money. Idk how sensitive pythons are. Lastly it's conceivable you get a flatmate who sees it and gets terrified and reports you.

Him scaring my flatmates was my main concern. His vivarium could fit under a bed during an inspection but maybe that’s not concealed enough. Ball pythons are one of the smallest species of snake so he’s not difficult to move. Perhaps I’ll do that.
Original post by hi_imcatherine
Him scaring my flatmates was my main concern. His vivarium could fit under a bed during an inspection but maybe that’s not concealed enough. Ball pythons are one of the smallest species of snake so he’s not difficult to move. Perhaps I’ll do that.

Halls vary a lot. I know someone who just used to put their hamster in the wardrobe and cover with clothes and pass inspections and others where they were very thorough and would potentially notice under the bed. The issue is I think you can't keep secrets in halls and snakes are definitely polarizing! If he's easy to transport maybe wait a term and then you can guage your flatmates reactions and how inspections are done.
Hey,

In all honesty - you probably shouldn't. BUT. I, and others have hidden worse things than pets.
Inspections (don't hold me to this) generally consist of shared kitchen being cleaned. You will get alerts for when they want to check your bedroom, in which case if you're happy to put him under your bed. What they'll do is check your lights, your toilet, then leave.

I can't really condone it, because you may get into trouble if you're caught. If you were to do it, I would tell no one. You don't know who will grass on you, even your flatmates. Unless you think they're 100% safe.

Best bet is to go to a Uni house, way way easier to hide and sort it then.

Hope this helps, snake charmer!
Joshua :smile:
If one of my flatmates brought a SNAKE into our flat I’d tell someone or ask to be moved. Don’t do it.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey,

In all honesty - you probably shouldn't. BUT. I, and others have hidden worse things than pets.
Inspections (don't hold me to this) generally consist of shared kitchen being cleaned. You will get alerts for when they want to check your bedroom, in which case if you're happy to put him under your bed. What they'll do is check your lights, your toilet, then leave.

I can't really condone it, because you may get into trouble if you're caught. If you were to do it, I would tell no one. You don't know who will grass on you, even your flatmates. Unless you think they're 100% safe.

Best bet is to go to a Uni house, way way easier to hide and sort it then.

Hope this helps, snake charmer!
Joshua :smile:

This is helpful, thanks :smile: I think you’re right that the biggest risk is my flatmates not being happy. I’ll leave him here for the first term
Original post by doodle_333
Halls vary a lot. I know someone who just used to put their hamster in the wardrobe and cover with clothes and pass inspections and others where they were very thorough and would potentially notice under the bed. The issue is I think you can't keep secrets in halls and snakes are definitely polarizing! If he's easy to transport maybe wait a term and then you can guage your flatmates reactions and how inspections are done.

Thank you! Really helpful
Am not encouraging you to break your tenancy contract i will just present the facts to you, obviously it's your decisions what to do.
I have a hamster at uni that i brought as was really struggling mental health wise and to me the small risk of getting caught was outweighed by how much joy and relief he brings to me.
It will differ for all accommodations but mine personally has only 2 inspections a year (minus the end of term leaving room inspection) and they have to give 2 weeks notice before coming so all i do is put him in the wardrobe every day for 2 weeks until they have gone. He's never been found and if they do find a pet they have to give you a warning to get rid of it then come back to inspect so all i would do in that instance is give him to a friend and then just take him back after that inspection.
You have to bear in mind the holidays though, for instance if you go home would your python be ok on it's own? I take my hamster back on the train as i have a cage at home i just put him in. I feel like a vivarium wouldnt be very easy to transport and unfortunately with something like a snake if a flatmate found out about it they could report it out of fear (even if said fear is irrational)
Maybe wait until you are in private accommodation as some private landlords will allow you to keep contained animals like snakes and hamsters if you pay a small fee deposit (that would be used if the animal got out and broke something for instance)
Original post by CoolCavy
Am not encouraging you to break your tenancy contract i will just present the facts to you, obviously it's your decisions what to do.
I have a hamster at uni that i brought as was really struggling mental health wise and to me the small risk of getting caught was outweighed by how much joy and relief he brings to me.
It will differ for all accommodations but mine personally has only 2 inspections a year (minus the end of term leaving room inspection) and they have to give 2 weeks notice before coming so all i do is put him in the wardrobe every day for 2 weeks until they have gone. He's never been found and if they do find a pet they have to give you a warning to get rid of it then come back to inspect so all i would do in that instance is give him to a friend and then just take him back after that inspection.
You have to bear in mind the holidays though, for instance if you go home would your python be ok on it's own? I take my hamster back on the train as i have a cage at home i just put him in. I feel like a vivarium wouldnt be very easy to transport and unfortunately with something like a snake if a flatmate found out about it they could report it out of fear (even if said fear is irrational)
Maybe wait until you are in private accommodation as some private landlords will allow you to keep contained animals like snakes and hamsters if you pay a small fee deposit (that would be used if the animal got out and broke something for instance)

This was useful to hear, thank you. Your method of moving your hamster for inspections was my original plan but I think someone would still report me pretty quick. The vivarium is actually pretty easy to move, I only need a car for it. I’ll wait and see how the inspections run & how snake-phobic my flatmates are :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending