The Student Room Group

English Literature

Hey guys. My school requires us to do Eng lit and we have our mocks in 2 weeks time. I have no idea how to write an analysis for an unseen poem... Could anyone give me some tips to help me structure it better? Thanks!
Things to think about when analysing an unseen poem:
- Work out what the poem is about
- Identify any themes/messages
- Identify the attitudes/feelings portrayed
- Identify the poetic techniques used
- Explore your personal response to the poem
Reply 2
Watch Mr Bruff
Reply 3
Original post by Zzzzzzz17
Things to think about when analysing an unseen poem:
- Work out what the poem is about
- Identify any themes/messages
- Identify the attitudes/feelings portrayed
- Identify the poetic techniques used
- Explore your personal response to the poem

But how can I identify them in limited time? And usually, the poems are really abstract.
Original post by JC53
But how can I identify them in limited time? And usually, the poems are really abstract.

Well you just have to read the poem and you can usually tell what the narrator is trying to portray through their words and identifying techniques only requires you to skim over the poem once more (and previously know some commonly used language and structural techniques). It can be challenging but it gets easier with practice.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JC53

I would also suggest watching Youtube videos which explain it all in detail. Like @JICMB77 suggested, Mr Bruff is a really good channel and I would also recommend Stacey Reay.
Reply 6
I would also suggest watching Youtube videos which explain it all in detail. Like @JICMB77 suggested, Mr Bruff is a really good channel and I would also recommend Stacey Reay.

Thank you!
Original post by JC53
Thank you!

No problem and good luck with your mocks!
Reply 8
No problem and good luck with your mocks!

Thank you so much!
Original post by JC53
Thank you so much!

:smile:
Reply 10
:smile:

Hey, I require assistance once again. I have practiced some unseens but have reached a dilemma, there is basically no one to help me mark it! I have no idea how to improve. What should I do? Btw, my teacher does not go through these stuff lol.
Original post by JC53
Hey, I require assistance once again. I have practiced some unseens but have reached a dilemma, there is basically no one to help me mark it! I have no idea how to improve. What should I do? Btw, my teacher does not go through these stuff lol.

Teachers are normally very supportive with this kind of thing so you might want to ask your teacher and they might mark it for you outside of lesson time. If not, then I'm pretty sure any english teachers at your school would be willing to help. Also, if you know which past papers the poems were from, you could go through mark schemes and read examiners' reports/comments and self-mark that way :yy:
Reply 12
Teachers are normally very supportive with this kind of thing so you might want to ask your teacher and they might mark it for you outside of lesson time. If not, then I'm pretty sure any english teachers at your school would be willing to help. Also, if you know which past papers the poems were from, you could go through mark schemes and read examiners' reports/comments and self-mark that way :yy:

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending