_cece_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have no motivation left to carry on with my A-levels but I’m so scared to fail. My grandparents passed away in the space of 5 months in my first year of A levels and ever since then I feel like my world has been turned upside down. I took like 2 months off for bereavement because it was too much for me to bare and I couldn’t focus at all. My grandma used to live with me and I was so close to her. I just about scraped through to 2nd year and I’m so scared to disappoint my parents and I’m scared to fail but I have no motivation and I feel so down all the time. I have contemplated so many times and I have been advised by my sister to go to the doctors regarding my mental health but I’m too scared. I feel like there’s so much pressure on me and I’ve had numerous breakdowns not only in front of my family but by myself too. I’ve changed my course once before and I’m still not happy. I’m 18 now so this is endgame for me it’s either I get the grades for these A levels or it’s nothing. I know I need these A levels because without them I won’t be able to do anything with my life. I feel like I don’t know what to do anymore. Please any advice, help or guidance would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Last edited by _cece_; 2 months ago
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _cece_)
I have no motivation left to carry on with my A-levels but I’m so scared to fail. My grandparents passed away in the space of 5 months in my first year of A levels and ever since then I feel like my world has been turned upside down. I took like 2 months off for bereavement because it was too much for me to bare and I couldn’t focus at all. My grandma used to live with me and I was so close to her. I just about scraped through to 2nd year and I’m so scared to disappoint my parents and I’m scared to fail but I have no motivation and I feel so down all the time. I have contemplated so many times and I have been advised by my sister to go to the doctors regarding my mental health but I’m too embarrassed. I feel like there’s so much pressure on me and I’ve had numerous breakdowns not only in front of my family but by myself too. I’ve changed my course once before and I’m still not happy. I’m 18 now so this is endgame for me it’s either I get the grades for these A levels or it’s nothing. I know I need these A levels because without them I won’t be able to do anything with my life. I feel like I don’t know what to do anymore. Please any advice, help or guidance would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Firstly, A levels are less important thsn your mental health. You could take a year off from A levels. Secondly, you are too proud to actually get bereavement counselling and also guidance from your doctor to help you through! What do you think your beloved grandparents would have advised you to do?
_cece_
Rep:
?
Thank you
xnyxnx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have no motivation left to carry on with my A-levels but I’m so scared to fail. My grandparents passed away in the space of 5 months in my first year of A levels and ever since then I feel like my world has been turned upside down. I took like 2 months off for bereavement because it was too much for me to bare and I couldn’t focus at all. My grandma used to live with me and I was so close to her. I just about scraped through to 2nd year and I’m so scared to disappoint my parents and I’m scared to fail but I have no motivation and I feel so down all the time. I have contemplated so many times and I have been advised by my sister to go to the doctors regarding my mental health but I’m too embarrassed. I feel like there’s so much pressure on me and I’ve had numerous breakdowns not only in front of my family but by myself too. I’ve changed my course once before and I’m still not happy. I’m 18 now so this is endgame for me it’s either I get the grades for these A levels or it’s nothing. I know I need these A levels because without them I won’t be able to do anything with my life. I feel like I don’t know what to do anymore. Please any advice, help or guidance would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Hi Cece, I am so sorry for your loss and the impact that it had on you. You're going through a hard time on top of another because A-levels are a stress of their own. I personally think you're pressuring yourself too much in terms of time and opportunities- you need an actual break where you're not even thinking about studies but just about your mental health and general health. You're not in a good place right now and that is NOTHING to be embarrassed about; there are people who love you and will understand you regardless of how hard you find it to explain yourself. But at the end of the day you have yourself first and its up to you to get all the help you might want and need but thats not something embarrassing- asking for help is not embarrassing so please dont be scared to approach anyone. I am sure your grandparents would want you to succeed at a-levels but like anyone else they want you to feel happy with yourself. They would want you to take things slowly at your own pace even if that means taking a gap year or retaking your A-levels; theres no shame in that! Take your time exploring all options you have, research and decide for own benefit- be your own motivation and let your grandparents also motivate because all they did was love you and want the best for you and they still do, so for their sake try loving yourself and doing the best for you. They would be proud of you reaching out and taking small steps, so you should be proud of yourself too.

I wish you all the best x
_cece_
Rep:
?
I really don’t know..
_cece_
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
Firstly, A levels are less important thsn your mental health. You could take a year off from A levels. Secondly, you are too proud to actually get bereavement counselling and also guidance from your doctor to help you through! What do you think your beloved grandparents would have advised you to do?
My parents are strict when it comes to education and I’m a quiet person I’m not one to get help when I need it because I’m scared. My grandma always told me to follow my dreams :’( Thank you.
_cece_
Rep:
?
(Original post by xnyxnx)
Hi Cece, I am so sorry for your loss and the impact that it had on you. You're going through a hard time on top of another because A-levels are a stress of their own. I personally think you're pressuring yourself too much in terms of time and opportunities- you need an actual break where you're not even thinking about studies but just about your mental health and general health. You're not in a good place right now and that is NOTHING to be embarrassed about; there are people who love you and will understand you regardless of how hard you find it to explain yourself. But at the end of the day you have yourself first and its up to you to get all the help you might want and need but thats not something embarrassing- asking for help is not embarrassing so please dont be scared to approach anyone. I am sure your grandparents would want you to succeed at a-levels but like anyone else they want you to feel happy with yourself. They would want you to take things slowly at your own pace even if that means taking a gap year or retaking your A-levels; theres no shame in that! Take your time exploring all options you have, research and decide for own benefit- be your own motivation and let your grandparents also motivate because all they did was love you and want the best for you and they still do, so for their sake try loving yourself and doing the best for you. They would be proud of you reaching out and taking small steps, so you should be proud of yourself too.

I wish you all the best x
Thank you so much. That hit me seriously. Thank you for taking your time out to write that. You have no idea how much I seriously needed to read something like this. Thank you so much for being kind.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
xnyxnx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you so much. That hit me seriously. Thank you for taking your time out to write that. You have no idea how much I seriously needed to read something like this. Thank you so much for being
My parents are strict when it comes to education and I’m a quiet person I’m not one to get help when I need it because I’m scared. My grandma always told me to follow my dreams :’( Thank you
You dont need to thank me, i am happy to have helped and know that you're strong enough to help yourself too.
And i completely get you in that sense; im a very quiet girl too and my parents are strict about everything. They dont understand the importance and consequences of mental health so its up to us to do best for ourselves. A dark time like this listen to what your grandma said, there will be an end and there will be good things- even if you dont know what your dream is right now have a simple goal that you can achieve.
I know you can do it
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You dont need to thank me, i am happy to have helped and know that you're strong enough to help yourself too.
And i completely get you in that sense; im a very quiet girl too and my parents are strict about everything. They dont understand the importance and consequences of mental health so its up to us to do best for ourselves. A dark time like this listen to what your grandma said, there will be an end and there will be good things- even if you dont know what your dream is right now have a simple goal that you can achieve.
I know you can do it
Good. And yes, he does need to thank you for being helpful to him. Manners and gratitude helps the world go round.
_cece_
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
Good. And yes, he does need to thank you for being helpful to him. Manners and gratitude helps the world go round.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. And I’m a ‘she’ x
_cece_
Rep:
?
I know you can do it
So glad there’s someone who understands absolute life saver, everything you said it’s so true honestly.. wish you all the best in everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (49)
75.38%
No I haven't decided yet (10)
15.38%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
9.23%

Watched Threads