Organ Donation Awareness Week! Watch

Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Do you want your body preserved so it doesn’t rot?
nah, it can rot, peacefully
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I opted in years ago. I'm not going to need anything when I'm dead and like others have said I'll probably get cremated and they'll go to waste anyway.

I've heard people before say they would donate everything but their eyes...why? You won't need them and they could actually help people to see (i.e donating the corneas). When my dad passed away due to his health he could only donate these and helped a blind person to see which is amazing. It can really impact and make a difference on the recipients life. Sadly too many people are waiting so long or never getting a transplant that they need. I'd hate for a family member or friend to not get the organ they needed and potentially pass away whilst waiting for an organ. Once I die I want my loved ones to be (even if only slightly) comforted by the fact I would be so happy if I could help to save or improve someone's life
BonsaiColony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
nah, it can rot, peacefully
Coffin or under a tree, do you want your body in contact with earth??
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BonsaiColony)
Coffin or under a tree, do you want your body in contact with earth??
can I have both? I don't really mind, as long as I'm buried, I heard funerals are expensive and stuff, just dig a hole in a nice sunny spot and lower me in, I don't have to be in coffin.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
I opted in years ago. I'm not going to need anything when I'm dead and like others have said I'll probably get cremated and they'll go to waste anyway.

I've heard people before say they would donate everything but their eyes...why? You won't need them and they could actually help people to see (i.e donating the corneas). When my dad passed away due to his health he could only donate these and helped a blind person to see which is amazing. It can really impact and make a difference on the recipients life. Sadly too many people are waiting so long or never getting a transplant that they need. I'd hate for a family member or friend to not get the organ they needed and potentially pass away whilst waiting for an organ. Once I die I want my loved ones to be (even if only slightly) comforted by the fact I would be so happy if I could help to save or improve someone's life
Personally I would find eyes the hardest to donate and I'm actually on the fence about it. I know the benefit it could have, but I guess I've got a bit of that "eyes are the window the the soul" thought in me. To me my eyes are something more special than anything else. They're sort of what makes me me and I am disturbed by the idea of being without them even when I'm dead. All my organs are just the squishy bits inside of me, my skin and tissue is just part of a whole (and probably quite useless anyway considering it's already failing me). My eyes though are unique. They are the part of me that's unique.

That said, that's a living me issue. I doubt my dead body will care all that much. And if they are so unique and special to me maybe I should help somebody else have their own special and unique eyes. And I guess I'd sort of live on through that a bit.

I don't know. I guess it'll be up to whoever survives me, but if you were to ask me for a decision now I really don't know I could do it.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
Stating the consequences of someone’s actions is completely fine and respectful, what I told that person was a fact and not a opinion.
And I’m not forcing any views on anyone I am just telling them what’s going to happen because of their choice.
I really don’t understand why you are suddenly against people asking questions and telling people the consequences of their actions, seems rather odd considering there are no opinions involved.

Regardless of whether you donate or don’t donate your organs, the fact is that someone might die because you chose not to donate, that’s not an opinion and that’s not me trying to force views on you that is just a fact...
PRSOM
rjckk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'll opt in, just you can take my organs whilst I'm still alive
Wow? Take your organ when you still alive?
Are you male or female? How old are you?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yaja_jaswal)
If you're alive, yes. What good will that do when you're dead?? What is selfish is not giving up organs you literally do not need to help a sick human.
Would you have this hostility towards someone who opts out for religious reasons? Or do you not believe in any form of autonomy that resides outside your conscious though?

Absolute fool
rjckk
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Would you have this hostility towards someone who opts out for religious reasons? Or do you not believe in any form of autonomy that resides outside your conscious though?

Absolute fool
She is a girl. please be polite to her
yaja_jaswal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Absolute fool
Did they say they would opt our for religious reasons? That's a whole other story. That, I respect. But they did not mention that in their reply to me. And calling someone selfish because they don't want to help people when they're dead is, in my opinion, just. Again, it's an opinion. We differ. Don't get your panties in a twist about it. My point is, why do you need autonomy after death? It doesn't matter at that point.
rjckk
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did they say they would opt our for religious reasons? That's a whole other story. That, I respect. But they did not mention that in their reply to me. And calling someone selfish because they don't want to help people when they're dead is, in my opinion, just. Again, it's an opinion. We differ. Don't get your panties in a twist about it. My point is, why do you need autonomy after death? It doesn't matter at that point.
I don't think he should be rude to a young girl
Spoiler:
Show
Sososnake
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
correct, it's not needed at all, God will give me a new one anyway when Jesus comes back.

because family members I know, other people are strangers who I don't know at all. I think it's up to the individual if they want to support others in this particular manner, I personally don't want to (not for religious reasons, just my own preference).
Fair enough. I just don’t want you to have made your decision based off of false information, but it seems not.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Personally I would find eyes the hardest to donate and I'm actually on the fence about it. I know the benefit it could have, but I guess I've got a bit of that "eyes are the window the the soul" thought in me. To me my eyes are something more special than anything else. They're sort of what makes me me and I am disturbed by the idea of being without them even when I'm dead. All my organs are just the squishy bits inside of me, my skin and tissue is just part of a whole (and probably quite useless anyway considering it's already failing me). My eyes though are unique. They are the part of me that's unique.

That said, that's a living me issue. I doubt my dead body will care all that much. And if they are so unique and special to me maybe I should help somebody else have their own special and unique eyes. And I guess I'd sort of live on through that a bit.

I don't know. I guess it'll be up to whoever survives me, but if you were to ask me for a decision now I really don't know I could do it.
I understand where you're coming from but blind people and people who were born without parts of their eyes, or perhaps any at all, don't just not have a soul I guess I'm more scientific in my view. I don't really believe in souls, and if they did exist they don't need physical items of our body to exist in my opinion - because people who have disabilities/genetic difference of course all have would souls still

Also especially if you're likely to get cremated then the eyes would only turn to ash and be wasted anyway - even with burial they would rot away - which is a shame for people who are waiting on those donations to be able to see
Last edited by BurstingBubbles; 2 weeks ago
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Strange to see that people disagree and point out how ridiculous they are but as soon as they say it’s for religious reasons then that’s absolutely fine!
Miriam29
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
Strange to see that people disagree and point out how ridiculous they are but as soon as they say it’s for religious reasons then that’s absolutely fine!
I agree. I think you can disagree with a religious reason due to its selfishness while also respecting their right to autonomy, for religious reasons or otherwise.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
"why do you need autonomy after death?"

The sanctity of a human, dead or alive must be respected. Though you might be dead, you still have value

I can explain the religious stance for those wondering. The reason some religions disallow organ donation is to preserve the human body's sanctity. The human body, a marvellous creation of God, is considered sacred and not to be mutilated alive or dead (I am not going to start debating on the existence of God, so don't try pls).

People will inevitably think that it is selfish of people to take an organ while not agreeing to donate one. Well, such is the stance of truly orthodox religious figures that you should rather let yourself die than take an organ transplant. This is fiercely debated within each religion as well.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Polite suggestion that this discussion be respectful. Regardless of their choice everyone has a right to one, and nobody here needs to criticise others for their decisions.
yaja_jaswal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"why do you need autonomy after death?"

JEEEEEZ, now I question whether you're a troll or not. The sanctity of a human, dead or alive must be respected. Though you might be dead, you still have value (idk about you specifically tho).

I can explain the religious stance for those wondering. The reason some religions disallow organ donation is to preserve the human body's sanctity. The human body, a marvellous creation of God, is considered sacred and not to be mutilated alive or dead (I am not going to start debating on the existence of God, so don't try pls).

People will inevitably think that it is selfish of people to take an organ while not agreeing to donate one. Well, such is the stance of truly orthodox religious figures that you should rather let yourself die than take an organ transplant. This is fiercely debated within each religion as well.
I was merely asking them why they need autonomy once dead. I did not intend to appear rude, I was genuinely curious. I do not understand the idea of that, but the only answer I have been receiving is "it's my body, I can do what I want" which to me is not food enough personally. I am merely curious
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was merely asking them why they need autonomy once dead. I did not intend to appear rude, I was genuinely curious. I do not understand the idea of that, but the only answer I have been receiving is "it's my body, I can do what I want" which to me is not good enough personally. I am merely curious
Whether an answer is not "good enough" for you is irrelevant. If somebody doesn't want to reply they don't have to.
rjckk
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Miriam29)
I agree. I think you can disagree with a religious reason due to its selfishness while also respecting their right to autonomy, for religious reasons or otherwise.
Will you donate your organ if you die?
How old are you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise