The Student Room Group

English Remark

I sent my English GCSE for a remark because I was originally given a Level 6 (which is basically a B grade). After being remarked, it's changed to a Level 8 and I'm 1 mark off a 9, do you think I should appeal to the exam board?
If you want to go through that process sure, otherwise an 8 is a fantastic grade. I personally wouldn't.
Original post by cheerIeader
If you want to go through that process sure, otherwise an 8 is a fantastic grade. I personally wouldn't.

do you know the process behind appealing to the exam board? Does it cost a lot of money and do you think that my mark could go down?
Original post by anikamehra7
do you know the process behind appealing to the exam board? Does it cost a lot of money and do you think that my mark could go down?

Appealing from what I know costs around £100 and because English is a subjective subject there is a chance that your mark could go down. If you lost the appeal then they would not refund you and take the whole amount of money.

Have you had ALL your English papers already remarked?
If you have then I would not recommend an appeal because a) your grade is fantastic already and b) because English is subjective, it's sad but the examiners could decide you deserve less/the same amount of marks.
Original post by anikamehra7
I sent my English GCSE for a remark because I was originally given a Level 6 (which is basically a B grade). After being remarked, it's changed to a Level 8 and I'm 1 mark off a 9, do you think I should appeal to the exam board?

You went from a 6 to an 8 which was one mark of a 9? wow 🤔😮😮
Original post by Ja78975
You went from a 6 to an 8 which was one mark of a 9? wow 🤔😮😮

it doesn't cost "£100" from personal experience I had my English lang remarked and only paid around £50 for both papers. I was 3-4 marks of if I remember correctly from the next grade boundary and I went up,it was risky for me because the mark might of went down but it went up, for you it's only 1 mark so it is usually recommended to get a remark if you are 1-2 marks off but not if you are more than 3-5 marks up.
I also heard that your money is refunded if the mark changes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ja78975
it doesn't cost "£100" from personal experience I had my English lang remarked and only paid around £50 for both papers. I was 3-4 marks of if I remember correctly from the next grade boundary and I went up, I also heard that your money is refunded if the mark changes.

OP is talking about appealing not having more papers remarked though. Appeals cost much more.
Original post by cheerIeader
OP is talking about appealing not having more papers remarked though. Appeals cost much more.

Sorry my mistake then I thought OP wanted to know the costs involved in getting a remark but appeals do cost more yes.

Quick Reply

Latest