Single Parent finances for University course Watch

JayRoo9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi. Are there any single parents out there who have made it work financially at University? I’m a single parent carer in privately rented accommodation. I’m worried that I won’t have enough to make ends meet - specifically rent. I have been awarded full funding from SFE but after rent that’s approximately £90/week left. So hard to find out what help I could get & how much. Really hoping I can make this work! Due to start in less than a fortnight. Any pointers/signposting gratefully received. Thanks for reading
Lizzillo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you full time? I'm in Wales but I've been given a parental learning allowance which is about £1700. Plus I get 85% of childcare paid for which leaves about £30 for me to pay a week for full time care. Plus I still qualify for universal credit as I'm a student with a child and an income now below the threshold. Honestly, look at benefits on the gov website and make an appointment to see them, you'll probably qualify for enough tj help with bills etc, plus you get a 25% discount on council tax.
JayRoo9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Lizzillo)
Are you full time? I'm in Wales but I've been given a parental learning allowance which is about £1700. Plus I get 85% of childcare paid for which leaves about £30 for me to pay a week for full time care. Plus I still qualify for universal credit as I'm a student with a child and an income now below the threshold. Honestly, look at benefits on the gov website and make an appointment to see them, you'll probably qualify for enough tj help with bills etc, plus you get a 25% discount on council tax.
Thank you. Who did you make an appointment with? Thanks again 😊
Lizzillo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JayRoo9)
Thank you. Who did you make an appointment with? Thanks again 😊
After I checked online for benefits, and it said I couldn't do onlinew asa a student, I made an appointment over the phone with my local job centre and they sorted me out, took until next month but its back dated. They need proof of acceptance into university and how much student fiance you'll be getting, but you should get enough to live off on top of the £90.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?