Complicated relationship status and household income confusion

Watch
Nursingdreamsxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi guys I'm in the process of applying for student finance for my final year and I'm running into some confusion. Bare with me its complicated.

For all purposes I am in my opinion a single parent. I pay the rent myself, all or my bills, all of my children's clothing and foods, their child care etc. Their father sees them regularly on his days off but makes no payments to me that are regular other than when I might borrow money off of him when things become tight but always pay him back.

My ex partner and I recently had our second son and for the birth certificate my address was used as he did not have a 'fixed place of residence' as he says with his mother and father and other family members at intervals for personal reasons. For all his documentation and any other important things he uses his mother's address as that's where he lived before his parents relationship broke down.

I have offered to let him move in with me so that he can see the boys more often (as he misses them dearly and they love seeing him which doesn't happen often enough in my opinion) I would have him put on the tenancy agreement so it's all done properly but he will be living here and it'll be classed as shared accommodation. He will not make any payments to me but to the landlord directly. He will have his own bedroom.and buy his own food and supplied as well as doing his own laundry.

However I am worried that student finance will see this as me living with my partner. I am currently in a new relationship and he is currently seeing someone new. We have no romantic relationship and he in no way offers me financial assistance and won't even if he moved intk the property.

However I do not want to let this happen if it'll have an effect on my student finance. He doesn't earn a lot but does still have a full time income which is more than mine and I don't want this to affect my funding.

He is involved in my life vwcayde we have children together there is no escaping this, I can prove that all of his mail and accounts are registered at his mother's address however I'm worried that my address is on our child's birth certificate and I need to send this in to have my childcare allowance reviewed. I can prove I am in a new relationship and that he doesn't send me any regular money - so will I still be counted as single? Or would I need to declare his income even though I have never seen a penny from his wages? Also if I don't allow him to move in do I need to send a cover letter to explain why he's at the same address on the birth certificate?

It's a really complicated situation and as much as I would like to help him out in his situation I can't put myself in a position where I struggle financially in my last year at university I find it hard enough as it is especially with two children under two that eat all my income with their childcare alone .

Many thanks for reading!!
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Nursingdreamsxo)
Hi guys I'm in the process of applying for student finance for my final year and I'm running into some confusion. Bare with me its complicated.

For all purposes I am in my opinion a single parent. I pay the rent myself, all or my bills, all of my children's clothing and foods, their child care etc. Their father sees them regularly on his days off but makes no payments to me that are regular other than when I might borrow money off of him when things become tight but always pay him back.

My ex partner and I recently had our second son and for the birth certificate my address was used as he did not have a 'fixed place of residence' as he says with his mother and father and other family members at intervals for personal reasons. For all his documentation and any other important things he uses his mother's address as that's where he lived before his parents relationship broke down.

I have offered to let him move in with me so that he can see the boys more often (as he misses them dearly and they love seeing him which doesn't happen often enough in my opinion) I would have him put on the tenancy agreement so it's all done properly but he will be living here and it'll be classed as shared accommodation. He will not make any payments to me but to the landlord directly. He will have his own bedroom.and buy his own food and supplied as well as doing his own laundry.

However I am worried that student finance will see this as me living with my partner. I am currently in a new relationship and he is currently seeing someone new. We have no romantic relationship and he in no way offers me financial assistance and won't even if he moved intk the property.

However I do not want to let this happen if it'll have an effect on my student finance. He doesn't earn a lot but does still have a full time income which is more than mine and I don't want this to affect my funding.

He is involved in my life vwcayde we have children together there is no escaping this, I can prove that all of his mail and accounts are registered at his mother's address however I'm worried that my address is on our child's birth certificate and I need to send this in to have my childcare allowance reviewed. I can prove I am in a new relationship and that he doesn't send me any regular money - so will I still be counted as single? Or would I need to declare his income even though I have never seen a penny from his wages? Also if I don't allow him to move in do I need to send a cover letter to explain why he's at the same address on the birth certificate?

It's a really complicated situation and as much as I would like to help him out in his situation I can't put myself in a position where I struggle financially in my last year at university I find it hard enough as it is especially with two children under two that eat all my income with their childcare alone .

Many thanks for reading!!
Hello,

As you said this is a complicated situation as technically you are not living with a co-habiting partner as you are separated from the person in question.

Our assessors do deal with cases where an ex-partner is still living at the same address.

If your marital status hasn't changed from your previous years on the course (still separated for example as you're not living with a current partner), we shouldn't require any evidence of this and you are fine to leave it as separated, as this only refers to co-habiting current partners.

If for whatever reason we did want marital evidence which is unlikely, you can then send one of these items:

- Solicitors letter confirming separation.
- A signed affidavit.
- Statutory declaration.

The final option is the least expensive as it only requires a signature from you to be witnessed by a legal representative.

Warm Regards, Dean.
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Nursingdreamsxo)
Hello Dean!

Thank you so much for this.

Myself and my ex partner were never married so I have always applied as single, as we were only in a relationship not a marriage prior to out first born. I do not have any of the above as proof of marital status as it's never been a marriage.

Shall I put separated on my next year's application along with a covering letter explaining why I have put single down on previous years? Or just a letter to explain their father will be moving in but for application purposes we are not a cohabiting couple? I dont want to get into trouble but also want student finance to have the right information on their systems

Kind regards
Hi there,

I recommend that you send us a private message via Facebook or Twitter to allow us to look into your account and funding in regards to you marital status. I recommend that you include this thread into your query so the advisor can have an understanding of your circumstances.

Thanks,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (257)
33.86%
No (502)
66.14%

Watched Threads