Unremarkable ventures III

Watch
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
Yeah i thought that was the case but when seminar tutors are like have a look at them I'm like so we do need to read them?
with law u kinda need to look at them for like the cases and stuff.... yay :rofl:

I know wat u mean same here :five:
yeah i don't like how open ended humanities are in that sense. in maths it's as simple as know what's on the syllabus, apply it, and if you get everything right you'll get full marks. of course, i wouldn't just do that because I like maths. in humanities I gather it's a lot less clear cut with some arbitrary limits placed on marks.
_gcx
Rep:
?
probably comfortable enough now to only go to lectures I need to. probably going to miss all my lectures today. (mathematical techniques is a meme by this point, analysis similarly, and DEs I've only got to learn the last section which I'll probably do before the lecturer gets to it)

i would go to year 2 lectures, but it's halfway through term so probably too late. as i said earlier i'll go to y2 norms metrics and topologies, number theory and possibly a third (which could be theory of ODEs, which apparently has an actual proper treatment of differential equations rather than the handwavy/applied stuff this year or algebra II [which catches up abstract algebra to about cam IB GRM level after lagging behind in first year]) depending on how much time i have. does mean 9ams - but i'll actually want to go to them.

will do some stuff on the 1 month break between terms but my plans atm are ambitious and depend on me being motivated enough.
SilentSolitaire
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ah well, at least then you're not getting bored in lectures? And oooh, those classes sound nice! Hope you manage to go to some of them next term.

Hope you feel slightly more motivated soon (but please do remember that it's okay to take breaks! Even if that's like whole terms because sometimes you do actually need to take that long off... )
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
:hugs: Do whatever you need to, going to lectures of things you're already good at would be boring tbf...especially if everyone else is like me and never has a clue what's going on at the time!
_gcx
Rep:
?
(Original post by SilentSolitaire)
Ah well, at least then you're not getting bored in lectures? And oooh, those classes sound nice! Hope you manage to go to some of them next term.

Hope you feel slightly more motivated soon (but please do remember that it's okay to take breaks! Even if that's like whole terms because sometimes you do actually need to take that long off... )
Yeah, it's just unproductive to sit in a lecture for an hour without paying attention. I will, unless I oversleep. With Analysis III, I wasn't really comfortable in the environment and couldn't really muster the confidence to go to a y2 lecture. Now, I think it'll be fine. I'll just sit at the back. I know someone in second year who I can possibly go with.

I hope so. I don't want to start thinking of how far I would be (not just in knowledge) at cam with the confidence boost it'd have given. Need to catch up to and exceed that. I know taking breaks is fine, but being demotivated isn't like me. The disparity between where I am and where I want to be is just overwhelming at times, (strangely, I think I'm holding myself to higher standards than I would have at cam) and the prospect of it not being fixed for another 2 years is just saddening.

I've become less over it with time and I anticipate that trend to continue...
Last edited by _gcx; 5 months ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
:hugs: Do whatever you need to, going to lectures of things you're already good at would be boring tbf...especially if everyone else is like me and never has a clue what's going on at the time!
I'm sure you're more clued than you make out.

There are some people that are genuinely clueless. Someone apparently managed to get 0 on an assignment despite making a full attempt, which is somehow more impressive than getting full marks.
_gcx
Rep:
?
I'll try to make these updates more honest and blunt. I've been worried of appearing arrogant for ages, but I don't think in reality many people care and would rather just hear my experience as it is. I might as well go through everything since I didn't really address the last thread, and everything is very fragmented throughout the thread.

To make everything clearer briefly - I applied to Cambridge and it was my firm choice and I was very much set on going there. But then I did what I consider to be pretty abysmal in STEP. I thought STEP II was fairly average but STEP III was awful. Expected something like 1, 2 with the 1 mid and the 2 high. Considering how much hard work I put into it all and what I was getting in past papers, the prospect of even this was disappointing - but then I was floored to actually get a high 2 in STEP II (and a high 2 in STEP III as I expected). I have absolutely no idea how it happened, still. I was sure I did better, but obviously not. I have no-one to blame except myself of course. I worked through the questions completely calmly and still didn't do well - clearly it's an ability issue of sorts. But with those results I still had a fighting chance in the pool (in fact, someone with very very similar results to mine, only a mark or two higher, last year got in without even being pooled. same college), but I got rejected. It was close enough to justify getting a remark but it didn't change.

A lot of people were very shocked (I was quite comfortably meeting 1, 1+ in past papers) and encouraged me to reapply. I said no under the impression warwick was a similar level to cambridge. Plus my parents were very against me having a year of doing nothing. In particular I didn't want to have to get a job. Freshers' was great and I went into lectures hopeful, but the academic experience after that has just been extremely underwhelming. I realised like, a week or so into lectures that I had made a mistake but by this point it was very shortly before the early UCAS deadline so I couldn't realistically reapply in time. Even if I did, I'd have been liable for some fees and it could've had implications on student finance. This makes me massively regret not listening to those people, and instead insisting on not going to warwick and getting a job, and reapplying oxford or cambridge. Unfortunately neither of these universities do second year entry for people who completed their first year at a UK uni. If they did - I wouldn't even contemplate year 2 here stuff yet.

So I'm stuck at a university I did very little research into, and unhappy on the course. I like the social aspects, but since the two things are very separate in my mind it does very little to mitigate anything... I intend to leave at the earliest possible opportunity (ie. going down to the BSc) and apply to masters elsewhere, results permitting. Definitely to Cambridge Part III if I get good enough marks, (for which I could do some 4th year courses in year 3 which is very easy to do here) maybe OMMS, and probably some american unis too. No intention, right now, of getting a masters here. I believe I should be looking to get an 80 or 85% average, at least over my first two years, (the actual offer might just say get a first) to have a good chance. To give an idea of relatives, at cambridge you'd need about 67% for guaranteed admission. No idea about the standard for the OMMS and the american uni stuff is all in terms of GPA and GRE which I haven't researched yet.

So that's basically where I am now. While I've been getting approximately full on everything so far, I'm unsure how my exam performance will be. Not even sure if I can pull this off. Hoping I can. Should go to bed now.

Might as well tag, to get everyone up to speed on where everything is:

entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i'm sorry things are going this way :console:
are you still hoping to do a straight math degree at warwick?
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
I'm sure you're more clued than you make out.

There are some people that are genuinely clueless. Someone apparently managed to get 0 on an assignment despite making a full attempt, which is somehow more impressive than getting full marks.
I mean I am and I'm not...I rarely understand the lecture at the time (at least in part because I'm often so far behind writing notes that I'm basically not listening), some modules fixing that only takes doing the homework carefully, others I can scrape through the homework without really understanding (and then strangely there's probability which I should actually really like but I have basically 0 clue what's going on at all)
Okay, getting 0 on a homework when trying is pretty extreme, here most people are getting A/Bs which is 70%+ (albeit on fairly meaningless things and like 3 questions at a time)
:hugs:
_gcx
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
i'm sorry things are going this way :console:
are you still hoping to do a straight math degree at warwick?
Nothing has changed at all, still unsure.

It's just that my situation is kind of fragmented throughout the thread and I never really explained what happened surrounding results day - so I thought I should put it all in one post.
_gcx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
I mean I am and I'm not...I rarely understand the lecture at the time (at least in part because I'm often so far behind writing notes that I'm basically not listening), some modules fixing that only takes doing the homework carefully, others I can scrape through the homework without really understanding (and then strangely there's probability which I should actually really like but I have basically 0 clue what's going on at all)
Okay, getting 0 on a homework when trying is pretty extreme, here most people are getting A/Bs which is 70%+ (albeit on fairly meaningless things and like 3 questions at a time)
:hugs:
Being challenged like that is good - I'm sure it keeps you on your toes, and being forced to go over it like that probably results in a higher level of understanding. Scraping through without understanding probably isn't so good - at least you have a while to remedy that. Ah we don't have any sort of letter grade. And it's interesting that there is distinction between different levels of a first. We're not really given classes along with marks. On Tabula (where our results are uploaded) each component of a module has a class so we will end up getting a class for our assignments for each module. The people in my supervision group are decent... but I've heard of some awfully low marks in mathematical techniques. The joint degree people are on average at a lower level to the straight maths people, (easy to see why looking at entry standards) so these are probably more common there.
Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm sorry to read the last few updates. It does sound like going elsewhere for further study would be best for you given how unhappy you are with the course. Can understand why you don't want to go to lectures, it's hard enough going in when you're learning stuff for the first time, never mind if you just know you'll be bored the whole time.

I hope things improve and that you're able to feel more motivated soon. Have you looked at the sort of things you'll be studying in semester 2?
_gcx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protostar)
I'm sorry to read the last few updates. It does sound like going elsewhere for further study would be best for you given how unhappy you are with the course. Can understand why you don't want to go to lectures, it's hard enough going in when you're learning stuff for the first time, never mind if you just know you'll be bored the whole time.

I hope things improve and that you're able to feel more motivated soon. Have you looked at the sort of things you'll be studying in semester 2?
the main reason I go to lectures is because my flatmates go and I felt like I'd be a bit of a ****** saying no. But I'm tired of it, I'm not really in the mood for caring about that sort of stuff anymore. trying to engineering expectations to make people not expect so/too highly of me like they did in the past didn't work, so I have no real reason to. I'm like halfway through intro to abstract algebra but I think I'll go to some of the lectures (starting monday) because the lecturer has a kind of legendary reputation around warwick as I mentioned before (siksek). I think I'd be able to motivate myself more if it was new stuff.

yeah, I think I've covered a considerable amount of geometry and motion in IA vector calculus reading, but I'd hardly say I've done it. linear algebra I haven't really done anything for. it's never really caught my eye as an area. stats lab and progsci I hope are interesting, but I hear the latter attracts very very high marks as a coursework based module so that'll be nice.
Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
the main reason I go to lectures is because my flatmates go and I felt like I'd be a bit of a ****** saying no. But I'm tired of it, I'm not really in the mood for caring about that sort of stuff anymore. trying to engineering expectations to make people not expect so/too highly of me like they did in the past didn't work, so I have no real reason to. I'm like halfway through intro to abstract algebra but I think I'll go to some of the lectures (starting monday) because the lecturer has a kind of legendary reputation around warwick as I mentioned before (siksek). I think I'd be able to motivate myself more if it was new stuff.

yeah, I think I've covered a considerable amount of geometry and motion in IA vector calculus reading, but I'd hardly say I've done it. linear algebra I haven't really done anything for. it's never really caught my eye as an area. stats lab and progsci I hope are interesting, but I hear the latter attracts very very high marks as a coursework based module so that'll be nice.
I guess it is good to get in the habit of going, but I can understand not wanting to. Hopefully the legendary lecturer is as good as expected! Yeah I can get that, if I found a lot of the content boring I'd struggle to motivate myself too.

At least you've left some stuff to do when it actually comes to it I don't find linear algebra all too inspiring either. I hope they'll be interesting too! High marks is always a good thing
_gcx
Rep:
?
I guess it is good to get in the habit of going, but I can understand not wanting to. Hopefully the legendary lecturer is as good as expected! Yeah I can get that, if I found a lot of the content boring I'd struggle to motivate myself too.

At least you've left some stuff to do when it actually comes to it I don't find linear algebra all too inspiring either. I hope they'll be interesting too! High marks is always a good thing
Well, I've been told his lectures are basically the same as the notes, and you'd be no worse off. Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but the lecturer for Sets and Numbers last year, Daan Krammer had recommended in a previous year for people to forego lectures for the course he was lecturing and use the notes. Students pressed not to have him again for Sets and Numbers this year. Though he's apparently a bad lecturer, he is a genius and his notes look great. I'd go for the entertainment the lecturer gives.

Luckily, it's mainly computation so shouldn't be too bad. Linear algebra isn't inspiring in itself but it is a prerequisite for higher algebra and analysis modules, so I'll need to like it. Yeah I'm obviously trying to maximise my marks so a module I can get a high average in is good. [While first year is only 10% of my final classification, I'm unsure how they take the average for masters applications. I'm not sure if the average they list is predicted or the weighted average of y1/y2. If it's the latter - first year will contribute like 25%, because it's 10/30/60 on the BSc, which isn't a small amount.]
Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Well, I've been told his lectures are basically the same as the notes, and you'd be no worse off. Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but the lecturer for Sets and Numbers last year, Daan Krammer had recommended in a previous year for people to forego lectures for the course he was lecturing and use the notes. Students pressed not to have him again for Sets and Numbers this year. Though he's apparently a bad lecturer, he is a genius and his notes look great. I'd go for the entertainment the lecturer gives.

Luckily, it's mainly computation so shouldn't be too bad. Linear algebra isn't inspiring in itself but it is a prerequisite for higher algebra and analysis modules, so I'll need to like it. Yeah I'm obviously trying to maximise my marks so a module I can get a high average in is good. [While first year is only 10% of my final classification, I'm unsure how they take the average for masters applications. I'm not sure if the average they list is predicted or the weighted average of y1/y2. If it's the latter - first year will contribute like 25%, because it's 10/30/60 on the BSc, which isn't a small amount.]
Sometimes it is just nice to have someone go through things rather than just reading and learning on your own, and sometimes they do say little extra bits that are worth writing down that you wouldn't hear otherwise. Bit weird that he'd advise against attending his own lectures!

Ahhh okay, that makes sense. I haven't really thought about what I want to do in 3rd/4th year yet Didn't realise first year counts for you, even if it is just a small amount! It does make sense when you put it like that though, I'd never thought about averages for Masters applications since I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stay on the integrated one I'm currently on. 25% is a decent chunk though, so I can understand why you want to do as well as possible for that reason! (as well as the obvious wanting to do well in general)
_gcx
Rep:
?
Sometimes it is just nice to have someone go through things rather than just reading and learning on your own, and sometimes they do say little extra bits that are worth writing down that you wouldn't hear otherwise. Bit weird that he'd advise against attending his own lectures!

Ahhh okay, that makes sense. I haven't really thought about what I want to do in 3rd/4th year yet Didn't realise first year counts for you, even if it is just a small amount! It does make sense when you put it like that though, I'd never thought about averages for Masters applications since I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stay on the integrated one I'm currently on. 25% is a decent chunk though, so I can understand why you want to do as well as possible for that reason! (as well as the obvious wanting to do well in general)
Yeah I totally understand people's preference of going to lectures and listening to explanations - I just find that their explanations are pretty much the same as the notes, except from small variations, and I don't have much issue learning from books. I know that books aren't for everyone though. I guess because he also subscribes to the view that it's just as valuable or more valuable to go through the notes yourself at your own pace.

I haven't either, in detail. I want to keep my options as broad as possible in the first two years - though I think I can safely discard stuff I really have no interest in at all. Algebra (I and II) and Analysis are both core in Year 2, so you can't really dodge against being broad in the third year. It's probably pretty hard to dodge algebra altogether in higher level maths, but I'm enjoying the latter half of Introduction to Abstract Algebra I started last night, so I don't think this'll be an issue. One thing I don't really plan on taking is the very applied computationy stuff. The warwick course has a lot of stuff on DEs, but I don't really like how applied the year 1 DEs course is, so I don't think I'll be taking those. Yeah, 10% is no big deal overall but applying for masters it might be. If I had the grades to go to a top-top uni for masters I'd definitely seize the opportunity, especially if it then gives me the upper hand in PhD applications (there is preference for people already at a university in masters admissions at that university, so I'd assume similar is true for PhDs too) if I choose to go down that path. I'll have to do some more research into applications, but I have a while. Then again, I had an idea of where I was applying to university in year 12, so it wouldn't be too far fetched to start looking around around the second year.
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry to hear about what your going through . Yes sometimes uni can be disappointing and not to our standards and then we fall into this spiral of regretting our choices in the first place.

You just have to stay strong at this point I really hope things do get better and you don't feel like your going to lecturers for the sake of it because that's just going to have a negative impact on your further. Try set yourself challenges or something?

Best of luck with everything and take care :hugs:
_gcx
Rep:
?
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
Sorry to hear about what your going through . Yes sometimes uni can be disappointing and not to our standards and then we fall into this spiral of regretting our choices in the first place.

You just have to stay strong at this point I really hope things do get better and you don't feel like your going to lecturers for the sake of it because that's just going to have a negative impact on your further. Try set yourself challenges or something?

Best of luck with everything and take care :hugs:
The thing is - I couldn't really have done my choices any differently. I could've applied Oxford, but otherwise there wouldn't really be in a situation in which I'd be content with things. That sounds awful, lol. Maybe I could've applied to American universities, but their admissions sidelines academics and forces you to be broad for a while. So I may have had a similar issue having to go to non-maths classes.

Well, aiming for a 80%+ (it gets a lot less clear cut... for admission into undergrad they publish exactly what grades you need. Don't actually have any clue what I should be looking to get, I just surmise that it should be 80% or above based on what I've read. I gather the "minimum requirement" is just "your application isn't immediately thrown out if you meet this") average to a) transfer out of mathstat and b) get into Part III is probably a challenge enough. (though I can do the latter without the former, I'd just be doing stats courses instead)

I need to do more stats reading so I can make an informed choice whether to transfer off of mathstat, since I really don't know at the moment.

Thanks, you too.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Trying to get off my arse a bit. I tried doing that by researching what typical marks for successful applicants to Part III are/any de facto requirements. But the fact it scales with how hard your undergrad is doesn't make that any easier. No idea if Warwick stands any better in their eyes than any other top non-oxbridge unis. All I've been able to find are guesses ranging from like 75 to 85. So there goes that idea. Fwiw similarly to how threads I/II were about getting into Cambridge, provisionally (in more concrete terms: when it becomes clear I'm not good enough) it seems like III/IV/V will be too... (intend to keep this going on the off-chance it actually works out) It does feel bad that I haven't really accomplished anything I'm proud of in the last two years, and all my hard work basically amounted to nothing at all. (then again this might just be sadboi hours talking...) Can't talk much about lectures, went to 1/7 in the past two days just because my flatmate dragged me along. Routine has generally been bed at ~5, get up about 1, (which at cam would mean all lectures missed lol) possibly go to some lectures.

As to courses:

• Mathematical Analysis - Don't remember how many lectures I missed, but I have had all the term 1 assignments sitting finished on my computer for a fair while, so I really have no motivation to go to any of the remaining ones. Term 1 is diabolically easy and is covered in literally 6 lectures by Cambridge. (a fifth of the time... for straight maths about an eighth of the time) Should do past papers at some point, but that'll probably be over christmas since there's not many. It would be fitting with the trend if I did very well on the past papers to then pull a high 2:1 or something. Lecturer probably still pretty good, just wish he was teaching us something harder.
  • Sets and Numbers - The multiple choices tests are straightforward. Dropped a mark on the last two though through oversight. More or less done with the learning for this one. Exam in January joint with analysis.
  • Mathematical Techniques - Just finished the last assignment which is due in about a week. Hoping I can maintain the trend of previous homeworks considering the assignments make up 20% of this module. Exam in December - should think what to put on the "cheat sheet" we're allowed and do some past papers. The whole course was basically logic and set theory, with a bit of counting. Disgusting but nothing complicated. Course description said there'd be some geometry and calculus which have not manifested yet. Hoping to get a good mark on this to set myself off on the right foot.
  • Differential Equations - Just started on the fifth out of 5 example sheets (due in about a month I think). Section A is pretty ghastly with these sheets. They seem to be there for people who can happily sit there and solve like 10 consecutive DEs/difference equations. Reminds me too much of A-level which we should really be past. Section A is always mindless computation, boring, and takes a while to make sure you haven't made any algebraic slips. Numbers are not picked to work out nicely, giving random eyesore fractions like 22/51. Section B questions seem mostly standard, despite warnings of "very tricky questions". Section C (extension questions) don't really have much interesting. I only really know half of what's on example sheet 5 so need to learn the last bits. (simultaneous DEs, with fun eigenstuff etc.) Have been doing well in assignments and hope to keep this up.
  • Introduction to Abstract Algebra - Feel I'm really going to like algebra despite my initial hesitation to start. Having a lot of fun with it - and it manages to squeeze a respectable amount into just 5 weeks teaching, with the usual amount of lectures per week. Just coming to start the third example sheet/4. After that, I'll see what's in IA Groups that wasn't in their ww module, do that and possibly some cam example sheet questions too.

That's about it. Should go to bed. Told someone I'd meet them at 2.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.99%
Isolating with family (122)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.48%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.33%
Loneliness (172)
9.88%
Financial worries (69)
3.96%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (159)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.85%

Watched Threads