Applying to University in the Netherlands with A-Levels? Watch

siriusEnthusiast
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm applying to universities in England but am considering applying to the Netherlands as well just to give myself some options.

I was wondering if anyone could clue me in by explaining the entry requirements and application process of Dutch universities in general, and if you could perhaps go into specifics for some universities (like Erasmus or Amsterdam).

I was also doing some research and saw something about requiring an A-Level in Maths or having to sit a Maths entry exam? Is this true? Does everyone need to have studied Maths for A-Level? Because I haven't taken it since my GCSEs (where I got an A/7).

(Just as added information, I'm thinking of applying to study Psychology or Criminology.)

Thank you so much!
stressedanddead
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm going to soon apply to university in the Netherlands and from what I've seen there are often 2 options. You have VMBO, HAVO or VWO. People go to secondary school from the age of 12 in the Netherlands and do either 4,5 or 6 years I think, you'll probably have to look more into the VWO and HAVO. You usally need 4 GCSEs + 2 A levels for HAVO and 3 A levels + 3 GCSEs for VWO (which is the 6 year education I think). They usually require grades A*-C both in GCSE and A level. Some unis require maths, but you should look into the CCVX exam if you don't have maths, some unis accept this as an alternative. Also additionally, like in England, psychology is a subject in high demand so the grade requirements may be higher than the average subject. Let me know if you need any help or advice for your application.
Breward
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Psychology is generally Numerus Fixus. This means it is selective as it is a highly demanded course like medicine. You have to apply via Studilink by 15th Jan, then take selection tests. You are then ranked from 1 to, say, 800 and the top 400 are offered places. The entry requirement is then A level grades CCC.

I applied for a numerous fixus course IRO at Leiden University. I was ranked 148 and achieved A*AAA. However, I was unable to take up my place due to not being offered any accommodation apart from a sport centre floor to sleep on in Freshers week. I applied for accommodation through ROOM.NL a year in advance, but most people apply 4-5 years before. If I applied again I would register with roomplaza.com earlier.

It is a shame Dutch universities are losing out on good students due to accommodation. I have been forced to have a gap year and probably will not apply again. I could not defer my place without going through selection again and will be travelling in Asia when I selection happens.

Good luck with your application.
Last edited by Breward; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (11)
23.4%
No (36)
76.6%

Watched Threads